• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery Help/Options?

cmatthews7

Loc.
Lake Placid
I have used the Optima red tops in several rides and never had any problems. The first one I bought is probably 6-7 years old and still going strong. My biggest reasons for going to Optima were that the warranty on standard batteries is crap (steadily drops in value), I have no concerns of leaking battery acid, and that piece of mind knowing you have a little value when you turn your key over.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The Optima warranty (especially on the Redtop) is crappier than a MotorCraft at <1/2 the Optima's price. Read the fine print - if you have ANY non-stock electrical equipment (winch, stereo, fog lights, a radar detector; even an upgraded alternator), the Redtop warranty is VOID.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are you planning on steep hills and boulders? If not you won't have to use gel cells. A standard type costs a lot less. I always get the ones at Walmart and have never been able to use the warrenty since they have always lasted more than five years. The only thing I have changed with the battery is going to side terminals. They are a lot safer and cleaner.

Gel cells use a jellied electrolyte and are not commonly used in SLA applications, so did you mean AGM? AGM uses an Absorbant Glass Matt separator material betweeen the positive and negative plates for isolation and the groups are compressed when they're stuffed into the battery box. This type of setup gives you a battery where the plates are fully supported by the separator material combined with the compression of each cell making it much more resistant to vibration than a standard flooded cell battery. Just a guess, but I would think most of our rigs do have vibration. :cool:

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
RRRAAAYYY recommends Deka Intimidator or Odyssey if I recall correctly.

My old Optima yellow top from 2003 died in April of 09. I was happy with it. I bought two at the same time and the other one is still going strong. Shortly thereafter 2003 Optima started producing sucky batteries.

In April I picked up my new Deka Intimidator 9A78DT from the local Owens Auto Supply for $149.00. That beotch is heavy!

mr.ee's

got my Deka Intimidator at TriStateBattery.Com
no sales tax
free shipping

mr.ee's

they go for around $139 now.

they have periodic sales.

2yrs ago dec. i caught a sale and got one for $119.