• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

AX15 vs NV3550

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
It seems like both of these transmissions are great for a 5 speed swap. I realize the gear ratios are slightly different.

The total conversion appears to be about the same cost? There seems to be a LOT of them working well behind a stout 351W.

For my application probably 350/350+ hp/tq, big tires and low gears, 60/40 street trail use...never anything to tough or abusive for my old classic.

Is this NV3550 becoming harder to buy, less of them available?

Any input one-way or-another is appreciated!

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
The NV isn't made anymore, so you will be buying used or rebuilt which is okay.
The AX is still produced. You could have a new one.

They are very similar, it seems that the AX may have had a slight advantage but not enough to really sway someone.

Jim at WH said that they sell the AX because it is what they can offer new, not rebuilt.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I follow a Jeep forum and the same debate has been going on there for a long time.
I don't know about the AX15, but the NV3550 specs rate it at 300 ft lbs of torque.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Your low diff gears will help the transmissions last longer for not being the middle-man between a torquey engine and those big tires. Big help for everything upstream to have the right gearing.

Paul

PCDan

Loc.
Park City
I went with an AX15 for my 375hp/390 torque crate .... with 4.56 gears for 33s. and 31 spline shafts. Hoping it’s all a good combo.

OP
OP
Whoaa

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
I went with an AX15 for my 375hp/390 torque crate .... with 4.56 gears for 33s. and 31 spline shafts. Hoping it’s all a good combo.

That's a stout engine sir! For my application, and smaller engine numbers, I'm running 4:88 gearing w/ 35" rubber.

It seemed like the New Ventures 5 speed was a really good choice for the swap for quite some time. Apparently now that same NV3550 has been superseded to the AX15. From everything I can gather they're very comparable transmissions and both make an excellent swap into a Bronco