• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Would you buy an Electric Bronco?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
The funny thing is that I made friends with another educator from the adjacent school and on occasions, he'll also park his new Chevy Silverado in our lot. Him and I just about have the same background and upbringing. We both agreed that we are skeptical about electric cars.

In addition, I just saw an online vlogger post and rant on renting a Tesla. She mentioned that her trip from Arizona to California on her rented Tesla was horrible. I believe that it took her 15hrs and close to $150 to charge the Tesla for a trip from like Phoenix to Los Angeles. Her big complaints was finding places that would charge her rented Tesla, plus she exposed the fees to charge as a scam. To charge quickly, which technically is approximately a 20-30min wait, is a higher fee than charging it at home. Also, if you don't have a Tesla approved charger at home, don't expect to get a full charge overnight when you plug it in.

Finally, my biggest dig is just the batteries. I few years ago, when Prius' were the rage, one colleague was having issues getting her Prius to start. She mentioned it was the battery. So, I gave her a quick jump and off she went to the dealership to take care of the issue. A couple of days later, and almost $2000 less, she had a new battery/batteries. People don't know the costs of fixing any mechanical issue that electric or hybrid cars have. That's just another big NO for me.
Good points all!
Yes, very limited on repairs for the Tesla's anyway. I have been told that they regular dealer techs really don't want to be involved with working on the newer E cars due to hazardous with getting shocked, cost and need for more specialized tools etc. From a relative that drives a lower end Tesla, he had to drive 50 miles sometimes out of his way to get a charge and then get back on course driving from Columbia MO to FLA. I guess that's the price you pay for "cutting edge technology" in emerging transportation?
I was watching an old John Wayne movie last night called Big Jake, likely one of his last. Anyway, the movie showed cowboys and law enforcement starting to use model T's because they were faster than horses. But I was thinking, how did that really work out west when you can drive so far and then have to find a source of fuel? Or you break down? How did you go about getting it fixed when the auto technology was just starting to emerge?

OP
OP
BRONCOchild2.0

BRONCOchild2.0

Loc.
SoCal
Good points all!
Yes, very limited on repairs for the Tesla's anyway. I have been told that they regular dealer techs really don't want to be involved with working on the newer E cars due to hazardous with getting shocked, cost and need for more specialized tools etc. From a relative that drives a lower end Tesla, he had to drive 50 miles sometimes out of his way to get a charge and then get back on course driving from Columbia MO to FLA. I guess that's the price you pay for "cutting edge technology" in emerging transportation?
I was watching an old John Wayne movie last night called Big Jake, likely one of his last. Anyway, the movie showed cowboys and law enforcement starting to use model T's because they were faster than horses. But I was thinking, how did that really work out west when you can drive so far and then have to find a source of fuel? Or you break down? How did you go about getting it fixed when the auto technology was just starting to emerge?
I think you kind of answered your own question with the John Wayne film reference. Techonology will eventually catch up to the needs and demands of the EV world. Just like machinery and the need for fuel did back in the day.