• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

tuffy glove box... Where did you put your VIN tag?

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Seriously people. Do not move or modify the Vin Plate. Do not re-stamp your frame.
This is modification of the VIN Plate / VIN Number, even if you do it with good intent.
We get contracted to validate VIN and Trim tags by various companies and individuals, I'm not screwing around here. We have invalidated millions of dollars in vehicle sales (and validated much more), been expert witnesses, and recovered/itdentified several stolen vehicles with bad VIN tags.

You may never have a problem if you do, but if you do, you can go to jail.
You are far less likely to ever have an issue with the items you have in hand unless they are BOTH completely destroyed along with any titles and bills of ale, even then there are (painful) legal remedies. Your best bet is to document everything you have.

Talk to your state DOT to find out what you can do to document it in its current condition, obtain a state issued VIN plate (it won't be or look original, but it will be legal), etc.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
I drilled out the rivits and used some silicone sealant to attach it to the Tuffy door. Figured I could scrape it back off if needed. Never heard it was a felony to remove or replace the vin tag, but going to jail over a vin tag is not going to keep me up tonight. Here I thought I was doing the right thing by making sure my vin tag was in the right place. Oh well.

broncokak

Bronco Guru
My rig has this vin tag spot welded to the cowel. It matched the glove box vin and looks factory so that's what i use.

Attachments

• tag 2.jpg
    tag 2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 372
  • tag front.jpg
    tag front.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
B

BroncoBrandon

Thank you for all the responses. I think I'll just leave the VIN tag on the door and place it in my garage when it's time to get the tuffy box.

I've never been pulled over and besides the emissions testing, no one has ever asked to look at it.

Mazeing

Part of the reason I ask is we may end up in the AZ or NM area one day and want to know in advance what to expect.

I just moved to Arizona from California and my glove compartment door is somewhere in a storage unit in a box. I had to go to the main MVD office in Tucson for them to give me a new VIN. They were able to cross reference the VIN on my California title to the California registration but they still gave me a new VIN on a tamper-proof sticker that they put on the driver's side kickplate for $25 cash.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I just moved to Arizona from California and my glove compartment door is somewhere in a storage unit in a box. I had to go to the main MVD office in Tucson for them to give me a new VIN. They were able to cross reference the VIN on my California title to the California registration but they still gave me a new VIN on a tamper-proof sticker that they put on the driver's side kickplate for $25 cash.

now that suckx ... you got a new number w. no meaning to it !!
glade its your EB and not mine .... I think i would freak out !!

67RT

Bronco Guru

I just got the same in MD, a frame VIN state. I got the Marti tag and sticker but they would not use it. MD has metal state issued VIN plates and I had to go through hell to get it done (circuit court order, etc.) Just don't want to answer questions if I ever sell. Glove door did not match the frame, so I wanted it fixed.

Removing a VIN for any reason could be construed as an attempt to hide something. Don't do it.. If you ever add a frame to your rig have the VIN checked as if it comes back hot or suspect, your truck may get seized..

Mazeing

I still have the original VIN on the glove box door but it's buried in a storage unit and I wasn't willing to try to dig it out.

wepuckett

That is exactly why for my daily driver build that will take me another 3 years lol to get looking resonable again I am looking for another frame in good shape with vin that matches title and glove box door. So I can just use it with the body that is sitting on the rotisserie waitting for me to get back to it after I get the 68 I just got back on the road after 15 plus years hopping to have it ready for Super Celebration.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
I still have the original VIN on the glove box door but it's buried in a storage unit and I wasn't willing to try to dig it out.

and bc of it you have a new vin and title that makes everyone think your EB is Salvage !

GL ... if and when you going to sale it !

67RT

Bronco Guru
and bc of it you have a new vin and title that makes everyone think your EB is Salvage !

The title is what signifies the salvage designation.
Everyone with a bronco knows the shenanigans some owners have done, some legit and some not so much. Look at all of the titles and glovebox doors for sale. Go to a Mopar site and try to sell a dash with a VIN and a title and someone will call the cops...
To add, I would definitely pass on a car that didn't have factory rivets or one that had a tag in the incorrect location.

BRONCOBERT

This is one good reason not to use the Tuffy door.
Icon uses a new frame and new glove box door which they reattach the original Ford vin to, funny they don't get into trouble?
Unique Performance got into lot of hot water over swapping VIN's on the Super Snake and Elanor reproductions.

Mazeing

Never gonna happen. Though I wasn't married in the truck, it was what we used to drive from the ceremony to the reception. It's in my will to my son, so he'll have to deal with it if it comes to that ;)

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I have said this before but the glovebox tag is a WARRANTY tag and not an official vin tag. Therefore it is not illegal to remove and reinstall this tag. It is only illegal to change the engraved frame vin. If you lookin under the serial number on this tag it says warranty number. Many states the will not honor this tag for vehicle identification. They will want to see frame vin

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Many states the will not honor this tag for vehicle identification. They will want to see frame vin

True, but some states also want to see the VIN in several locations.