• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery issue/ Help!!

joelozano

Hello Im running a 302/5.0 EFI but battery gets drained after driving a while, has a new alternator and battery. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Put a voltmeter on your battery while the engine is running. If you are not registering 14 or so volts, look at the alternator wiring. Maybe as simple as something not hooked up, may be a toasted alternator/voltage regulator. You state its a new alternator... I had two brand new (not reman) alternators test bad off the shelf from Autozone. Got my money back and bought a powermaster.

robs68

Do you have a a small light as a resistor in the line if not the alt will not charge the battery. I put a small dash light right after the alternator because I was having the same problem. Normally the light is in the dash on the mustangs. If the light is on then the battery is not charging.

gr8scott

Bronco Guru
Do you have a a small light as a resistor in the line if not the alt will not charge the battery. I put a small dash light right after the alternator because I was having the same problem. Normally the light is in the dash on the mustangs. If the light is on then the battery is not charging.

Uh, what?%) I have no such light and my alternator charges just fine...

69red

Loc.
Cochrane, AB,CAN
i've had this problem before: these were the causes:
1 corrosion on the wire harness that plugs into the voltage regulator
2 poor contact between the big wire from the alt and the batt cable at the starter soleniod lug.
3 bad voltage regulator
4 bad alt.

good luck!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've heard of this ever since we've been doing 3G swaps, but have never run across the need myself. At least not yet.
Have installed quite a few 3G and 4G alts without a light and have not had an issue. However, I want to install lights on all the setups anyway, just as an additional warning.
In the case of a lamp, as opposed to a resistor by itself, it was my understanding that it's not to put resistance into the wire, but to keep the alternator working in case the bulb blows out.
So if you do have a dash light, always use a resistor loop to fend off that problem. If you don't have a lamp, I guess it's hit-or-miss?

What alternator did that t-bird setup come with Arikilen? Is it a 2G or 3G? Standard or something exotic? Just curious. I don't want to forget about this the next time I hook one up and it doesn't work!

Paul