• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Won't start for some reason

otisthelab

Loc.
Bainbridge Island
Went out to start the Bronco the other day, it turns over fine, just wouldn't start for some reason. Doesn't even begin to catch, just turns over. It's been running absolutely fine and I drove it in and parked it where it sits...no problem.

Tested around... fuel in carb and fuel in glass filter at carb...squirts when pumped. Tested spark plug to ground - no spark. Have now installed new spark plug wires, new coil, new ignition module. Still won't start. Could use some help here...probably something easy but I don't know what.

It's a '67 with a 1975 distributor. Electronic ignition.

Thanks for the help.

ransil

Bronco Guru
ohm out the pickup in the distributor. if that is good ohm out the wire back to the module.
Is the module getting 12v & ground??

rsharpnm

Loc.
Las Cruces
Also, inspect the underside of your cap for moisture/carbon tracking. Check out your rotor, too. Are you getting spark from the coil?

Like Ransil said, make sure you're still getting 12v to module and coil. The parts store can check your module (I know you already replaced it, but just to double-check).

Assuming all the parts you replaced are now 'good', and it ran when you parked it, check out anything that's changed since you parked it. Moisture? Cold? Small critter chew on a wire?

Good luck!

OP
OP
O

otisthelab

Loc.
Bainbridge Island
OK, will check the ohms later today.
I did pull the cap and rotor, cap, etc. looks good. They are only about 6 months old.
Also, before we tried to just get a spark from the coil to the fan cowling. No go. Also, no spark to plug grounded to frame.

richea33

I recently experienced the same issue and finally got it started. Had my son crank it over and slightly rotated the distributer to retard the timing. Fired right up.

OP
OP
O

otisthelab

Loc.
Bainbridge Island
Well, I checked as much as I am able it seems:

There is 12v to the Module and 12 v to the coil. I cleaned everything under the distributor cap, which was fairly clean anyway. No go.
I tried just a loose spark plug on one of the sp wires, grounded to the block...no spark still.

I don't really know how to check the ohm stuff. I have a multi-tester. I set it on the ohm setting and could get anything to read on any of the ohm settings.

Can anyone donate a min to explain to me in Simpleton terms how to check what is needed on the ohm end of things? Like where exactly the test points would be, setting on multtester, etc.

This is really getting frustrating...everything looks absolutely fine, just no spark.

Dave in Houston

Loc.
Baytown
Could be the magnetic pick up assembly inside the distributor. I've had them go before. Full diagnostics on the old Ford electronic ignition components is a pain.