• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Rear third member gasket replacement & torque

tampabronco

Third member is leaking and wondering if it better to use a gasket or permatex? Also what's the torque spec?

raleigh_bronco

Bronco Guru
Lube Locker Gasket, no permatex or gasket maker I think the torque spec is 35 ft.LBs

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lube Locker Gasket, no permatex or gasket maker I think the torque spec is 35 ft.LBs

X2 on the Lube-Locker silicone beaded, metal gaskets...they're awesome and work without any fuss at all. No RTV or paper gaskets means no cleanup or prep when pulling the differential, just yank it out and put it back in.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lube locker all the way. I use them on all differentials, need to change the fluid? Pull the cover, reinstall and fill. On a 9” you can pull a gap, let it drain, push it back and tighten the nuts back up, no need to wrestle that 90# chunk in and out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Do you really need the copper washers? With normal paper gaskets I've just used washers from the hardware store without any problem. Also some rtv with the paper gasket. When I put in the arb I'm planning on going lube locker

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
So I picked up a lubelocker for my 70's 9 inch, but the gasket does not fit properly.

Anybody else have this problem? One solution might be to slightly enlarge the holes, without damaging the orange rubber gasket material, but I'm curious what others may have encountered.

I have the the same issue with it buckling/fitting tight even with it flipped 180°.

Attachments

• PXL_20240211_184217480.jpg
    PXL_20240211_184217480.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 26

Jdgephar

Bronco Guru
So I picked up a lubelocker for my 70's 9 inch, but the gasket does not fit properly.

Anybody else have this problem? One solution might be to slightly enlarge the holes, without damaging the orange rubber gasket material, but I'm curious what others may have encountered.

I have the the same issue with it buckling/fitting tight even with it flipped 180°.
Looks like it is 90degrees turned from where it should be. I'm guessing that the orange dots should be top and bottom? Kinda looks like the words "LubeLocker" should be at the top, or maybe the bottom?

jerry

Contributor
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Looks like it is 90degrees turned from where it should be. I'm guessing that the orange dots should be top and bottom? Kinda looks like the words "LubeLocker" should be at the top, or maybe the bottom?

Lol right you are. Correct orientation and it all lined up and was good to go.

Thank you!