• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Value, Steel vs fiberglass

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
66 half cab 6 cyl modified with 5.0 EFI and 77 trans & axles with power steering & brakes. What is the rough difference in value of a rust free solid steel vs fiberglass tub on a rig like this? I know the steel will require more work to maintain, but I'm looking at actual dollar value here

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
That is a good question, obviously to someone who is into the stocker type builds it would be a problem. To folks who want a driver in the rust belt, then fiberglass with full cage is a decent way to go and shouldn't effect price. Anyone into heavy modifications, I wouldn't see Fiberglass as being an issue. I considered it.

Actually, I'm considering a follow up build to my current one, and it will be fiberglass.

That's my opinion, but I have no raw data to back this up.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
plan on selling or keeping? i'll never sell mine so i would go with what i want. Mine will glass when funds allow....

4lofun

Brian,, you can have both;) fiberglass year round,and a 66U13 stocker.. you know where that other 66' is at.;D

In our area, i would say that the fiberglass is going to be worth more in the years to come. especially the broncodesign tub....there is more usable value in the fiberglass around here but a steel in great condition has a high value as original as well.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Ive owned both. Loved my fiberglass build (mallot tub I believe) but hated the fitment issues with the doors and the windshield and the top.

Loved my steel tub but hated the constant worry of rust.

I'd like to withhold final judgetment until I got a good look at the Bronco Design tub - those look like they are amazing.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
They really are that nice Tom...

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
It's a tough call for me as I have a very early 66, and the only 66 item left is a modified frame, and a title with 38K miles. I'm now faced with the same issues a 64.5 Mustang owner would be faced with wanting a tracker , or restomod. I'm 100% split down the middle on this, but it sounds like Fiber will net me better value while owning it. With that said, I could end up with a refurb tub in the 3-4K range....... still stewing.....

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Brian,
IMO I think the metal tub would sell better/quicker. I don't think you could get away with selling the glass for a substantial more amount except maybe to a specific crowd.

Consider the glass cost as well as the work to fit. Many/most of them are not predrilled or hardware fitted. I looked into them abit and figured to me might be better fixing my rust than to reoutfit and reassemble everything to the glass tub.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
My plan was Mike's (bronco design) tub until my frame came with a half decent tub. But I am building a driver. Since you are swapping running gear and have already modified the frame for a injected 5.0, I would probably just go glass. Really all you have is a frame with 38K on it. If you had kept it original, drive train and power plant, that would be a different story. Thats my $.02 for all it's worth.

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Randy, that's the tub I'm going with....

Dave, it would be good to know how much of the slow fiber sales are due to poor craftsmanship vs not being metal. I'm guessing that's a big factor, as a large percentage of fiber cars........Jeeps, bronco's kits etc.... have very poor craftsmanship. That said, I'm reminded how subjective this question is....

OP
OP
B

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
My plan was Mike's (bronco design) tub until my frame came with a half decent tub. But I am building a driver. Since you are swapping running gear and have already modified the frame for a injected 5.0, I would probably just go glass. Really all you have is a frame with 38K on it. If you had kept it original, drive train and power plant, that would be a different story. Thats my $.02 for all it's worth.

OOPSIE! I need those axles back!!!!

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
I have never heard of a solid, rust free, steel bronco tub!!!

I would say the value is the same as long as the glass tub is all fitted correctly and looks good. Glass tubs can be a pain and thats the reason the fit and finish is sometimes lesser than a steel tub.

I have a glass tub and when im done id say most of you guys would never know its glass until i kick the tub or fender and it dont leave a dent!

But then again its what you want. Some would say that now my bronco is more of a kit car because of the glass. Original is worth more, but will cost you more in keeping the rust hidden (notice i say hidden and not magically taken care of).

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Fiberglass seem to bring half of what a good steel one will get. There are exceptions but it the best guess from what I have seen.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
glass does not explode....it has give. it may crack but it it incredibly tough

red hot71

Loc.
kent wash.
You know living on the west coast all my life and it still boggles my mind to think how cars in the rust belt dissolve.

I think were I live fiberglass would not be seen as #1 quality,as said before "Kit Car". But I see your point, if rust problems were my way of life then I think moving beyond it with fiberglass would make cents and valve.

bec

Loc.
Mount Pleasant
i would have to go with bullitt94 and from what i have seen the glass go for half what the steel ones go for i dont know why but i almost got one last summer from col.and it was decked out and he only was asking $5500 for it and he had probloms getting that...but what do i know lol