• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Let's see your NV3550/AX15 Shifters?

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Hey Guys,

After getting multiple requests for a stainless steel shifter that will match our twins-sticks, and have the optimal bend/length for our Bronco Brothers, we are requesting whatever input you guys might have?

Thank you in advance,
Jon Barricklow

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The NV3550 is darned near perfect.
The one bugaboo is the factory shifter is really long. Sort of like rowing a boat.
Here's a photo of JB twin stix and a my B&M NV3550 shifter.
I cut a slot at the back of the B&M shifter shaft (below the boot level) with a disc grinder.
I sat in the driver seat and pulled (bent) the shifter back to a comfortable position.
Tig welded the shifter gap, and polished it up.

Attachments

• shifters1.jpg
    shifters1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 714

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll be looking for this. I have your twin sticks and getting ready to install the NV3550.

jmangi62

Bronco Guru
My shifter hits the cage if you're not careful,gotta figure something out there lol.:cool:

Attachments

• Dash mod 5.jpg
    Dash mod 5.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 437
  • Dash mod 6.jpg
    Dash mod 6.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 351
  • dash & interior.jpg
    dash & interior.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 324

WILDHORSES

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
USA
Hi Jon, make sure you cover the 3 different styles of attaching the shift handles. Here's 2 of the three. This applies to the 3550 not sure about the AX15. There are also shorter throw aftermarket options which are also different. ;D

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_7473.JPG
    IMG_7473.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_7474.JPG
    IMG_7474.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 304

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Following this. I have the stock jeep shifter and would prefer something to match your twin sticks that I purchased. When are you looking to have something?

ChrisC74

Hi Jon, make sure you cover the 3 different styles of attaching the shift handles. Here's 2 of the three. This applies to the 3550 not sure about the AX15. There are also shorter throw aftermarket options which are also different. ;D

Jim
I guess I have the third type...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1463188791640.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1463188791640.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 284

ChrisC74

My shifter hits the cage if you're not careful,gotta figure something out there lol.:cool:
I went to the local muffler shop and paid them a couple of bucks to bend mine. We did it in several steps until I was comfortable with it. This photo is in first gear and I have a few inches until I hit the dash. This will do for me until I get my giant hole filled in from my side shift. After that I am going to send my black shift stick to Jon to match the bend and angle with the same stainless steel shift rod as his twin sticks.
c1b2d120eac369927c49cfb2e5c56d11.jpg

e80ca625a57784195bb0fefb3bd77807.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JB Fab

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
The NV3550 is darned near perfect.
The one bugaboo is the factory shifter is really long. Sort of like rowing a boat.
Here's a photo of JB twin stix and a my B&M NV3550 shifter.
I cut a slot at the back of the B&M shifter shaft (below the boot level) with a disc grinder.
I sat in the driver seat and pulled (bent) the shifter back to a comfortable position.
Tig welded the shifter gap, and polished it up.

Nice, do you have a side view picture to illustrate the amount/location of bend?

OP
OP
JB Fab

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Following this. I have the stock jeep shifter and would prefer something to match your twin sticks that I purchased. When are you looking to have something?

Very soon, for the square mount.....
We just need some measurements as a starting point, and a couple of people that can test the square mount (with pictures in the next couple of weeks)?

Jon

OP
OP
JB Fab

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Here is what the "T" type AX-15 application looks like.....
It's hard to tell in this picture but the AX-15 shifter is bent back and toward the driver.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 342

CoronaDog

Loc.
San Antonio
I'm in the middle of an AX15 install. Hope to get it done this weekend if it ever stops raining. I am very interested in getting a matching set to the J twin sticks you made for me.

work765

Jon, that main shifter looks great! Can you post some more pics when you get a chance. That would look perfect next to your twin sticks I have :) I think about it once and awhile how your twin sticks are probably the nicest looking thing in my cab! The rest looks old and beat up.
Thanks again for those :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redwards69

Loc.
Double Oak, TX
Very soon, for the square mount.....
We just need some measurements as a starting point, and a couple of people that can test the square mount (with pictures in the next couple of weeks)?

Jon

I wouldn't mind testing it, but my rig won't be finished until July. Keep us posted though as I'll be ready to buy when it's done.

Dbteak

I'm a little late to the party but here is my input. I would like to bend it back another 1". While shifting, the shifter is about 2 inches from my leg. Hope the pictures help. The pictures are the transmission in first gear. Doug
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_002_zpsxgwoltzp.jpg.html] [/URL]Measured from the steering column. It is an aftermarket tilt.
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_001_zpsqds3z1tj.jpg.html] [/URL]
This measurement is from the drivers door
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_003_zpspd6dpmec.jpg.html] [/URL]

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
When I first installed my NV3550, it had the stock shifter. It had a very long throw. Sort of like rowing a boat.
It really didn't do much for a sporty feel.
I couldn't see any bending or a simple lever change would fix that, so I replaced it with a complete aftermarket shifter.

But then again, if you're just after a matching look, and are happy with the long throw, sure you can easily make a stainless lever, that looks just like the twin sticks.

OP
OP
JB Fab

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
When I first installed my NV3550, it had the stock shifter. It had a very long throw. Sort of like rowing a boat.
It really didn't do much for a sporty feel.
I couldn't see any bending or a simple lever change would fix that, so I replaced it with a complete aftermarket shifter.

But then again, if you're just after a matching look, and are happy with the long throw, sure you can easily make a stainless lever, that looks just like the twin sticks.

If anyone needed, we could duplicate the the interface of the aftermarket shifter too? If they are a single piece handle we can splice.

OP
OP
JB Fab

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I'm a little late to the party but here is my input. I would like to bend it back another 1". While shifting, the shifter is about 2 inches from my leg. Hope the pictures help. The pictures are the transmission in first gear. Doug
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_002_zpsxgwoltzp.jpg.html] [/URL]Measured from the steering column. It is an aftermarket tilt.
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_001_zpsqds3z1tj.jpg.html] [/URL]
This measurement is from the drivers door
[URL=http://s1232.photobucket.com/user/dbteak/media/WP_20160518_003_zpspd6dpmec.jpg.html] [/URL]

Thanks for the measurements, unfortunately I don't have a bronco with a NV3550/AX-15 in the shop to use as a reference. Can you tell me what the length of the shifter is, the approximate degree of bend, and how far the bend is from the bottom?