• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Real numbers from Iceland - One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ninety Eight

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
Some of you may know I have been counting and documenting Early Bronco's in Iceland. I have gone through all of the Icelandic DMV database it has given me this actual numbers.
Now the problem is that when the DMV db was changed from paper to electronic they did not transfer all vehicles over. So the fact is that I am missing some, but I likely have 90+%
I can search the DB by Owner's, Year, VIN, and Vehicle number's and many other features

On the first Image you see the years and Import numbers by year. Then the County Letter and Number of Bronco's in that County
The County numbers are from the old vehicle license plate system:
R is for Reykjavik
A stands for Eyjafjörður, which is Akureyri and surrounding eras. Etc...
JO stands for Vehicles that where Imported to Iceland By Navi Personnel. Some where sold to Icelanders other exported with owners
VLM stands for Army Personnel Vehicles that where Sold to Army personnel's

On the second Image (Screenshot from DB) you see that John R Boucher was the last person to own the 1974 Bronco and he bought it from Montana L McClanahan and you see the Icelandic Owner story after that.
On April 18 2002 John R Boucher deported that 1974 Bronco. So the Fact is that, at least 1898, 66-77 Ford Bronco's where in Iceland.

The third screenshot shows a 1974 Bronco Imported and first registered in Iceland in July. 24. 1975 by John C. Rinaldo He then sold it to Pétur Júlíusson and other Icelanders bought it after that.

Most are gone rusted away or destroyed.
I hope this information sheds light on the story of Bronco's in Iceland.

EB_Iceland.jpg EB_Iceland 2.jpg EB_Iceland 3.jpg

Last edited:

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Very interesting info - thanks for sharing that!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
Geiri

Geiri

Loc.
Iceland
follow you on Instagram love the content. Now were they all u15s shipped up there or were some u14s?
That's what I was curious about too. @Geiri are you able to the vins or just the model year?
Thank you :)

I have all the VIN numbers. I have 2, U14's registered. One I own myself (U14FL773148). I have not had it confirmed that it was a U14. It could be a typo The rest is U15.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Interesting early on I passed on one that had been re-imported to the US and for sale near Washington DC. It had the extra wide flares, wide tires and was geared to a top speed of 50-60 mph. Should have bought it.