• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AX15 vs NV3550

TBoyd

Loc.
The Woodlands
After much reading and deliberation, I think I have narrowed the transmission swap down to 2 candidates... AX15 or the NV3550. Can you guys help with some pros and cons ?

Ease of conversion ?
$$ ?
Donor availability ?
Placement of shifter ?
Can I keep my stock T shifter?
Thoughts ?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
NV isn't made anymore so anything you find will be a rebuild or used.
AX is still being produced so you "could" get a new one. But any AX you find would likely have fewer miles on it in the used arena.

Both good tranny's for less than 300 lb/ft of torque and less than 7000 GVWR.

They are both nearly the same length as the stock set up so drive shaft mods are not needed.
The vendors sell twin stick kits for your transfer case. Highly recommended.
Probably the easiest overdrive tranny your going to find.
Folks seem to really like the shifter position with these.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
There is a difference in the gear ratios.
AX15 is 1st 3.83:1; 2nd 2.33:1; 3rd 1.44:1; 4th 1.00:1; 5th 0.79:1, and Reverse 4.76:1. NV3550 is 1st 4.01:1; 2nd 2.32:1; 3rd 1.40:1; 4th 1.00:1; 5th 0.78:1, and Reverse 3.57:1.
I've heard some criticism about the low first gear of the NV3550, but I feel it especially comes in handy in stop n go traffic. Less time on the clutch.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Lots of the jeep crowd are going with the AX when the NV fails. The AX is said to be a little stronger. But for most purposes they are basically the same. The gearing difference is minimal and would be barely noticeable unless you just want a slightly lower first gear. Id go with the ax but really Id go with either one I could get cheaper.

OP
OP
T

TBoyd

Loc.
The Woodlands
Thanks guys... seems no smoking guns to sway either way, and believe that the conversions kits are similarly priced with similar level of complexity for installing.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The NV requires a very specific synthetic-only gear lube or it may (will?) fail. When they were new, it would void the warranty if it was found that the incorrect fluid was used.
The AX was not so picky if I remember.

I went with the NV anyway, because of the lower first gear.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The NV requires a very specific synthetic-only gear lube or it may (will?) fail. When they were new, it would void the warranty if it was found that the incorrect fluid was used.
The AX was not so picky if I remember.

I went with the NV anyway, because of the lower first gear.

Paul

The special Mopar lube oil used in the NV3550 is one of those high mileage/low maintenance products used in many of the late model vehicles.
My son has a Jeep TJ with a NV3550. His Jeep has over 140K miles on it and the oil has never been changed (against my advice.) He's driven it hard and had zero issued other than a failed clutch throwout bearing.
The NV3550 is pretty tough.
The one recommendation I have though is to go to the Chrysler dealer and buy an additional quart of the stuff. The kits from Advance Adapters come with just two quarts which isn't nearly enough.

01JLH

Rockland Standard Gear offers a trans that they call their “terminator” transmission. It is a replacement for the NV3550 and AX15 in jeeps. It is essentially a souped up AX15 which is supposed to be able to handle 450 ft lbs of torque. I ordered mine with the slightly lower first gear which is available from them. I spoke with George there and he fixed me up. I’ve had both the NV3550 and this AX15, the 3550 shifts more car like and the AX15 shifts a little more trucky. Both very good in our broncos. Shifter comes through trans tunnel in exactly the perfect spot. Looks like a factory installation if you use a smooth collar on the steering column.

Mcl

I have been looking at the "terminator". What did this setup cost?

71' Bronc

Loc.
Bozeman
Rockland Standard "Terminator"

Price from RSG is $1595.00 plus about 150.00 shipping (to Montana). Just hung up with them.

fritzbutler

Hello has anyone installed a Rockland Standard "Terminator" transmission?

I was looking at a NV3550 but read about the Terminator and want to see how hard it is to instal. I was told by Rockland that it uses the AX15 body so the adapter kits are the same.

Any help would be awesome since I have never done this lololol

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey fritz, welcome to classicbroncos! I've heard about that trans too, but know nothing about it.
The fact that it's in the AX15 case however should make it virtually the same install, unless something like the shifter positioning has changed, or perhaps output and input shaft sizes?
Got a link to further information?

Good luck. Maybe someone's done one already.

Paul

Broncodan77

Price from RSG is $1595.00 plus about 150.00 shipping (to Montana). Just hung up with them.
I was looking at replacing my nv3550 with the rockland standard "Terminator"
I was curious how it held up and if you would recommend

laserfish

Had an NV in mine since around 2007 and never had a hiccup. Atlas adapter made it super easy. Don't know how we ever drove it without overdrive!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I haven’t heard much talk about the Terminator recently. I wonder if 71 Bronc ever got theirs?

Gupster88

Contributor
Guppy
Loc.
Tillamook OR
I have been running an AX15 behind 400HP motor running about 385 #s torque for quite sometime . Bought my tranny and kit from Wildhorses .
Running 4:11s with 33 inch tires. Luv it! Have ran the crap outta of it for a few years now without any complaints. Granted. I do not take it rock climbing or anything like that. All pavement and gravel roads.

Broncodan77

I haven’t heard much talk about the Terminator recently. I wonder if 71 Bronc ever got theirs?
I'm looking at replacing my nv3550 with the terminator. Was looking for some feed back from anybody that has gone that route. They say it's a plug and play change.

Gath of Rod

Not to steal the thread, but does the NV3550 require a 1" body lift? On Wild Horses, the AX15 kit in the shopping cart "recommends" a 1" lift. No such item when pickin the NV3550. Looking for real world experience with no body lift.