• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Where to relocate VIN ID Tag?

707Bronk

I replaced the stock glove box a while ago and want to relocate the VIN ID tag that was on the back of the glove box door.

Is there a recommended place to reinstall it?
Looking for recommendations or requirements of where to put it.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I would get something in writing from your DMV. They get upset about moving VINs around.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
that plate is not a vin tag. that tag is a warranty plate. It can be put anywhere. the vin for your truck is stamped on the passenger side frame on the top just behind the shock mount. there is also another one stamped on top of the drivers side top of frame towards the rear body mount. that warranty plate is used by some dmv and polioce department for serial number verification because it is easier for them to just look at the tag on the glove box than it is to crawl around under the vehicle.

OP
OP
707Bronk

707Bronk

I will certainly have to check the frame just to confirm #s, then possibly put a call into DMV.

DMV in CA is a nightmare, wouldn't be surprised if they told me I had to crush the decrepid old negligent polluter. Lol. Really not looking forward to pinging myself on thier radar.

Thanks for the info.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
why not just re revit it back on the new glove door or did you delete the glove box completly? My bronco actually had a vin tag up under the windshield also, like new cars, but i never hear guys talking about that tag. The stamped numbers on the frame are really hard to see until i sandblasted my frame then i found them.

OP
OP
707Bronk

707Bronk

I installed a tuffy glove box. I wanted a secure place to leave things since some people think whatever is in my truck is somehow theirs.

If DMV says I can mount it anywhere, would it be better to mount it in a visible place, or someplace that only I can find?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
What Crush said. You don't need it. Just confirm the one on the frame and no need to bring it up to DMV.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Today I tried to put two out-of-state title in my name. I went to two different DMVs and both wanted to put eyes on the VIN on the frame. My 77 frame worked out and title is in the mail.

Here is where it gets tricky. I asked about another frame, tub and title I bought over a year ago and asked if the matching glovebox door alone will work and they said "no". I went home to remove layers of paint from the frame and come to find out it does not match the title!!! Instead of a U15 it was a U14! Either the PO was unaware or lied to me bc I asked if the frame and glovebox door match. Oh well, gotta move on.