• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever seen a power steering gear that only has 2 bolts?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, this is a completely different orientation.
Simply flipping the motor over and then re-orienting the short bar coming off the pivot shaft, isn’t the same as moving the entire linkage upside down and motor that far over to the side.
That’s why I was wondering if the linkage was just stock flipped over, or something completely different/interim.

I just found out that customer’s mostly original ’69 (October’68 build) has a combination of rear side marker lights, and front reflectors.
Perhaps another interesting transition.

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Yes, this is a completely different orientation.

I just found out that customer’s mostly original ’69 (October’68 build) has a combination of rear side marker lights, and front reflectors.
???

Looking at @bills_69eb Garage photos, his bronco has (or had) reflectors front and rear.
Also note: The wipers are parked pointing to drivers side, not passenger side as standard on Broncos.

1711215336613.png

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, figured that from the other interior photo of the linkage. Has to work in reverse, which is what made me think of something for an export market with someone's RHD configuration. Australia maybe?

Either that, or someone literally tried to get creative and reduce the "back-flow" of water when raining, from the wacky way Ford designed the wiper system.
After all, the Bronco wipers never did seem like the most effective design for living with regularly. Sure, it was fine for sometime utility use, but when daily driven, it lacked something that most other vehicles had naturally.
Maybe the owner just got tired of it and wanted to experiment. Just like a Blue '76 I looked at back in '78 that a local Ford employee was selling. He'd installed a third wiper with a control arm between it and one of the originals. I lucked into test driving it in the rain and was very impressed!

Paul

bills_69eb

This is how the Bronco was when i bought it ( in regards to the wiper motor placement and arms. There is no evidence that there were any other holes drilled into the windshield frame that had been filled. When I bought it, it was Red with a white top and looked like it had been driven through every briar-patch in the Alabama woods. It had obviously been that color for many many years. However, upon inspecting the Vin, its color is noted as Med-green Metallic. (P). There was faint evidence found under the hood on the fender but that was all. At the time (2001) I was a newbie to EB's and had no idea the wiper motor setup was different from most stock ones. The setup looked factory to me, wiring and all so i never questioned it. It wasn't until later i discovered i had an enigma. Wish i knew the story behind it, whether it happened in the factory or an individual got creative, but i guess I will never know.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
This is how the Bronco was when i bought it ( in regards to the wiper motor placement and arms. There is no evidence that there were any other holes drilled into the windshield frame that had been filled. When I bought it, it was Red with a white top and looked like it had been driven through every briar-patch in the Alabama woods. It had obviously been that color for many many years. However, upon inspecting the Vin, its color is noted as Med-green Metallic. (P). There was faint evidence found under the hood on the fender but that was all. At the time (2001) I was a newbie to EB's and had no idea the wiper motor setup was different from most stock ones. The setup looked factory to me, wiring and all so i never questioned it. It wasn't until later i discovered i had an enigma. Wish i knew the story behind it, whether it happened in the factory or an individual got creative, but i guess I will never know.
Hi Bill,

You have a 1969 Bronco that was built in October of 1968 with a color paint code of "P". For some reason, the internet has that code as Medium Green Metallic. I bought my 1969 Bronco with color paint code "P". It is Boxwood Green. The marti report confirms that it is Boxwood Green. I just stripped it down and removed all of the old paint and any rust. I am going to paint it Boxwood green.

When I bought it, I did a quick search on Ford color code P and google told me it was medium green metallic. So you might want to confirm yours.

Attachments

• IMG_0309.png
    IMG_0309.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Whenever I have a question about a color code, I also look at the year before and the year after paint codes.
Sometimes (quite often actually) you find that a color of a particular Bronco was supposedly “not available that year“ but instead was available in one of the adjacent years. Or they simply kept the same letter, and changed the color. Or vice versa.