• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ring gear bolts, lock washer or no lock washer?

OP
OP
Mikes Early Bronco

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy
While we’re on the subject, why do the ring gear bolts (factory and aftermarket) only thread in 1/4” when they still have 1/4” left to go? The extra depth would add much more strength.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
While we’re on the subject, why do the ring gear bolts (factory and aftermarket) only thread in 1/4” when they still have 1/4” left to go? The extra depth would add much more strength.
Doesn't add strength. If the fastener bottoms out in the hole before the clamp load is achieved, the parts are not actually held together.
Bolt torque isn't what is actually the desired result of tightening a fastener, it is bolt stretch. Torque is just an easy way to get a close stretch measurement. As variables change, so does the required torque to reach a desired bolt stretch. How clean are the threads? Lube on them (loctite will act as a lube until it sets up). The type of lube as well (ARP specs different torques for different lubes). Material it is made of (ARP often publishes different bolt torque numbers than OE specs). Even the finish of the threads. ARP sells a bolt stretch gauge for tightening rod bolts. You use a box end wrench and tighten until you hit your stretch number. I have even heard of using ultrasonic gauges to measure the length of a bolt when you can't access the back side to do a measurement.

There is more to getting the correctly tightened fastener than a few more threads for it to screw into.

OP
OP
Mikes Early Bronco

Mikes Early Bronco

Contributor
Oily Driveway Guy
a bolt only needs its diameter threaded in to reach maximum strength.
Looking at it, I guess in this case, the purpose of the bolt is more so to stop shear force rather than axial force?

Ooh, as I’m writing this, more Bronco parts just sowed up.