• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

97' explorer header torque specs?

LoneRanger

Contributor
Loc.
Gunshine State
I'm seeing torque specs across the board.

18ft pounds to 42 ft pounds.

I've got them to 18 currently and my gut tells me that is WAY TOO LOOSE.

Did some digging on a few explorer forums and found several locations that say 30ft pounds.

Anyone have real world knowledge?

L.R.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't help there, but just to be sure, you said "headers" but are you speaking of the stock cast-iron manifolds? Or do you have tubular steel headers?

Paul

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I use Remflex gaskets and they always have a recommended torque spec. I can't remember what it is, but it is way lower than I always think it should be. Maybe 20-25ish?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Thanks Matt, Bumped them to 20ft pounds.

Yes running Sanderson shorty headers for P heads.

L.R.
As per Sandersons literature .1/8 inch bead of ultra black on header flange{ appears the bead is on the machined weld bead around each port} let silicone set up over night ,then install headers and torque 15-20 ft ibs..
If these are new headers I'd install them the sanderson way but maybe slighty a thinner bead of silicone..If they are old headers with a history of sealing problems the definetly would use Remflex gaskets,