• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Project Grabber Orange

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
We are starting the process to fix the piece of crap we bought. Mechanic quit on us, said it had too many problems that were a liability to him. Looks like I will be doing it all myself.

What is the best way to handle a "Y" front end repair or replacement? It still has 5.5" of suspension lift.

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
I assume that you have the "inverted-Y" 76-77 steering linkage.
IMO is to get the TRO (tie rod over) and run the chevy rod ends and steering links that a few vender sells, cut specific to your rigs measurements.
Raise your tracbar on the axle and use an adjustable tracbar linkage, cut to fit. Mock up before finish welding. adjust to get both links parallel to reduce bump steer.
No drop pitman arm and no drop tracbar bracket used.

This is how my rig is set up. works great and I'll do it again for my other 77.

DonaldDouchebag

Bronco Guru
I assume that you have the "inverted-Y" 76-77 steering linkage.
IMO is to get the TRO (tie rod over) and run the chevy rod ends and steering links that a few vender sells, cut specific to your rigs measurements.
Raise your tracbar on the axle and use an adjustable tracbar linkage, cut to fit. Mock up before finish welding. adjust to get both links parallel to reduce bump steer.
No drop pitman arm and no drop tracbar bracket used.

This is how my rig is set up. works great and I'll do it again for my other 77.

I'll second this. What you're trying to do is limit the angle of your draglink and track bar so you don't end up with awful steering and a lot of bumpsteer. Your track bar and draglink should be the same angle and as close to the same length as possible.

By flipping your tie rod to the top of your knuckles you are putting it closer to your pitman arm and effectively lessening the angle of your draglink.

Also, you're going to want a set of 7 degree C bushings for the front end and possibly a set of lowered brackets for where the radius arm attaches to the frame. The idea is to increase your caster to give you more predictable steering.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
What part of Al. are you in?Several good Bronco owners in AL on here and I bet some are in your area!;)

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Take pictures of how it looks currently.
Overall front end pic from the front.
Drag link to tierod
Each tierod end and knuckle.
Drag link to pitman arm.
Front upper and lower spring perches (they looked odd on the ebay listing).
Radius arms and mount on each end.
Upper and lower shock mounts.

Once we know exactly what has been done already, we can give you a better idea of where to go.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
You have several guys in the Dothan and Enterprise area that can help. You have one that has restored several and he does good work maybe he will chime in soon. I am not too far from you if I can help just let me know. As far as the tie-rod goes I would do just what Mad has already said. I currently have the chevy one tie-rods on mine but I have used cut down F-150 tie-rods as well. They worked well for me.

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
I am in Dothan. I would recommend a tie rod over with the Chevy tie rod ends. Or you can use the heim joints also. I am currently building a 74 now. Just message me your number if you need some help.

Joey

66ALRIDE

Contributor
Just BIP It!
Loc.
Dothan, AL
Ok I looked at some of the pics from the gallery. I pm'd you my number. I would take a look at it in person. First thing I see is the linkage issue. If you go with the 1 ton Chevy or heim joint tie rod over conversion you will need wheel spacers at the minimum. Then the coils look to be bulging too much. Coils will bulge out some but the pictures look too much. Just look up some of my build threads and you can see the type work I do. Give me a call though and I'll help you the best I can. Also JDJ lives close to Ozark and beaux312 is in Dothan.

OP
OP
bbow

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Got my new Edelbrock 1403 Carb in today. Exited about sticking on this weekend. Out with the Holley 600.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
You have recieved good advice about the steering. I'd say follow through with the tips given here.

I just want to say that I'm glad you are keeping it and fixing instead of gitting rid of it. Bravo! ;)

OP
OP
bbow

bbow

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ozark, Alabama
Edelbrock carb is on. So easy and only a little idle adjustment required. Seat Belts installed, new modulator valve installed. Next step is to replace leaking transmission oil cooler lines that have been hacked up and spliced with rubber hose.

rlader

Loc.
Fort Payne, AL
Urgent to stop work till you get title issued cleared up. You may be throwing money away if you plan on driving it on streets. Contact local Alabama Department of Revenue office to schedule a Revenue Officer to come inspect vehicle. You may need a rebuilers license if repairs are extensive. Do not put money into vehicle you can not get back if it can not be titled. Good Luck!

MYGR868

BANNED
I have been following all the posts about the guy you all are complaining about who is near me in Alabama, I live in Guntersville,AL I am gonna go view this bronco he has on ebay wish me luck. I will let you all know what i find. I still don't agree with bashing or bringing his family into whatever your issues may be.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I have been following all the posts about the guy you all are complaining about who is near me in Alabama, I live in Guntersville,AL I am gonna go view this bronco he has on ebay wish me luck. I will let you all know what i find. I still don't agree with bashing or bringing his family into whatever your issues may be.

good luck hope you know what to look for;)

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco

Let's see pix of your great'68......

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
http://extremecustomparts.com/c-169...s-7-8-18-taps-nuts-adapters-d-o-m-tubing.html

Thats what im doing (chebbyTRE-TRO swap). I have a 5.5"lift, drop radius arm brackets, stock pitman arm, adj trac bar, and will fab up a trac bar riser on the axle. I may need to add some degreed C-bushings (have stock deg rubber ones now), but wont know until i get a alignment. Adding some 10deg steel shims to the rear axle as well.

Become a contributer so you can post pics on here. It helps alot to see pics of what your working on so we can catch other things as we go. Nobody likes to work backwards! And im glad you got the bronco back from your machanic, if hes not a bronco guy like us he wouldnt have a clue what to do to fix you up. He might not have done any better job on it then good old Bama did!! Best to get to know your bronco now.

GOOD LUCK. NO MATTER WHAT BRONCO YOU BUY YOU WILL HAVE TO SPEND MONEY AND TIME UPDATING IT AND MODDING IT TO YOUR TASTE!

THATS JUST BRONCOING FOR YA! ITS WHAT YOU BUILD NOT WHAT YOU BUY!

And quit calling your bronco a piece of crap! no bronco wants to hear that! You want to see some real gems???

Attachments

• 5L15N75E63M23I13lfc4le88aaf6c10c51758.jpg
    5L15N75E63M23I13lfc4le88aaf6c10c51758.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 5I55K65F23K83L63J1c4q0676d509feb218b0.jpg
    5I55K65F23K83L63J1c4q0676d509feb218b0.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 5Lc5N75T13Fa3J43N5c52ba4d33401ec21395.jpg
    5Lc5N75T13Fa3J43N5c52ba4d33401ec21395.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 72
  • post-4277-1143343491.jpg
    post-4277-1143343491.jpg