• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Torque Boxes

Adam7118

I’m thinking ahead about my coyote swap build in my 67 and I'm wondering if anyone has welded torque boxes to the frame for support. Im concerned about the frame being able to support that much power once it's all said and done.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Torque box? Frame stiffener you mean? Where and why- no reason to do this especially with a Coyote.

No reason to at all. Bronco frames are boxed and very stout.

Also, people think Coyotes are the most powerful engine on earth- they aren't. There's guys who have big block FE's, 460's, 351C's... all these make more HP/torque than a Coyote and nobody's had any frame issues.

Want to twist something up? Put a gear doubler behind the trans, put low gears in the tcase, put high numerical number gears in the frt/rear diff's, put 100% lockable diff's frt/rear, put 40" tires on. ALL these things multiply torque & transfer torque to the grouond many times over what the original Bronco could ever dream of putting to the ground. Street driven Coyote motor powered EB will never see anything within 20% of the torque generated and transferred to the rocks like a rock crawler EB equipped with the mod's described above.

Short version? No, you don't need it. :)

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Torque box? Frame stiffener you mean? Where and why- no reason to do this especially with a Coyote.

No reason to at all. Bronco frames are boxed and very stout.

Also, people think Coyotes are the most powerful engine on earth- they aren't. There's guys who have big block FE's, 460's, 351C's... all these make more HP/torque than a Coyote and nobody's had any frame issues.

Want to twist something up? Put a gear doubler behind the trans, put low gears in the tcase, put high numerical number gears in the frt/rear diff's, put 100% lockable diff's frt/rear, put 40" tires on. ALL these things multiply torque & transfer torque to the grouond many times over what the original Bronco could ever dream of putting to the ground. Street driven Coyote motor powered EB will never see anything within 20% of the torque generated and transferred to the rocks like a rock crawler EB equipped with the mod's described above.

Short version? No, you don't need it. :)
What he said in both the long and short versions lol

I get a kick out of listening to drag racers talk about torque and shock loads. Then show them the stuff we break and they are speechless. Heck top fuel dragsters use 4 worm gear hose clamps to hold the engine in lol

Adam7118 please don’t be offended, some of us have been around a long time and sometimes are a bit cynical and are quick to poke at ideas that you may feel are legitimate so I wall also apologize. We will gladly help you in anyway we can to build the truck you want.

Last edited:

nvrstuk

Contributor
What Steve said. Not here to offend but my HR buddies run 28 spline axles and light up little 28" tires every weekend with big blocks and never grenade a thing.

Many of us who wheel have been known to twist all kinds of "unbreakable" things off when idling, yes idling up rocks due to torque loads.

Yes, we are more than welcome to help with any Q's you might have on your build. Didn't want to offend.

Quick & Dirty

Torque box is a unibody thing. Gusseting the connection between the suspension subframes and the rocker panels.
A full roll cage can stiffen a ladder frame if it's well connected to it.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
IMG_8576 (2022_04_15 02_30_09 UTC).jpg
I’m thinking ahead about my coyote swap build in my 67 and I'm wondering if anyone has welded torque boxes to the frame for support. Im concerned about the frame being able to support that much power once it's all said and done.

Adam, I would not worry about the torque from a stock coyote unless you are running a D20 transfer case with the stock rear output. Disclaimer: this frame is reinforced at the link mounts and a couple places up front to counter the affects of the frond end landing hard.

OP
OP
Adam7118

Adam7118

Wow thanks guys great info! Puts my mind at ease. Sounds like I should be safe without reinforcing. In the same vein, when you guys coated your frames, what did you do to coat the inside of the frame?

nvrstuk

Contributor
I didn't but I have read threads where guys put a couple small paint gun tips or weed sprayer tips on a small homemade roller so the tips aren't dragging on the bottom and they just pull it through with a string.
You can try a search here on CB.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
One area that we do commonly reinforce is the area of the frame around the steering gearbox.
Here though, it’s nothing to do with engine torque/power, but more about the size of the tires, offset of the wheels and aggressiveness of use.
The frame can crack when used hard trying to turn overly large tires.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Jon hit on something important.
D20 output shafts are notoriously weak. Check out WH upgrade.

Axle wrap which rotates the pinion upwards when accelerating breaks 3rd member yokes, ujoints and driveline.
Do something to help restrict axle wrap.
Check out Tom's or WH's for what they sell.

Look at a YouTube video on a Bronco to shock yourself for the amount of rotation it gets!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I welded a rod to the end of a ball hone and ran that through the frame a few times, then blew it out and dragged a rag though it with cleaner on it. I took an undercoating gun I had and threaded a 6 foot piece of copper line so it would adapt to the gun and the tip would thread on. I would run the rod in the frame at some of the oblong holes and coated the inside with POR.

Attachments

• ball hone.png
    ball hone.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    142.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
Adam7118

Adam7118

Great info. I like the idea of the copper line. Definitely going to try it. Thank you

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Bro. Haaaa haaaaa
that is very cool

Attachments

• D657AB10-75F5-4D91-99D5-DBF80E0164DA.jpeg
    D657AB10-75F5-4D91-99D5-DBF80E0164DA.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 15

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The other option for coating the frame is to dip it. AFTER all of the mods were made to it, this frame was hot dip galvanized:
i-zrvh272.jpg

It does make future mods a bit more difficult, but I've developed strategies to deal with it. Most of my mods are designed to bolt on. Where I've needed to cut I use Regalv to coat the cuts.

nvrstuk

Contributor
I remember when Quinn did that & I told him I could never do it because I am always tweaking or doing major mods‐ never done! :)

Fantastic permanent fix for rust tho!!

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I understand his foray into LR Defenders is what brought up the idea. Apparently nearly all LR resto's do this because their frames are famous for rusting. Or something like that I don't know and don't want to.

Which reminds me, did you know that 90% of all Land Rovers ever made are still on the road?

Yeah, the other 10% made it home.
:)

nvrstuk

Contributor
hahaha.... I believe that. I saw one in Belieze that looked like a cheese grater. I mean, literally. :)