• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reverse manual Valve Body driving question

Dasmms

Loc.
Goodlettsville, TN
How streetable (I don't think that's a word) is the reverse manual compression braking valve body? My bronco is just a weekend warrior not a DD. I don't mind the idea of shifting gears and like all the benefits of the engine braking. For those that have experierence with this setup how do you like it driving around town?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
How streetable (I don't think that's a word) is the reverse manual compression braking valve body? My bronco is just a weekend warrior not a DD. I don't mind the idea of shifting gears and like all the benefits of the engine braking. For those that have experierence with this setup how do you like it driving around town?

If it's not a daily driver, you probably won't mind it at all. You'll have the same engine braking in a regular forward pattern C4 that you'll have in a manual valve bodied C4 but it is kinda fun to row through the gears.

Todd Z.

wngrog

Loc.
Canton
It is fine. I have had reverse manual, manual and full auto tranny's.

I am back to full auto and I like it the best, especially when on the road.

I can put my LOKAR in "1" position and it will hold in gear going downhill like compression braking.

The only thing I have ever found I like about a manual valve body is being able to start off in 2nd gear for big hills.

I would not do it. Full auto is best IMO.

wngrog

Loc.
Canton
It will start in 1st and shift to second when the RPMs get up.

Not bad in the mud, but if you are on a near vertical, that shift can cause serious problems.....

641736548_ignnS-L-1.jpg

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
It will start in 1st and shift to second when the RPMs get up.
Not bad in the mud, but if you are on a near vertical, that shift can cause serious problems.....
Forgive Nolen..........He is a Chevy guy remember? C4 will start in 2nd gear if the shifter is in second gear, unlike a GM tranny. A GM tranny will start in first, then shift to second.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
Yep, poor Chebby guys!!!!!! :p

My C6 holds second with no problem as well.

brewchief

I ran mine like that for years, didn't bother me a bit, I did run a lot more stall speed in my converter than most people do however ( about 3500).

I'm currently running a NP435 and hate it, I will be switching to a C-6 soon and it will get a FMRVB and a converter close to what I had with my C-4.