• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would you buy an Electric Bronco?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
You can buy a hyundai EV pretty cheap these days, they get amazing reviews.
Duffy I looked up the Hyundai Kona electric 2022 model for $34,000 with a 258 mile range. $ 34K is way better than 100K so your point is well taken, I still don't see people rushing out to spend 35,000 plus taxes to buy them. I am suprised to see them rated that well as most Hyundai are viewed as throw away cars. Thats just my opinion though.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Absolutely. But I would guess as a group, the bronco folks would be the last I would target.

EV is bigger fast and stronger. Once range gets into the 500 miles I will switch our personal rigs and work rigs over. But that will be a few years before they can do that.

no sheet.. leave em alone

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Hyundai's USED to be throw away cars...not anymore. 10yr/100K warranty on powertrain because they DON"T need it. What's Ford's warranty... oh yeah, half that! lol

There are a LOT of things they need to change about electric cars before I'd buy one but WA State just jumped out in front of the Nation and all new cars sold will be electric in 2030.... that's 7 1/2 years is all. They have a lot of work to do in 7 1/2 yrs. TriCities area (nuke plant area) was under watch for rolling brown outs last summer.... We have hydro electric all over the State. Greenies are trying to get hydroelectric dams torn down and want electric cars too.

Yeah, got some major changes to make in our society b4 we all are driving electric

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
As a society, we are getting more and more pushed toward Electric vehicles. Whether you like it or not, the forward progress toward electric vehicles is moving at a strong pace. Just look at all the big vehicle manufacturing companies like Ford and GM line up of current and future Electric vehicles. I quickly scanned an article about Chevy's plans to make an Electric Corvette.

With that said, would you buy an Electric Bronco?

Don't get me wrong...fuel vehicles and fuel will still be available, but with the current legislation, Electric is being pushed heavily. Uncle Sam doesn't like people getting a better deal without taxing people. This is why the current administration has put forth in helping in the development of the "electric car" infrastructure. When I hear that, it means, at least to me, that they will be putting higher prices of electric vehicle manufacturing materials and changing the price of plain ole electricity.

I know I am just ranting and I am not an expert in any of this. However, when I pull into work, most of my 27 colleagues are either driving a Tesla, hybrid or other form of electric vehicle (heck, there's a mini cooper in our parking lot that also get charged). Meanwhile, I am one of the few still driving his 2007 F150 and don't have plans of getting an electric car in the near future. However, I am investing in the electric car "infrastructure": from Rivian, chargepoint, Lucid, Workhorse, Ideanomics, and my robotics company Sarcos.

Check out this company and how they made an Electric EB:

BTW, when I mean electric Bronco, I mean new model.
NO way.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
No way would I do a bronco as an electric vehicle. Not because I disagree with them or anything, I just love old cars/trucks because of the roughness and loud powerful engines. It is the smells, sounds, and just general feeling you get when you are driving something that was built the way those were. I have a hybrid in my stable, fantastic SUV that is built like a tank. I was hesitant at first, but I have come to really like it.

Now, having said that. If I see an electric Bronco anywhere I will be all over it, drooling and asking a ton of questions. My neighbor had his Rivian R1T delivered a couple of weeks ago, very cool truck! I think electric is here to stay, just not how it is being advertised right now. We have to get honest with our infrastructure before we can have a real conversation about this.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
As a society, we are getting more and more pushed toward Electric vehicles. Whether you like it or not, the forward progress toward electric vehicles is moving at a strong pace. Just look at all the big vehicle manufacturing companies like Ford and GM line up of current and future Electric vehicles. I quickly scanned an article about Chevy's plans to make an Electric Corvette.

With that said, would you buy an Electric Bronco?

Don't get me wrong...fuel vehicles and fuel will still be available, but with the current legislation, Electric is being pushed heavily. Uncle Sam doesn't like people getting a better deal without taxing people. This is why the current administration has put forth in helping in the development of the "electric car" infrastructure. When I hear that, it means, at least to me, that they will be putting higher prices of electric vehicle manufacturing materials and changing the price of plain ole electricity.

I know I am just ranting and I am not an expert in any of this. However, when I pull into work, most of my 27 colleagues are either driving a Tesla, hybrid or other form of electric vehicle (heck, there's a mini cooper in our parking lot that also get charged). Meanwhile, I am one of the few still driving his 2007 F150 and don't have plans of getting an electric car in the near future. However, I am investing in the electric car "infrastructure": from Rivian, chargepoint, Lucid, Workhorse, Ideanomics, and my robotics company Sarcos.

Check out this company and how they made an Electric EB:

BTW, when I mean electric Bronco, I mean new model.
Can I ask, what industry you work in where the majority are driving electric vehicles? I would think that is the minority..

MikeCon

Can I ask, what industry you work in where the majority are driving electric vehicles? I would think that is the minority..
We don't mine the materials needed to make the batteries..Don't know how long they will last. They dont have the range for trips. And don't know how to dispose of old batteries. Democrats want to eliminate oil industry to force us to buy electric. Oil and natural gas run our factories so supplies will only get more expensive.
So I guess i'm against government telling me what I am allowed to drive.

OP
OP
BRONCOchild2.0

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
Just a plain o'le educator in a small school, in Los Angeles (so that might help with the building of a picture).

OP
OP
BRONCOchild2.0

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
No way would I do a bronco as an electric vehicle. Not because I disagree with them or anything, I just love old cars/trucks because of the roughness and loud powerful engines. It is the smells, sounds, and just general feeling you get when you are driving something that was built the way those were. I have a hybrid in my stable, fantastic SUV that is built like a tank. I was hesitant at first, but I have come to really like it.

Now, having said that. If I see an electric Bronco anywhere I will be all over it, drooling and asking a ton of questions. My neighbor had his Rivian R1T delivered a couple of weeks ago, very cool truck! I think electric is here to stay, just not how it is being advertised right now. We have to get honest with our infrastructure before we can have a real conversation about this.
My neighbor is a real world test driver for Rivian. He drove around the truck and their SUV. I was really interested in reserving one, but at the moment the price tag is way out of my financial comfort zone. I can technically get two new cars with a price tag of over $70,000 for a Rivian truck.

hsach

Contributor
Members Only
My neighbor is a real world test driver for Rivian. He drove around the truck and their SUV. I was really interested in reserving one, but at the moment the price tag is way out of my financial comfort zone. I can technically get two new cars with a price tag of over $70,000 for a Rivian truck.
It is a very cool truck. The passthrough storage behind the rear doors was a great feature, can't believe how much room is there. He wants to take me for a ride, said I won't believe how fast it accelerates.

marjama

Contributor
I'm all for EV's, but ho hum on an EV Bronco. I mean, that's not really the point or the purpose for me. I do believe that a lot of vintage cars and trucks will eventually get converted over, but it's not going to be very soon. Costs need to come down and battery technology needs to improve before we're all cruising around in EV's, but it will happen eventually. EV's are brilliant around town for your average person (which is unlikely to be most of us since we're EB owners and hardly average! :))

I think the comments about system capacity are interesting. I wonder what it will take to actually create the amount of power necessary to supply a country full of EV's? I do think a lot of people think EV's are somehow magical and they will somehow reduce our burden on the planet. People want it all, but they are blind to everything that happens behind the scenes (often intentionally, of course). Currently coal burning power plants generate ~40% of the worlds electricity. Pretty sure that's not zero emissions. I'm hoping there are some really intelligent people out there working this problem though. I'd love to see the results of an impact study comparing the use, acquisition and consumption of various energy resources and how they impact the planet.

So, anyway...I just found a local guy selling a 363W that makes 500+hp. Seriously considering it for the Bronco...or maybe an "economical" Coyote engine. 🤪

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You will need a gas powered motor to turn the generator for the electric motor. or you will need a gas powered motor to turn the generator to produce the electricity to crack the water to produce hydrogen for the hydrogen drive motor. Disney promoted the people mover thing and in its 67 years the contry has done little to improve on that concept besides spending billions for buses and trains. the government has no basis in reality for big concepts. they have big problems just dealing in scrapping used windmill blades.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
You will need a gas powered motor to turn the generator for the electric motor. or you will need a gas powered motor to turn the generator to produce the electricity to crack the water to produce hydrogen for the hydrogen drive motor. Disney promoted the people mover thing and in its 67 years the contry has done little to improve on that concept besides spending billions for buses and trains. the government has no basis in reality for big concepts. they have big problems just dealing in scrapping used windmill blades.
Spot on! There is a quarry that I am aware of that has setup a business shredding the older wind turbine blades. Not sure where the final product ends up or if they just then take it to a land fill?

OP
OP
BRONCOchild2.0

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
OK, yeah that makes more sense to me.
The funny thing is that I made friends with another educator from the adjacent school and on occasions, he'll also park his new Chevy Silverado in our lot. Him and I just about have the same background and upbringing. We both agreed that we are skeptical about electric cars.

In addition, I just saw an online vlogger post and rant on renting a Tesla. She mentioned that her trip from Arizona to California on her rented Tesla was horrible. I believe that it took her 15hrs and close to $150 to charge the Tesla for a trip from like Phoenix to Los Angeles. Her big complaints was finding places that would charge her rented Tesla, plus she exposed the fees to charge as a scam. To charge quickly, which technically is approximately a 20-30min wait, is a higher fee than charging it at home. Also, if you don't have a Tesla approved charger at home, don't expect to get a full charge overnight when you plug it in.

Finally, my biggest dig is just the batteries. I few years ago, when Prius' were the rage, one colleague was having issues getting her Prius to start. She mentioned it was the battery. So, I gave her a quick jump and off she went to the dealership to take care of the issue. A couple of days later, and almost $2000 less, she had a new battery/batteries. People don't know the costs of fixing any mechanical issue that electric or hybrid cars have. That's just another big NO for me.