• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Thought I could get away with keeping the stoc Trac bar, but

OP
OP
reamer

reamer

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So with my 33" tires, I measured toe the "old fashioned way", I have a tire toe measuring stick "from the old days" its and aluminum bar with 2 pointers on each end. One is fixed, one is adjustable, ( slides on the bar).
It sits about 8" off the floor, measuring the rear side of the tires, set the fixed pointer on the center cast line of the tire, and set the adjustable pointer on the other side on the cast seam of the other tire. Lock into position.
Now slide it out from the rear and align the pointers to the same seam on the front of the tires. I get a measurement of 1/16" difference total toe in. Is this sufficient for 33" tires?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
that's right in the low end of the usual sweet spot. I've found that 3/16 is usually better, but it depends on the rig, the tires, the wheels, and the personal tastes of the owner.
I just experimented with from 1/4" toe-OUT to 1/4" toe-IN recently, and in my case with 31's the 1/16" setting was too twitchy. Even toe-OUT felt better.

But I always say too, that it's good to know what your toe setting is, but it's only a starting point in the beginning. After you determine where you are, you start experimenting from there.
I would definitely try more toe-in, but in very small increments. Maybe a small turn of the adjuster at a time. Baby steps until you find out where you like it.

When you're daily driving it's much easier, because you can make a change and know how it feels very quickly. When I get close I tend to drive it that way for a week or so, rather than a quick test-drive.
After a week, I change it again. If it feels better still I keep going. If it feels worse I go back and settle on the best spot.

For me that's almost always been 3/16" or so with my methods. Variations occur with inconsistent tire sidewall bulges and such, so our numbers might not match precisely. However they should be very close.

Paul

Germd

Some of it may be all the new parts too. I just did a build that drove okay but didn't feel great and had some weird quirks. It now has about 4000 miles on it and really starting to drive better and loose some of the quirkyness. The other thing to remember is the short wheel base and soft suspension will have some of its own quirks, but I know we all know that LOL
Just got mine back from a two year full nut and bolt restoration. It was gone so long I had forgotten how it drove, although I remember it drove way better than my lifted ‘05 Rubicon with ‘35s. My Bronco is a ‘74 with a 3.5” suspension lift & 1” body lift And 35” tires. During the rebuild ALL bushings, springs, shocks and nonmetal suspension parts were replaced and fasteners were either replaced if worn or refinished before install. Front steering converted to TRO. Mine requires continuous driver attention, but it’s not “darty” like the Jeep. The more I drive it with everything new - the more it seems to “settle”. Maybe drive it some more and it may “fix” itself or tell you what it needs?
the older I get, the more it seems “Occams Razor” applies.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the previously stated .15 degree toe for total toe? Or just one wheel?
If both, it seems to coincide with about 1/8" total toe-in using a 31.5" tire diameter in the calculations.

Are your tires metric or flotation? If a 33" flotation size, it's likely only about 31.5-32 inches total. Might take a measurement if you have not already, just so you know that bit of data as well. If a metric, they may be closer to the actual 32-33 inch diameter.
But the bottom line is still how it "feels" when driving. So if factory settings for 28" bias-ply tires does not feel right with 33" radials, change it.

Paul

m_m70

Contributor
Loc.
Pacifica, CA
I'm running 33's BFG At's w/2.5" lift and a daily driver. Initially, I had the same problems with slight wondering and it drove me nuts.
Like Paul, I had to bring in the toe to a fat 3/16" and air down the fronts to 28lbs with the rears at 26lbs.
With that, I have zero wondering, no weird tread wear after 22k miles on these tires.
Rides really nice on the freeway @ 70+.
So I think if you play with the toe you might find a good sweet spot.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The good news is that you don't have to measure it each time you make a change. Just make small incremental changes of about 1/8-turn on the adjuster each time. Maybe even smaller turns as you get to an area that seems good.
Then just measure it after you find the happy place so you know and can repeat it after any future changes to the front end or tires are made.

Paul