• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

State Farm aqiuired Hagerty

fluffybunny

Contributor
I was at a car show yesterday and State Farm had a booth there. The lady working the booth told me that they bought Hagerty, had removed many of the restrictions, and have been beating some of the classic insurers on rates. MIght be worth a look when you're insurance shopping.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well this doesn't make me happy at all.

I have and have had many family that worked for State farm and they will go out and get your business then dump you later for almost any reason.
An extreme example but they did this during the year of Katrina. Pushed to bring people on board then started dumping people for even acts of god because they were losing their ass. I was told by family that worked there and who has 1 act of god claim for the year that if she hadn't worked there, they would have dumped her too that year..

State farms coverage from my personal dealings with them, is that it get better the tighter you are with the local office/rep.

I never got screwed over, like I got screwed over by State farm.. Buyer beware!

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
I cannot find anything to indicate that they were “bought” by State Farm. Hagerty is now a publicly traded company and State Farm is invested. They also have an alliance in which State Farm sells classic vehicle insurance which Hagerty underwrites. I found this in Hagerty’s last annual report.
8b06a341c1322155ce18563ef05fa242.png

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only thing I have with Hagerty, recently Markel, now looks like State Farm is my classic boat insurance.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
@Slowleak - thanks for that additional info - that makes a lot more sense in terms of the arrangements.

Todd Z.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well this doesn't make me happy at all.

I have and have had many family that worked for State farm and they will go out and get your business then dump you later for almost any reason.
An extreme example but they did this during the year of Katrina. Pushed to bring people on board then started dumping people for even acts of god because they were losing their ass. I was told by family that worked there and who has 1 act of god claim for the year that if she hadn't worked there, they would have dumped her too that year..

State farms coverage from my personal dealings with them, is that it get better the tighter you are with the local office/rep.

I never got screwed over, like I got screwed over by State farm.. Buyer beware!
I am with big muddy on this one , been dropped by SF before. Time will tell. Thanks for the info.

dmoses42

Contributor
Bronco addict
Loc.
Brunswick, Ga
I had State Farm in my late teens-early 20s, I was living with my sister and her family so that is how I got coverage through them. Every 6 months when my policy was due, they would drop me. I'd go talk to my agent and she would say she couldn't find a reason for it and rewrite the policy. Every 6 months. When I joined the Air Force and moved away, I sold my car to save money (E1 pay wasn't much, I doubt it has changed) and later when I bought another car, I went to State Farm and they said they couldn't insure me due to my age. I was quite angry. They didn't mind taking my $300 a month for that new Mustang I had in 1991, but couldn't insure me in 1993. Never had a claim, never missed a payment. State Farm can suck one.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
I've had State Farm going on 46 years, even on the house. Got the VIP treatment after the garage fire. Top dollar on lost items. Always came through on claims. I can't complain. I am definitely going to check this out with my agent.

Kbpony

I asked The local State Farm agent to quote coverage on my house when I bought it. His answer was that if my family were already doing business with him and we had a good history, he might consider coverage, but at the time he felt my house was too big of risk. He said to check back later after I fixed it up. I confirmed with him that while he wasn’t willing to take a risk on a young man getting started, he would be happy to take my money when I was older and more established. He answered yes, and I told him I would not be calling again.. My dad had a very poor experience with SF as well. He was hit by a guy trying to pass while Dad was making a left turn. Thankfully not hurt, but truck was almost totaled. They tried every trick in the book to get out of paying. Only reason they couldn’t weasel out of paying was the record their insured had been issued a ticket.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
You can get a thousand "I hate this insurance" company story from probably any of the insurance companies. I hope SF doesn't screw me over some day as I switched to auto/house/business about 4 yrs ago.

My brother worked in claims for Allstate.... lot of people HATE them too! lol

cannunz546

Contributor
Bronco Owner and Admirer
Loc.
Northwest Suburbs, Chicago
ALL insurance companies take in as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible. I agree with nvrstuk. You can find someone that hates any insurance company. It's usually people who had a claim denied.