• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where is the VIN on a 67?

omureebe

I bought a 67 Bronco and have to go through a VIN veification. Problem is..... I can't find the VIN. I've looked in the glove box, on the passenger frame rail, and passenger kick panel area. I don't see anything.. Can anyone tell me exactly where they are, and possibly a photo?
Thanks,
OMureebe

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

Just checked the frame, and nothing is there. I looked at the kick panel area but I see repair work was done there. I'm not sure where on the kick panel it would be...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

hsach

Contributor
Members Only

Just checked the frame, and nothing is there. I looked at the kick panel area but I see repair work was done there. I'm not sure where on the kick panel it would be...

Thanks for the help!

It is very visible on the driver's kick panel, you can't miss it. If you don't see it, then I would assume it was removed during the prior repair work. I haven't looked for my frame vin, but I have to tighten up my new body mounts tonight and will try to locate it on my '67.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
Driver's side near the door strap if my memory serves me 3” from the edge and 7” off the floor.

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
My kick panel tag was where mudstud said and the one on the frame was nearly invisible, I think they used a scribe to scratch the vin on it, it was so light%) If it ever gets checked 'officially' they'll probably squak since I re-stamped it heavier before getting it powdercoated, now you really can't see it;D

Jim W.

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

Thanks guys. Well the VIN tag is definitely gone, and I used light and a mirror to check the frame rail. I dont see a hint of anything, and kind of agree the DMV may, well, act like the DMV. Now I have to figure out what to do!
Thanks,
OMureebe

jim3326

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Appleturkey
If you have a scuff pad that will take a lot of the grime off the frame and highlight the vin some what. Other places to look on the frame are by the body mount to the rear (not the very back tho) and by the forward body mount where the frame starts to go up.

Jim W.

DonH

Loc.
WA State 30 miles from the beach
It is on top of the frame on passanger side near the starter dirrectly under the firewall. You will have to get some rough sandpaper and sand away forty years of grime to see it but it is there. Sand until you see bright metal then you will see the vin.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
It is on top of the frame on passanger side near the starter dirrectly under the firewall. You will have to get some rough sandpaper and sand away forty years of grime to see it but it is there. Sand until you see bright metal then you will see the vin.

x2 a wire brush or a wire wheel attachment to a cordless drill works wonders. once you get the area cleaned try wetting the top of the frame rail where it's located. it's there.

OP
OP
omureebe

omureebe

So I added a VIN plate from Marti, but the DMV wouldn't accept it. That leaves the frame numbers to find. I wire brushed the passenger rail directly under the firewall, adjacent to the starter, and found nothing. There is an aftermarket hoop (for dual shocks) that attached to the frame around there. Could that be in the way?

The frame is clean and painted, so no grime to get in anywhere. I did use a mirror down the frame rails and didn't see anything obvious. Only thing I saw was what looks to be a part number on the underside of each frame rail.

Any other ideas???

Thanks.... Boy this is frustrating....
Omar

Desert Thrasher

Bronco Guru
You are probably going to have to remove the paint and get to the bare metal to find the vins. Sucks but needs to be done.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I've got a '67 body on my '71 frame. The '71 frame VIN is indeed stamped passenger side below the heater core nipples.

The '71 body had been painted about 7 times before I rebuilt it and the ID tags had either been removed or painted over way before my time. I have had nothing but hassles getting it legal in 2 different states.