• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tuffy glove box... Where did you put your VIN tag?

BroncoBrandon

I have been thinking about getting the tuffy glove box as well as a few other products.

I have a bit of a dilemma though.... Do I move the VIN tag from the glove box door to the tuffy box door?

If not,Where do I put it?

Does the Tuffy box even have a place to put the VIN tag?

Should I even worry about the VIN tag being on the Bronco? The only time its ever been looked at is when I take it through emissions.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-162-early-bronco-security-glove-box.aspx

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
no dont remove the vin plate from the glove box door !!!
put the door w. the title somewhere safe and when you sale the EB you hand it to the new owner !!

does your EB have the vin sticker on the driver side strike post ??

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJHJCwE7BcvhB1HBO6oGky2zw~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJCwE7BcvhB1HBO6oGky2zw~~60_3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

No. The only place that the VIN is on my Bronco is on the Glove box. I'm not sure where else it might be if there is another on my Bronco.

Would be nice if there was a sticker on the pillar though

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
As Franko said do not remove the VIN plate from the glovebox door.

It is a felony to reattach it to anything else, even the same glovebox door.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

As Franko said do not remove the VIN plate from the glovebox door.

It is a felony to reattach it to anything else, even the same glovebox door.

But don't I have to have it on the vehicle?

I want to stay legally compliant but keep my stuff safe. I already have the Tuffy center console but more lockable storage would be nice for small things like phones and cameras

BroncKrawler

Loc.
Harrisburg, Oregon
I wouldn't worry about it Brandon, I have a Tuffy box and just keep my original glove box door in my garage. My '68 has a buck tag sandwiched between the dash pad and the windshield frame that has my VIN # on it, check to see if you have a buck tag there.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I just carry my glovebox door with me when I get inspected....Thinking about incorporating it into a storage area under the passengers seat

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
You can carry it with you or make anyone that really wants to see it do a frame inspection. I handed mine to the guy at the DMV when it was inspected.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I JB welded my vin tag to the inside of the Tuffy glovebox door. Maybe not the best idea, but I certainly won't lose it.

rustbucket

Bronco Guru
As long as it can be cross-referenced with the frame, I don't see a big deal. I would just use some mounting tape and stick it to the inside of the Tuffy door.

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
Never really seen this as an issue. What states require the inspection? Is it because of the age or smog reasons? In Ca, any older car that does not need to be smogged is forgotten about. If they can't make money off of it other than registration, they don't bother.

I removed my VIN tag from the glove box after my P.C. failed to do so during the process. Blew up the VIN tag like a bubble. Hnags in my garage now.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Your VIN number is on your frame! In AZ 'if' you get inspected they will look on your frame not the glove box door. The door is removable and is therefore not considered to be valid in most states for a VIN inspection. As said removing the tag from the glove box door is technically'altering' the VIN tag and it is a felony if anyone wants to persue it. Keep your door and title together somewhere safe and move on....

broncomatt

Well since were on this topic I will ask, if your frame has been replaced with one that doesn't have a vin number on it (say a matkins, or an blasted oe) what do these strict states do?
I was an inspector in Mass. and had to look for such frame vins. Often they had rusted off and was told not to worry about it. After living in NC I know they will also look for it, but if they cant find it they will still register your truck but not issue you a title for resale. No problem since I wont ever part with mine.
Here in FL. the dmv girl didn't even know where the vin tag was, kept insisting it should be on the windshield. As it happens I have it riveted to the tub below the seat. That will be changing when I put a glove box back into my rig.
Which brings me to my second question, If I wanted the correct style rivets to attach the tag correctly does anybody know of a good place to get them?

broncomatt

Part of the reason I ask is we may end up in the AZ or NM area one day and want to know in advance what to expect.
Since every body part on my rig is from some other rig there are no stickers on doors or door jams. Just a vin tag that I can put back onto the glove box door. The reason I know my replacement frame has no number on it is that it was stripped off after blasting and grinding down.

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
I live in Arizona and the emissions guys usually complement me on mounting it on the center dash because they can see it better, No one has ever gave me a hard time about it.

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
Well, I JUST got through with a visit to CA (AAA) DMV yesterday; same lady that did my '67 Corvette Coupe six months ago came out and did my Bronco. She stated that she needed to see the VIN in TWO places; luckily I had the foresight to locate my frame VIN ("under" the passenger seat, 1" BL) ahead of time, take a mirror/flashlight/piece of cardboard - we crawled under together and I held the mirror while she read the VIN. Now, I DID have two "issues" that I hope don't come back to bite me in the ass when the title goes into DMV Sacramento - #1). The glovebox VIN was moved to the driver side A-Pillar and screwed into place; luckily, she listed it as "riveted". #2). She had a REAL problem with the replaced speedometer; finally listed "No Mileage" on the title application...

Fingers crossed!?:?

broncomatt

So here is a thought, I found character stamps at norhterntool. I could stamp the vin into the frame in the correct location now, before I bolt down the body. But would that look good enough for the dmv??

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
So here is a thought, I found character stamps at norhterntool. I could stamp the vin into the frame in the correct location now, before I bolt down the body. But would that look good enough for the dmv??

I believe martiauto has the original type rivets for the vin plate

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2