• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anyone ever seen a power steering gear that only has 2 bolts?

Billsbronco

It has an L brack welded to the frame on the back side of the gear box (inside of frame) with a bolt that goes vertically down into the bracket for extra support. Never seen one with only 2 bolts into the frame. I can't post a pic but if you are a member of Tennessee Broncos on facebook i have pics posted there. The metal tag is missing from it so i have no idea what it is or what it is off of. I would like to know. Any help is appreciated.

Contributor
Would have been nice if you continued on your other thread. Please become a contributing member to help support the site and so you can post pictures of your problem and we can all help to better diagnose what you have going on.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
It has an L brack welded to the frame on the back side of the gear box (inside of frame) with a bolt that goes vertically down into the bracket for extra support. Never seen one with only 2 bolts into the frame. I can't post a pic but if you are a member of Tennessee Broncos on facebook i have pics posted there. The metal tag is missing from it so i have no idea what it is or what it is off of. I would like to know. Any help is appreciated.
Just send me a pic in an e-mail, and I'll tell you what it is. jamesroney@yahoo.com

The Tennessee Bronco group won't let me see your post.

bills_69eb

Would have been nice if you continued on your other thread. Please become a contributing member to help support the site and so you can post pictures of your problem and we can all help to better diagnose what you have going on.
I will do that. My previous thread was posted because I had to create a new profile. I have been a member since 2003 but my old email was inactive and I have been working with the admin to re-establish my original profile. Back then a contribution was not required for pics and I was unaware of the changes. I have been away for a while and am just now getting things back in order to be able to enjoy bronco-ing again. Had a slight hic-up with my blood sugar hitting 1462/coma/temporary blindness/major health lifstyle changes that have occupied my time. Once i contribute i will upload pics of my ride and changes made + new changes coming. Sorry I wasn't able to add pics to this or the other thread. Just now getting back to understanding how the site works now.

LUBr LuvR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I will do that. My previous thread was posted because I had to create a new profile. I have been a member since 2003 but my old email was inactive and I have been working with the admin to re-establish my original profile. Back then a contribution was not required for pics and I was unaware of the changes. I have been away for a while and am just now getting things back in order to be able to enjoy bronco-ing again. Had a slight hic-up with my blood sugar hitting 1462/coma/temporary blindness/major health lifstyle changes that have occupied my time. Once i contribute i will upload pics of my ride and changes made + new changes coming. Sorry I wasn't able to add pics to this or the other thread. Just now getting back to understanding how the site works now.

You’ve certainly have had some major challenges. Hopefully you’re well on your way to feeling better. Welcome back, surely your family and your Bronco are glad you’re getting back on your feet!

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA

Attachments

• IMG_20240320_181502165.jpg
    IMG_20240320_181502165.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20240319_231516412(1).jpg
    IMG_20240319_231516412(1).jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20240319_231516412.jpg
    IMG_20240319_231516412.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20240319_231349711.jpg
    IMG_20240319_231349711.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I took a look at your post on the Tennessee Broncos FB page and that appears to be an 89-95 Toyota 2WD pickup steering box. I didn't remember they only used two bolts but apparently they do.

Here's a link to a vendor selling them:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MbOuyehAlJcvgii5xLoMQR9sOtpDJ8MRoC0v8QAvD_BwE

And here's the mfg website:

https://catalog.larescorp.com/part/11583/

Todd Z.
To be more clear, the 2WD Toyota Hilux (Gen 5) power steering box does in fact use 3 mounting bolts. Two are horizontal thru the frame, and one is vertical foot on the inside of rail.

Gotta give props to the first guy that added a bracket to the inside of the frame and scabbed it on to a Bronco. Also credit to anyone that built their own bracket and installed new crush sleeves in the frame. Partial credit to anyone selling a bolt on bracket kit. Zero credit for anyone selling a full kit that needs welding.

But for a junkyard box, It might not be horrid. But it certainly looks horrid.

Interesting that somebody welded the factory Ford EB pitman arm to the Toyota stub to get it to fit. Big red flag there.

Attachments

• steering.jpg
    steering.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 45
  • pitman.jpg
    pitman.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for
To be more clear, the 2WD Toyota Hilux (Gen 5) power steering box does in fact use 3 mounting bolts. Two are horizontal thru the frame, and one is vertical foot on the inside of rail.

Gotta give props to the first guy that added a bracket to the inside of the frame and scabbed it on to a Bronco. Also credit to anyone that built their own bracket and installed new crush sleeves in the frame. Partial credit to anyone selling a bolt on bracket kit. Zero credit for anyone selling a full kit that needs welding.

But for a junkyard box, It might not be horrid. But it certainly looks horrid.

Interesting that somebody welded the factory Ford EB pitman arm to the Toyota stub to get it to fit. Big red flag there.
Thanks for the clarification on that 3rd bolt - I didn't even see that but it makes sense.

Todd Z.

bills_69eb

Thanks for the help. Wish i could have got a better pic of the bracket welded to the inside of the frame. All this was done before I purchased the bronco back in 2001. Never had any problems from it in the 23 years I have had it. When I purchased it at the time the PO had put over $4500 worth of work into it at a Offroad 4X4 shop in Huntsville, Alabama. The 302 was bored .30 over, new pistons/rings. aluminum edelbrock intake, holley 600 carb, new ignition/ignition coil, headman headers, new centerforce 2 clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, .411 gears, new brakes. and more that I cannot think of off the top of my head. I added power steering, new custom seat covers, custom vinyl floor covering, new paint inside and out, new rubber window and door seals, external mirror, wheels and tires, bumpers, radio. It at up for a while in my garage while I was dealing with other life issues and just recently rebuilt the carb, replaced all the front brake lines, and mechanical fuel filter. Getting a change in the exhaust next week (PO had straight pipes going out the back which sucked exhaust into the cab), and maybe some window tint. I also wouln't mind y'alls opinion about my wiper motor placement. The motor is located on the extreme right of the windshield frame in front of the passengers seat. Best I have anyone suggest to me was that since it was a 69 model and they went from vacuum to electric towards the end of 69, that my frame may have been drilled for vacuum but by production time they went ahead and installed the new electric motor using the vacuum drilled holes. I have no idea. There are no other holes that have been drilled or filled in the frame. I have no idea. Except I didn't realize the issue when I bought a wiper motor cover and sun visors which wont work on this setup.

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
I also wouln't mind y'alls opinion about my wiper motor placement. The motor is located on the extreme right of the windshield frame in front of the passengers seat.
Looks like this...

Attachments

• wiper motor 2.jpg
    wiper motor 2.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 43
  • wiper motor 1.jpg
    wiper motor 1.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 43

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
That's a new one to me. In the recesses of my failing brain, I seem to recall seeing something in some Ford literature in the past few years where an electric wiper retrofit kit was available from Ford for vacuum-wiper'd trucks. But you'd think we'd have seen more examples by now. Wish I could remember where I saw it...

What is the build date of your truck?

Todd Z.

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
Looks like this...
This is intriguing to me. If you move the wiper motor to the side, will the factory linkage work? And I’m meaning 77 factory motor and linkage being moved to the right. I could probably figure it out by moving it myself and testing, but I hate reinventing the wheel if it’s already been done.

Randy

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
This is intriguing to me. If you move the wiper motor to the side, will the factory linkage work? And I’m meaning 77 factory motor and linkage being moved to the right. I could probably figure it out by moving it myself and testing, but I hate reinventing the wheel if it’s already been done.

Randy
At first, I thought it was a clever retrofit. But looking at the wiper pivot mounts, I don’t see the square cut outs for the vacuum wiper motor attachment. So it’s a puzzle. Since it’s a fold down windshield, it should also be a bolt on. So someone might have bolted a later one on. But then there should be some artifacts of the old wiper motor bracket. So I gave up and posted here.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Early experiment for an export market with right hand drive, perhaps? Probably a project that was dead on arrival, and this one should’ve never made it out into the public.

Or maybe, being among the first electric wipers, they simply installed it backwards! :) Hey, maybe they noted it and just didn’t think another bronco was worth stopping the assembly line to fix.
I just love to speculierate. 😉

I haven’t tried to wrap my mind around the linkage to see if it would work correctly if things were flipped around more like stock.
Or does it even look like stock to everybody here? Or a variation on the theme?

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
I haven’t tried to wrap my mind around the linkage to see if it would work correctly if things were flipped around more like stock.
I remember now that I flipped the wiper motor 180* to get it low enough for a bikini top/riser on a ‘72 EB. There was a new bracket used but it used the original linkage.

Or does it even look like stock to everybody here?
Looks like stock, but thinking back now about having flipped one over I don’t see how the stock linkage could be long enough.

Randy

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
At first, I thought it was a clever retrofit. But looking at the wiper pivot mounts, I don’t see the square cut outs for the vacuum wiper motor attachment. So it’s a puzzle. Since it’s a fold down windshield, it should also be a bolt on. So someone might have bolted a later one on. But then there should be some artifacts of the old wiper motor bracket. So I gave up and posted here.
Thinking back and remembering flipping a previous motor 180* it required a new bracket and used the original linkage. Don’t see how the old linkage would be long enough if the motor were moved as far as the one pictured.

Randy