• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Real seal oil leak?

clinem03

I continue to get a lot of oil (?) leakage from under the front of the bell housing between the plate and BH (see photos). It has been a constant leak since the rebuild. I had the clutch and fly wheel replaced a few hundred miles ago, and the leak has been persistent before and after the rebuild of the transmission. We didn't replace the rear seal when the transmission was out b/c it was bone dry. I should also note that the fluid leaking out is always jet black, even when my oil is clean/changed. It tends to flow much heavier when the engine warms up on longer drives.

Could it be anything other than a rear seal leak?

Attachments

• IMG_7312.jpg
    IMG_7312.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7313.jpg
    IMG_7313.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7314.jpg
    IMG_7314.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 82

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Did you locktite the flywheel bolts? as oil can seep through those bolts too. I would make sure your PVC system is up to snuff so your internal engine gasses is not being pressurized and pushing oil out. You need a good source of air in the valve cover and good vacuum on the PVC valve to suck the pressure out.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Any oil running through the bell housing will be really black.
Have you looked at the rear intake manifold "valley seal" and the valve covers? Leaks from those places can track down the bell housing.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Did you locktite the flywheel bolts? as oil can seep through those bolts too. I would make sure your PVC system is up to snuff so your internal engine gasses is not being pressurized and pushing oil out. You need a good source of air in the valve cover and good vacuum on the PVC valve to suck the pressure out.

Not sure as I outsourced the flywheel replacement to a good shop here in the area that works on classics - I plan to head up there this week and will ask. I also have been having other oil leaks that and even blew through two fuel pumps (carters) that were spraying oil out of the weep hole. The 2nd pump blew in less than 100 miles from replacing it. I put on a Airtex pump and all seems to be OK but I'm only ~50 miles in since replacing it. I also have an oil leak just under the crankcase where the oil pan meets the balancer. I recently refurbished the oil pan, added a single Fel-Pro seal but it still leaks out the front. I planned to drain the oil, drop the pan and make sure everything is lined up and add a bit of RTV. I did replace the PCV valve so I hope its working!

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Any oil running through the bell housing will be really black.
Have you looked at the rear intake manifold "valley seal" and the valve covers? Leaks from those places can track down the bell housing.

I'm not sure what the rear intake vally seal is? Can you point me in the right direction on that one? Valve covers were cleaned, powder coated and replaced with nice Fel-Pro seals about 500 miles back but I'll double check for leaks.

Last edited:

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I'm not sure what the rear intake vally seal is? Can you point me in the right direction on that one?

The seal I'm referring to is the long skinny gasket along the front and rear of the intake manifold. It's often referred to as a "China Wall".
Most of the builders will avoid using the seal that comes in the gasket set, and use a thick line of RTV instead.

Also, when you replace the front crankshaft seal in the timing cover, use the balancer to center the timing cover on the crank before tightening down the cover bolts. Otherwise the seal may not be properly centered, and leak.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

The seal I'm referring to is the long skinny gasket along the front and rear of the intake manifold. It's often referred to as a "China Wall".
Most of the builders will avoid using the seal that comes in the gasket set, and use a thick line of RTV instead.

Also, when you replace the front crankshaft seal in the timing cover, use the balancer to center the timing cover on the crank before tightening down the cover bolts. Otherwise the seal may not be properly centered, and leak.

I'll check the china wall, thanks for that! Before I refurbished the oil pan and added a new seal, it wasn't leaking. I really think is a gap in the oil pan seal that is causing the leak not on the timing cover alignment...but I'll double check.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Seems there is some “Shiny” build up but it looks pretty pooled up in that one spot…is this enough to be the culprit of the leak?

Attachments

• 44F67CE7-D406-4532-845F-5C1EA29A9398.jpg
    44F67CE7-D406-4532-845F-5C1EA29A9398.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 102

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Hit that area with a degreaser or oven cleaner and rinse off. Drive it and see if it reappears.

After your fuel pump issues you need to put a few miles on it anyway.

Did the shop that replaced the clutch say anything about oil on the old clutch?

svastano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pulaski, PA
What brand of rear main seal was used? I used 2 Felpro and both leaked ended getting a made in USA rear main from my machine shop and so far so good! about 1600 miles on the motor since that.

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Hit that area with a degreaser or oven cleaner and rinse off. Drive it and see if it reappears.

After your fuel pump issues you need to put a few miles on it anyway.

Did the shop that replaced the clutch say anything about oil on the old clutch?

Good call - more to come soon!

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

What brand of rear main seal was used? I used 2 Felpro and both leaked ended getting a made in USA rear main from my machine shop and so far so good! about 1600 miles on the motor since that.

I did not replace the main seal as it was dry on the trans side...but good to know that the felpro ones are leaking!

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Found my leak! Seems it is the intake manifold gasket. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 48EA5635-F1BA-432F-BC9E-82435FAA755A.jpg
    48EA5635-F1BA-432F-BC9E-82435FAA755A.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

So I pulled the intake manifold, restored it, reinstalled it with a heavy bead of RTV and new gaskets (not on the "china wall" part). It stopped the oil blowing out the rear and dripping down and leaking from the bottom of my bell housing. It slowed the oil flow down quite a bit, but I still have oil leaking from the same spot (although slightly less). I think at this point it is likely a rear seal leak. I cleaned the bell housing up this morning and took her for a run to see where the oil is leaking and it appears to be from behind the plate and down the center of the bell-housing....AND now I also see oil leaking out of the shift fork boot - that has to be a rear seal blowing oil into the bell-housing...right?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Make sure the crank case is vented well. Pressure build up will force oil out the rear seal

Tim

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Make sure the crank case is vented well. Pressure build up will force oil out the rear seal

Tim

Thanks, Tim! How do you make sure the crankcase is properly vented? My PCV valve is new and lines are clean, I also have a filter on the passenger valve cover in lieu of running it into the stock air cleaner.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Thanks, Tim! How do you make sure the crankcase is properly vented? My PCV valve is new and lines are clean, I also have a filter on the passenger valve cover in lieu of running it into the stock air cleaner.

Sounds like you got it covered....Prob not the issue.. :(

Tim

OP
OP
clinem03

clinem03

Sounds like you got it covered....Prob not the issue.. :(

Tim

The truck sat for 20 years so I have no clue when/IF the rear seal was replaced. I had the transmission out and the rear seal seemed dry on the trans side so I left it...regretting that!

If oil is now pushing out the shift fork boot, it can't be from anything other than the rear seal - right?

Last edited: