• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1976 ford bronco C4 shift lever

Cabo Kurt

Loc.
Gold canyon az 85117
I need a shifter lever for a 76 ford bronco c4 or some one that can make me some?? Gear shift lever with slots fir reverse safety switch...
Kurt Strecker Vivabroncos.com

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
These will be in the mail tomorrow.
570d17f8e1ecea49d63bd194353c281f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
what does this do. I have a c4 and I believe it starts in any gear

It's just a stock replacement for the stock gear selector lever for an early Bronco. It allows the use of the column shifter and neutral safety switch. A lot of levers got cut off over the years because floor shifters were put in or the C4 was moved to a different Bronco.

It sounds like you don't have a neutral safety switch but that may be because you don't have wiring for it. All factory harnesses had the wiring starting in '73.

Racker

Loc.
Martinez
Hey @Viperwolf1 I could use one! Still available? Thanks much in advance! It's for my 71 with C4 that was cut off due to a hurst shifter. I recently rolled back to column shift.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I can make you one. I would need to weld the new lever on the existing shaft from your C4. Those shafts are very difficult to find anymore. Since there was no Bronco C4 option in 1971 I need to make sure you have the correct shaft. It needs to have 2 slots at the exposed end where the neutral safety switch (NSS) would slide down on. If it doesn't have the slots you can't use a NSS. There are also length differences in the shafts over the years that affect the kickdown lever but if its matched to the year of the C4 it will work. In short, its best to use the existing shaft if it has the slots.

The lever also needs to be clocked correctly to put the NSS within it's range of adjustment. I have a jig for this. Correct clocking will allow the stock linkage to work with a stock steering column. If you have an aftermarket column you may have to adjust it's linkage to work correctly and gear indicator to be accurate. You will need to add the pivot stud (https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/73-77-ford-bronco-c4-automatic-transmission-shift-rod-pinto) to the lever, I don't supply these. There will be a hole in the lever in the correct location but you may need to enlarge it slightly to fit the stud.

The way this works is you remove your existing shaft and mail it to me. I attach the new lever and send it back. I usually have them back in the mail the following day. Then you re-install it. Its not a difficult job but it can be messy. You need to remove the pan and valve body to get the shaft out.

Cost is $50 which includes return priority shipping.

Phil Lindenmuth

Racker

Loc.
Martinez
I can make you one. I would need to weld the new lever on the existing shaft from your C4. Those shafts are very difficult to find anymore. Since there was no Bronco C4 option in 1971 I need to make sure you have the correct shaft. It needs to have 2 slots at the exposed end where the neutral safety switch (NSS) would slide down on. If it doesn't have the slots you can't use a NSS. There are also length differences in the shafts over the years that affect the kickdown lever but if its matched to the year of the C4 it will work. In short, its best to use the existing shaft if it has the slots.

The lever also needs to be clocked correctly to put the NSS within it's range of adjustment. I have a jig for this. Correct clocking will allow the stock linkage to work with a stock steering column. If you have an aftermarket column you may have to adjust it's linkage to work correctly and gear indicator to be accurate. You will need to add the pivot stud (https://tomsoffroad.com/parts/73-77-ford-bronco-c4-automatic-transmission-shift-rod-pinto) to the lever, I don't supply these. There will be a hole in the lever in the correct location but you may need to enlarge it slightly to fit the stud.

The way this works is you remove your existing shaft and mail it to me. I attach the new lever and send it back. I usually have them back in the mail the following day. Then you re-install it. Its not a difficult job but it can be messy. You need to remove the pan and valve body to get the shaft out.

Cost is $50 which includes return priority shipping.

Phil Lindenmuth
Thanks Phil, I'll get the bronco back from getting some other work done tomorrow or Weds and circle back with you. Thanks again!