• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery Help/Options?

Big D

In desperate need of a new battery. I was going to go the Optima route, but heard that Optima isn't what it once was. As for electrical, I'm basically stock. I've done the H4 upgrades. No extra lights, no winch, nothing else. Which route should I go? Optima red or yellow, or something else? As always, I appreciate all the help from this site.

Doug

Project_bronco

Loc.
Cottonwood, CA
I don't know much about optima. But unless you really think you need a gel cell, think about saving money and just getting a plain old acid battery. You can get a decent battery with pretty high CCA (Cold cranking amps) for around $90. I've been using mine since '03 and it was used then! Granted I don't think you have to worry about leaking terminals with gel cells, but I think you may have to have a special charger for them? Some correct me if I'm wrong, maybe that's just the AGM batteries.
Good luck with the search, research the amps, especially CCA. Don't get too caught up in brand names, but don't buy blatant crap also. ;D

OP
OP
B

Big D

I was looking at going to the Optima type because of the isolated cell design. In your standard battery, I was told the plates can shake around and make contact with each other. Twice now, I've had battery failure on the trail. So, I'm just trying to rid myself of that chance.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Optima never WAS what it was supposed to be. The only person who would actually benefit from its design is someone who couldn't mount his battery upright in a tray; someone who needed to drill a hole thru his battery & mount it sideways on a plastic bolt.

Anyone else would be better off with a high-quality normal battery, like a MotorCraft, Interstate, or Sears DieHard Gold. Group 65 is about right for an eB.

Last edited:

1970mule

Bronco Guru
yeah i have an optima, and it looks cool and everything but i .don't think it sany better than the others. i see you are in redlands if it gets super hot in the summer you have to watch for the gel possible evaporating, not common but can happen so i heard. but you can hang them in crazy positions if you need to.

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I have over 30 batteries that I keep in service, I started using Optimas 14 years ago when I put one in my 69 Bronco. I now have 5 Optima's in service and have not replaced one, even the 14 year old one is doing fine. I just expect 10 years or more from them, 6 is max on a lead acid that I would expect. You can't go wrong with the gel cell.

7bronco6

Loc.
PA
I have the Sears Diehard..It was really pricey, but it hasn't given me any problems.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...watch for the gel possible evaporating...
You can't go wrong with the gel cell.
There is no gel in any Optima battery. Ever. They're Absorbed Glass Mat batteries (AGM), which is just another configuration of the same old lead-acid cell that my 10-year-warranted MotorCraft battery uses.

MotorCraft, Sears Gold, Interstate, & a few others are all top-of-the-line batteries made by Johnson Controls. JC also makes cheaper lines of batteries, including DuraCrap & Optima.

Last edited:

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Optima never WAS what it was supposed to be. The only person who would actually benefit from its design is someone who couldn't mount his battery upright in a tray; someone who needed to drill a hole thru his battery & mount it sideways on a plastic bolt.

Anyone else would be better off with a high-quality normal battery, like a MotorCraft, Interstate, or Sears DieHard Gold. Group 65 is about right for an eB.

I don't agree with any of this. I have a red top that is 14-15 yrs. old. I paid $130 for it. How much would I have spent with lead acid batteries over that same period? Vehicles have come and gone, but the red top was still there. No leaks.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
...MotorCraft, Sears Gold & Platinum, Interstate, & a few others are all top-of-the-line batteries made by Johnson Controls. JC also makes cheaper lines of batteries, including DuraCrap & Optima.

Just my two cents, but I've been in a lot of battery plants in my life and I would run either a DEKA Intimidator (East Penn Mfg) AGM battery or a Hawker Odyssey AGM battery (Sears Platinum) if I had a choice. The Intimidator is probably the best bang for the buck IMHO while the Odyssey really is the best of the best, but you pay for it. When buying a battery, go for weight over CCA. More lead equals more power storage, period. CCA is too easy to tweak for marketing purposes because it sells batteries, not because it's a better battery for your application. JCI tends to make decent batteries, especially if you're looking in the low to mid price range.

I've seen JCI batteries roll off of East Penn Mfg assembly lines all day, so unless you've seen the label of the battery, don't necessarily assume you know who might be making it. Most batteries are just brand labled...Interstate doesn't make batteries, nor does Motorcraft or Sears. They're just low bidder contracts. Certain products, particularly the lower quantity, higher-quality, higher-margin type products like the Sears Platinum from Hawker tend to be more consistent with respect to origins, but not so much with the commodity stuff in my experience.

Tobin

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I've got 3 Odyssey AGM batteries (Sears Platinum) and so far happy with them too. My EB with get either the Red Top, if it's still kicking, or one of these. Also, I have a Blue Top Marine that I forgot to mention. I think it's on it's 4th yr. No problems there either.

7bronco6

Loc.
PA
Here's the one I have...diehardIt only has a 3 year warranty and its expensive..But I got a good deal on it because of a relative works there.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I had good luck with my red top, it is living its second life in my 300M backup car. I replaced it with the Diehard Platinum dual terminals. It cost a few bucks more but weighed close to 60 lbs. It is manufactured for Sears by Odessey. Its only been 6 months, but its one heck of a paperweight.

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Also had a Motorcraft top of the line and it lasted about 8 years....

MattW

My 2003 4Runner still has the factory Panosonic in it, great battery. Still cranks away without the slightest hesitation. As for my Bronco, I just bit the bullet today and put a red top Optima in it. Figured if it lasts 5-6 years it will pay for itself. At least that's what I told myself as I was swiping my card to pay for it...

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm liking my DEKA INTIMIDATOR so far.
Got tired of enacting the Autozone warranty on their POS's.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Are you planning on steep hills and boulders? If not you won't have to use gel cells. A standard type costs a lot less. I always get the ones at Walmart and have never been able to use the warrenty since they have always lasted more than five years. The only thing I have changed with the battery is going to side terminals. They are a lot safer and cleaner.

crab

Bronco Guru
If the Air Force, Navy, Coast Gaurd, etc. uses odyssey, that's a good enough reason for me. Picked up a couple of these http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500.htm
List was something like $298, but I bought a couple other odyssey's for my boat and got the 1500 down to $208. Time will tell......