• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bronco won’t start- need your help!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did you happen to notice what the reading was on the ammeter in the dash while it was running?
Perhaps your battery was low enough to require the alternator to run at a high output initially. Perhaps frying your new fusible link.
An alternative theory is that the alternator has actually gone bad, and is putting out too much power. That would explain the recent of the fusible link and perhaps the failure of the new one.
Check the new one.

Lawndart

Loc.
If it were me, I would see if the starter would turn over with the screwdriver on the solenoid trick. If so, then with the key turned to "RUN" and using the screwdriver trick to turn the starter. This would help in troubleshooting.

If this was simple points. Running a positive 12V jumper to the coil and using the screwdriver trick will get the engine started.

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
Did you happen to notice what the reading was on the ammeter in the dash while it was running?
Perhaps your battery was low enough to require the alternator to run at a high output initially. Perhaps frying your new fusible link.
An alternative theory is that the alternator has actually gone bad, and is putting out too much power. That would explain the recent of the fusible link and perhaps the failure of the new one.
Check the new one.
I checked the fusible link by putting the clamp of the light meter on the negative post of battery and probed the link at the splice of the new 10 gauge wire to the 2’wires, checked it at the splice of the 10’gauge to the fusible link and various points throughout band all lit up the tester….. am I doing it wrong?

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
I checked the fusible link by putting the clamp of the light meter on the negative post of battery and probed the link at the splice of the new 10 gauge wire to the 2’wires, checked it at the splice of the 10’gauge to the fusible link and various points throughout band all lit up the tester….. am I doing it wrong?
Also, with a bad alternator I should still be able to jump start the car or would at least get some noise if battery has all or some charge… correct?

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
OK kind gentlemen.....
  1. this a.m. checked the fusible link (all good)
  2. checked jump starting starter with screw driver (all good)
  3. checked grounds (all good)
  4. checked power from the black with yellow strip wire from alternator (all good)
  5. turned key....nothing, turned to accessory....nothing
  6. went back to smash it with a hammer regardless of the new paint job, turned key...started, ran for 10 seconds, died, turned key........nothing, contemplated getting a bigger hammer or perhaps a flame thrower.... turn key once more, started, ran until i almost died of carbon dioxide poisoning because I was too afraid to pull it out and it stop --getting it back in is a bitch!! Has anyone been killed by their bronco?! I had to turn it off seriously because i was dying- literally.
Im going to let it sit and see what the bronco has on its mind in 30 mins........ since I havent done anything new since yesterday, I am very hesitant to drive it.... what the hell it going on, do I have a Christine

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
What exactly did you smash with a hammer? Was it a wire harness connector? Chances are that's exactly where your bad splice/connection is that needs to be replaced. Or was that just you joking about an idle threat aimed at your Bronco for not cooperating?

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Ok, that's progress. Put down the hammer though.

When you get it started and it dies, LEAVE THE IGNITION ON and test. Check for power at coil and everywheee else.

Also, a test light tells you there is power, it does not tell you how much. Go get that multimeter, which also shows you resistance on your grounds.

You need to know exactly what gets how much power when it runs and where there power is when it doesn't. Test lights are made for other things, imho.

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
Well, Saturday, it ran like a champ, pulled it outside, let it run for 10 mins, checked battery with battery tester and the charging system--all good and looked at the Alt meter in the gauge cluster and it was on positive side at 30. pulled it in turned it off. Yesterday, go up, changed oil and was planning on taking it around neighborhood in case it acted up......wouldnt start....no sound, no click again.

• I pulled the neutral safety switch, cleaned it, re-installed and checked for power to the red/blue wire both before the connecter up i the engine bay and down at the transmission and both had power.... can the switch still be bad?

• Also, I checked for power at the ignition switch on the green/red wire and it had power with key to "accessory" but not in the "on" position---- would that indicate a bad ignition switch?

• I have removed the brown wire at solenoid and checked for power at the coil---checked ok

• Checked all other wires (positive & ground) and fusible link-- all ok

• jumped the starts--ok

• removed red/blue wire from solenoid and jumped from battery side to post--ok
I know I should go buy replacement parts when they might not be bad, but I feel like before I have it towed somewhere, I should consider replacing:
  • solenoid
  • starter
  • coil
  • maybe alternator
  • maybe starter
  • maybe battery (it is 6 years old but show "goo" on battery tester)

any other suggestions?

Oldtimer

Contributor
Jr. Member with Sr. moments
Loc.
Sunnyvale, CA
Well, Saturday, it ran like a champ, pulled it outside, let it run for 10 mins, checked battery with battery tester and the charging system--all good and looked at the Alt meter in the gauge cluster and it was on positive side at 30. pulled it in turned it off. Yesterday, go up, changed oil and was planning on taking it around neighborhood in case it acted up......wouldnt start....no sound, no click again.

Engine idiling and battery is pulling 30 amps from alternator.
Did you pick up a voltmeter? What is charging voltage at battery, when engine is running?
Battery may need a good charging. Overnight on a battery charger, not a trickle charger.

ba123

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
CA
Don't just go buying things. You need to find out what is bad and you can't do that with a test light.

Agree on the battery. Charge it. A bad battery can have those symptoms and a test light sure as shit won't tell you if your battery is bad. Putting it in a charger will help. You can bring it to the auto parts store and they can test it. 6 years if you have not maintained it properly can be a lot.

Like @Oldtimer saud, you need to know how many VOLTS your batt is and how many VOLTS your alt is putting out when the engine is running.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, Saturday, it ran like a champ, pulled it outside, let it run for 10 mins, checked battery with battery tester and the charging system--all good and looked at the Alt meter in the gauge cluster and it was on positive side at 30.
As mentioned, this is not necessarily a good thing. Definitely measure your volts at the battery with the engine running.
If the 30a reading was right after starting, that's normal. But if it had been idling and warming up for a time, it should have gone down to almost zero by then. If not, your battery may be suspect after all, or your alternator is possibly over-charging.
Without reading back, is this a 1-wire alternator install, or is it a standard alternator with external voltage regulator? We were talking about a 1-wire the other day, but I don't remember if it was yours, or if it was another thread I'm thinking of.

• I pulled the neutral safety switch, cleaned it, re-installed and checked for power to the red/blue wire both before the connecter up i the engine bay and down at the transmission and both had power.... can the switch still be bad?
If power is coming in on one wire, and going out on the other, then the NSS is still at least partially good and not causing your no-start issue.
But if you measure on the body-side of that 4-wire connector up in back of the engine, there should be power only on one of the Red w/blue wires. Not both...
Only on the NSS side of things would you see power on both. But how are you able to test this? The connector partially separated? Or probing with the test light down at the switch itself?
  • Also, I checked for power at the ignition switch on the green/red wire and it had power with key to "accessory" but not in the "on" position---- would that indicate a bad ignition switch?
Yes, if nothing else was checking normally.
The issue is that, the Green w/red wire AND the Red w/green wire share the same terminal on the back of the ignition switch. So if one is getting power, and one is not, then the switch is fine and the actual connection and/or wire is bad. As you suspect, power should be found with the switch in both the ACC and the ON positions.
  • I have removed the brown wire at solenoid and checked for power at the coil---checked ok
Let's dispense with the "checked ok" comments and give some actual numbers. For this you're going to need the volt-meter/multi-meter rather than the test light from now on. We've seen many cases over the years when "fine" and "ok" were completely incorrect because the precise details were not available, or the member was going by visual inspection only. I know that's not the case here, as you are testing things. But if you have a modern LED test lamp, can you even tell the difference between 12v and 3v with it? I don't know, since I've only had old-school lamps where you could see if it was dim or bright. Still didn't give you exact numbers, but was a halfway decent indicator.

For your "checked ok" this time though, that means that your ignition switch is working. Did you happen to check for power on the Brown wire itself?
If you have power at the coil, you should see the same power at the Brown wire.
  • Checked all other wires (positive & ground) and fusible link-- all ok
Pretty sure that the fusible link wire is working (at least when your starter cranks) but can't confirm it's working perfectly.
The fact that you have power to the ignition switch and coil and NSS on the transmission, means that you have power and that the ignition switch is at least partially working.
  • jumped the starts--ok
This means you jumped straight to the starter from the battery? And it cranked fine?
  • removed red/blue wire from solenoid and jumped from battery side to post--ok
Means that when you jumped the small terminal that the starter cranked normally?
While you were at it, did you check for power at the Red w/blue wire when you have the key in START?
I know I should go buy replacement parts when they might not be bad...
Did you mean "should not" or that you should?
...but I feel like before I have it towed somewhere, I should consider replacing:
  • solenoid
NO! Not if jumping the S terminal made the starter spin.
NO! Not if you were able to get the starter crank and turn the engine over
NO! The coil could be bad, but it has ABSOLUTELY ZERO to do with the starter not cranking. ZERO!
  • maybe alternator
NO! Here again, the alternator has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the starter not cranking.
Ok, so maybe you need a new one, or maybe you need a new regulator. But it's easy to test without replacing.
But if your ammeter read 30 amps charge, then you know that the alternator is at least capable of 30amps output. More than enough to charge a battery for now.
  • maybe starter
  • maybe battery (it is 6 years old but show "goo" on battery tester)
Again, not the starter.
But the battery? Hmm, maybe. But if when the starter is turning the engine over, it's cranking with normal vigor, then the battery is very low on the suspect list.
But as the others have said, go ahead and charge it fully just in case.
And while you're at it, get a full multi-meter so you can check things more thoroughly.

Paul

4xfun

Let me through a vote against towing it to a shop unless you have absolute confidence in the mechanic. This is a 50+ year old vehicle that has been modified. There are not may 30 year mechanics who have experience with these vehicles and they are used to the computer telling them which part to replace. It really does sound like a wire, connection or possibly the ignition switch at this point, Before you replace a part, test the piece using the factory process in the manual with the multimeter. Only replace a part that has failed and test the new part before you reinstall it.

It has not been mentioned, but remove the power connection to the Amp. Take that system out of the equation. I assume the power switch is coming from the radio and the power supply has a fuse in it.

One of the problems that you may be facing is that a connection terminal is failing. When the truck is not running, the wires may touch, but corrosion or wire breaks prevent current from flowing through the connection due to vibration related to the truck moving. This issue can sometimes show up with resistance testing. You do need to perform a resistance test on your ground wire between the engine and battery. There is also a tool that will allow you to trace a wire to find the location of a wire break.

There are circuit breakers that act like a fuse, but will reset after they cool down. I don't remember seeing anything about them in your model, but they could have been added by a previous owner.

Read this post for a good primer on electrical issue tracking:

Electrical issues can be difficult to find. I have had two that drove me crazy for years. My wife's car was running terrible and I could not find any issue with the ignition coils or plugs. It ultimately turned out to be the tip of a screw was sticking out of the firewall and it had pierced the wiring harness. It was a bod design and came with a cap to protect the screw. My guess is that the PO's mechanic did not worry about replacing it. The other issue I had was a poor connection to the engine block. When my mechanic rebuilt my engine, his helper broke a connection, connected it to the wrong location, replaced it with the wrong type of connector and used a cheap crimp without sealing it or using dielectric grease. After several years, by speedometer would bounce and would not reed the correct speed, my engine temperature was always low, and my truck ran rich. The wires were used as by the computer. I found the issue when replacing the thermosat. replaced the thermosttat and fixed the connecdtion which fixed everything.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
White Knght must be a little busy. Haven’t seen them here since we were passing PMs back-and-forth a few days ago.
Turns out they have a 3G alternator running the stock battery/ammeter charge loop.
I haven’t seen a pic of the front, so I don’t know if it’s a 95 amp or a 130 amp model. And I don’t know if there’s a way to tell from any of the markings on the backside. But either way…
Maybe when I get back to the computer I’ll post up some of the pictures here and someone else can tell.

But my guess is, at the very least, there’s a lot of load on that original Black w/yellow wire. And fusible link.

OP
OP
White Knight

White Knight

Contributor
Sorry for delay…. I moved here to take care of my parents and it has taken priority over the bronco for last week or so. I will get back to it soon. Sincerely appreciate all the feedback and time everyone has spent helping me…..