• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Battery is shorting out- Help!

COSCAG00

So I am finally getting back on my Bronco after taking some time off for the family. I am in the process of wrapping up a 351 install and hitting the home stretch.

Here is my dilemma. I went to connect the battery and the positive cable/post connection starts sparking and smoking on me so I have something crossed some where.

Here is how I have it hooked up: Negative post on battery to ground on engine block and the same bolt also has a ground strap from the block to the frame.

Positive post on battery to starter solenoid post on left side if you are looking at it straight on. Right side post on starter solenoid to starter. I also have a 3g set up that goes from the post on the 3g alternator to the left side post on the starter solenoid.

Here is what I know. If you disconnect the starter from the solenoid and leave the 3g alternator hooked up and hook the battery up no sparks and all is good. If you leave the starter hooked up to the solenoid and disconnect the 3g alternator it sparks/shorts out when you hook the battery up.

So what that tells me is my issue is from the solenoid to the starter is that a correct assumption? Also the solenoid is brand new and the cable from the solenoid and starter are used.

So is my solenoid bad or is the starter grounding out somewhere?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
If the key is not on there should be no power going to a so called bad starter so the solnoid must be bad or wired wrong.

ransil

Bronco Guru
always connect the ground last, positive should be done first.

not your problem just a procedure thing

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
It almost sounds like you have 2 problems. If you hook up the starter and it doesn't turn the engine over but it's arcing, the starter is shorting to the post. Make sure the band on the forward end of the starter isn't touching the post. Also check that the start wire doesn't have 12 volts with the key off.

Jim W.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Thanks for the replies guys, this gives me a direction to go.

I also have the old solenoid that I know was working before I started the motor swap so I may try it to see if the new solenoid is bad.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Just a quick update. The starter solenoid was no good. I installed the old one and it cranked just fine.

OP
OP
C

COSCAG00

Was it a new solenoid that went bad?

Yup, It was a bad brand spanking new solenoid. The old on is who knows how old but still going strong. I will keep it as back up to the second new one I just bought.