• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Reverse a manual steering box

STD

Loc.
Waukesha, WI
I know this might sound odd but I have a man box that I want to change the rotation on. I am using it on another project. What is needed to make this work

sent from images in breakfast sandwiches

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Don't you do that in a 4x4x2 - turn the pitman around using 2ws box guts...?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Don't you do that in a 4x4x2 - turn the pitman around using 2ws box guts...?

Yes, but you swap the worm and nut which is cut in the opposite rotation. That needs to come from a different box with the same type of internals.

I guess the box could be mounted upside down but that puts the pitman arm higher than the box.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Different box huh? Maybe he is happy with the current box, oh wait, wrong box.

OP
OP
S

STD

Loc.
Waukesha, WI
That is what I was thinking that I could use a worm gear from a 4x4x2 conversion. I want to use it since I have it laying around. I want the pitman arm to face downward. Otherwise it won't work

OP
OP
S

STD

Loc.
Waukesha, WI
Yes, but you swap the worm and nut which is cut in the opposite rotation. That needs to come from a different box with the same type of internals.

I guess the box could be mounted upside down but that puts the pitman arm higher than the box.

Has anyone checked to see of the internals are the same as the ps boxes

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Has anyone checked to see of the internals are the same as the ps boxes

Not even close. The internal part you swap for the 4x4x2 is the part that takes up the entire upper part of the gear box. The manual and power boxes are engineered completely differently. Considering the manual EB box is unique to the EB, there isn't another box out there that you can try swapping any internals with.

As Viperwolf has said, the only way you are going to be able to reverse the direction is by installing the box upside down.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Scout PS boxes are reverse turn of EB boxes. Maybe the manual ones are also.