• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Will sliding rag top work

Bucky66

I am thinking about buying one of those sliding ragtop moonroofs from a guy but don't know if it would work. It is 35x39L. The problem would be the front bow support. That is my thinking anyway. I do know that once u cut he hole for the roof, the frame for the ragtop will provide some structure support. My concern is, will it be enough support that it will not make the area to week and have it now inward since the now support will be gone.

Thanks for any thoughts

Broncobowsher

Total hack
trucks with a sharp transition of the windshield to the roof typically have a severe low pressure area just in front of the driver's head. I have know of some of these fabric soft tops that would lift severely at highway speeds. The Bronco has aerodynamic challenges. Ever seen how much a Bikini top lifts at highway speeds?

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
That sounds like a cool idea.I would think you would need to build a tube frame around the opening that you could tie the bows to and spot weld to the roof.Without the roof bows the top is as limp as a sheet of paper.

ren71

it's been done and it looks awesome

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1812393&postcount=24

attachment.php

OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

That does look great. My thought was to cut the bow and fasten it to the frame of the rag top to provide extra support. Anyone know how that guy did his

OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

Yeah I got to do it. Would much rather that and doors off than going back and forth with a hard top and soft top

66broncofan

Contributor
Perfect - Finally an option for me that I like. I love the idea of a soft top with two tone paint scheme and no soft tops that come close to coordinating this would be the way to go. I'm in on a mass buy it there is one.

OP
OP
Bucky66

Bucky66

I got on the phone today and spoke to a fella at the sliding ragtops place. I told asked him a little about an EB application. He said they have done quite a few of the broncos and they have worked out. I didn't go into a lot of detail with him about install and stuff due to having read about it in the web site and watching video on line. I inquired about a mass buy discount. He told me they like to support the hobbyist and could do something for us as far as some sort of discount. They make everything of site so they are able to keep cost down a bit anyway but would be able to maybe work with us a bit more. If there is enough interest I could email him and he could see about putting together prices for some sizes we would like. Of course it all depends on how many of us really want one. Anyone game?