• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ron Francis Explorer EFI harness

EB70

Contributor
I know a lot of people do their own harness work etc. EFI GUY seemed to be the go to guy etc. at least when I was on here regularly.

What are your thoughts on the Ron Francis harness? Has anyone used it and had good results? Pros and cons vs. doing your own etc.

Just starting to look at options as I plan a swap.

It is a 96 Explorer 5.0 that will be the likely donor.

Thank you

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I know a lot of people do their own harness work etc. EFI GUY seemed to be the go to guy etc. at least when I was on here regularly.

What are your thoughts on the Ron Francis harness? Has anyone used it and had good results? Pros and cons vs. doing your own etc.

Just starting to look at options as I plan a swap.

It is a 96 Explorer 5.0 that will be the likely donor.

Thank you
I have the old RJM which I think is Ron Francis. It was super easy and works well with my setup.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BanditBronco

I believe the OP is talking about the part # MG-91E. I haven't seen anyone here do one yet. I am interested in finding someone with experience with one as well. Basically you have two choices, this or, pull one from an explorer and do the mods yourself using EFI Guy's guide. No doubt buying the ron francis is more expensive, but you don't have to part out an explorer to get it.

OP
OP
E

EB70

Contributor
I believe the OP is talking about the part # MG-91E. I haven't seen anyone here do one yet. I am interested in finding someone with experience with one as well. Basically you have two choices, this or, pull one from an explorer and do the mods yourself using EFI Guy's guide. No doubt buying the ron francis is more expensive, but you don't have to part out an explorer to get it.

Yes you are correct. I am capable of the Explorer harness mods, but honestly time is becoming more important to me and I like the idea of using the new wire, and the instructions etc. It might be a better option for me. But I couldn't find any reviews or much first hand knowledge of its use.

GWBronco

I can tell you i just went with the EFI Guy harness...and it was the best made, pre-made, and easiest to install. It literally took me a day and a half to install it and have it running. He adjusts the ecu to your vehicle, it is literally plug and play. Looking at the Ron Francis looks like you are going to be running a lot of wire and then putting all the loom on. EFI Guy's is already done. It also looks like not all the 02 sensors are eliminated or the other emissions things, if you do not need to run that. If time is an issue I say go EFI Guy, it will be your quickest.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
https://www.stinger-performance.com/store/mg-91E-4.6-5.0-explorer-harness-telorvek

I googled it, came up with this website, where the price is a little cheaper than the Ron Francis site.

Installation instructions can be reviewed or downloaded... They seem written better than some I have seen.

It still looks like an ECU would need to be provided? Possibly modified?

Ron Francis typically has well made products, although this one is not stocked and is made to order.

I still have an issue with possible points of failure I see, every end of the wire needs a crimp connector installed and then screwed down to the board. You could use a non covered connectors, crimp, solder, shrink tube it.

Probably okay for a street rod, but a Bronco that is taken off road subjects these connections to vibration, heat, dirt, moisture, etc.

Just sharing thoughts here, nothing more...

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I can tell you i just went with the EFI Guy harness...and it was the best made, pre-made, and easiest to install. It literally took me a day and a half to install it and have it running. He adjusts the ecu to your vehicle, it is literally plug and play. Looking at the Ron Francis looks like you are going to be running a lot of wire and then putting all the loom on. EFI Guy's is already done. It also looks like not all the 02 sensors are eliminated or the other emissions things, if you do not need to run that. If time is an issue I say go EFI Guy, it will be your quickest.

I agree, I have done 4 Explorer conversions using Garry's products and his support. And he is willing to do custom mods, to some degree. Like longer pigtails to componets, adding CC canister purge, a 2nd vss wiring for aftermarket Cruise contol. I relalize he takes a little longer to get things done, only because he has become more popular.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I have the old RJM which I think is Ron Francis. It was super easy and works well with my setup.

Jason

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was told Ryan of RJM went back to his day job and sold out to Ron Francis?

I have his built EFI harness for the mustang computer and have been very pleased with it.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I was told Ryan of RJM went back to his day job and sold out to Ron Francis?

I have his built EFI harness for the mustang computer and have been very pleased with it.

Yep I heard the same and rhat is what I have on a gt40 motor from an Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk