• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Value, Steel vs fiberglass

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
If you watch any automotive auctions with all else equal, you will see a steel body vehicle brings more than a fiberglass body. Investment wise, go steel. Practicality, fiberglass.

Tedster100

Chairman of the Bored
Personally, I think it's a matter of preference and how you plan on using. If you are building a mainly hard core trail rig steel is the way to go because it's easier to buy patch panels and weld them back in. If you want something to drive and hold up long term without re-addressing problem rust areas then fiberglass is the way to go.

I built mine in all glass because I want to build it, paint it and not be dealing with rust over and over. The glass is a lot more work with fitment and the thickness makes a lot of bolt up stuff difficult to mount, mine was a PITA since the body, grill, doors, hood and gate were all from different manufacturers. That being said, the hard work and hours put into fitment and finish pay off and I believe my glass body is pretty close looking to steel except for the molded in flares and hood scoop.

As far as value, if you are building a concour vehicle and don't plan on using it between now and the time you plan on selling it then build steel, that's where it will matter. Oh, and make sure everything is period correct and pristine, resto-mods don't bring the same money and on the vehicles being sold as resto-mods the glass really dosen't seem to matter. You see a lot of fiberglass body hot rods, resto-mods and kit reproductions go through the auctions and bring decent money but not what a all original steel period correct would. If you plan on using, driving and putting some miles on it I would think that a glass body and paint would be in better shape and bring more value if sold in say 10 years to the average buyer especially in areas where it snows. Just my $.02:)

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys! Pretty much what I thought. I originally chose fiberglass due to the fact that this is our 2nd car, parked at the lake. It will get limited use over salted roads in the winter, and I need to build this to be as maintenence free as possible. I love owning too many cars, but do not want one of them owning me. No matter how bad I want a metal tub, the reality is after 5 years of a solid restoration, it will need to be touched up regularly, and any small issue would need attention right away. The fiberglass can stand longer without being fixed, and anything major can be quickly patched, even if temporary. Here's to a little more work now, vs a lot more later~ cheers, and thank you all!

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Fiberglass seem to bring half of what a good steel one will get. There are exceptions but it the best guess from what I have seen.

hyghlndr, are you going to get back to me on the tank skid? I've sent many PM's......crickets ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
hyghlndr, are you going to get back to me on the tank skid? I've sent many PM's......crickets ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Sorry, I dropped the ball...finally found a flat panel tv box to fit it, its heavy..if you saw my garage you would understand a little. PM your zip code and I can get shipping amount tonight.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
he he he you got alota work ahead ...been there done that!