• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pep Boys..never again.

eBronc

Loc.
Austin, Texas
OK, this is a rant, and it might get moved - but it is Bronco related.

I have officially given up on Pep Boys. I haven't ever been exactly impressed with their stores, which always seemed to be understaffed and in a constant state of disarray, but since one of their locations is the closest auto parts outlet to my house, I would drop by every now and then for a few things, and it (used to have) a pretty good selection of Grade 8 hardware and Dorman bits and pieces.

No longer. I had been noticing the distrubing trend of less and less shelf and floor space for useful parts (belts, hardware, etc) and more and more devoted to "flash" - (chrome crap, neon tubes, pedal covers, that type of junk), and had pretty much ignored it as best I could, as long as I could go in there and get what I needed.

I can't even do that anymore. I'm rebuilding a Dana 44 front axle (see, I TOLD you it was Bronco related) and converting it over to discs, and several of the studs pressed into the knuckles were in bad shape and needed to be replaced. I figured a few Grade 8 bolts and nuts of the same size (7/16-20, 2" long) would be fine, so I stopped by Pep Boys this afternoon, assuming that the bins of Grade 8 hardware would supply what I needed. Guess what? No hardware. The bins were gone and replaced with....colored silicone tubing. I'm not kidding.

Stunned, I wandered around the aisles, hoping that maybe they had just moved the useful parts to a back aisle or something..but no. Gone. No, I didn't ask anyone where. You kidding? You ever try to get any help from anyone that works there? Please. If I can't walk into a store and find what I need within a minute or two, then I'm obviously in the wrong store.

I left. Never going back. What's the point? They've made it clear they're much more interested in selling useless CRAP to brain-dead wannabes than they are in selling real parts. That's just..sad. :p

Case

The nearest store to me is NAPA. The guy who works there needs a good wack upside the head. He is the type that always argues about everything even though he doesnt know what he is talking about. About a mile further down the road is a Ridge and Kramer. When i walk in, the two guys call me by name and wonder what i need. Never pester me and always help. This might be why i always go to them every chance i get. They gave me a free clamp on tire deflator thingie, said it was free so here, we dont need it. ;D ;D you are right about pep boys getting more and more useless crap. Who needs a neon shifter?? Or a 6" chrome tiped for your exhaust.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
What's sad is that there are no real auto parts stores remaining. Yes, Pep-Boys caters to the cheap-a$$ customizers and do not even carry real parts or components.

BOTOM LINE: Shop via the internet ... best wholesale level pricing with no sales tax for out-of-state orders. With expedited shipping, you still comes out ahead on cost ... and you don't have to wait in line behind the loser buying plastic spinner hubcaps %)

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
I am an ex Pep Boys employee and I will be the first to tell you that The Pep Boys corporation as a whole is the biggest joke I have ever been witness to in my life. You think things are bad on the outside? Try seeing thing from my point of view. I would get into details but the subject angers me so much I will refrain from doing so. But know this, I pity anybody who ever goes to work there. The place is one big Joke.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Ebronc,
I noticed the same thing at the Austin stores. The only thing I ever went to Pep Boys for was the Grade 8 bolts and an occasional can of cleaner. The whole bolt section has been removed, the performance parts are gone, the Grant steering wheels are gone, all replaced by isles of ricer gear, in all three stores.

68beast

Loc.
Covina, Kalifornia
i guess im lucky cause i got a King Bolt a few miles away. They got everything in brade 8, 5 whatever. Have heim joints, hitches, chain by the foot, and all sorts of other cool little dewhickeys that i have no idea what theyre for.

Bigbird

If I owned a parts store I'd sell all that crap too. That's where the money is at. I don't like it personally. But I got a decent place to get my parts so I dont need Pep Boys. I only get solvents and cleaners there because they are cheap there.

DoughBoy

Loc.
Hemet, CA
I've got McFaddendales not too far away. If they dont have it, it doesnt exist. I worked for Pep about 17 years ago... they were borderline then, but at least they had the basics. Now they are just a joke. The last 3 times I went in they were out of what I needed... 15A fuses, 194 light bulbs, and the last was a 2" hitch ball. Now I can see being out of hardware, as they are not a hardware store, but 15 amp fuses? A common light bulb? c'mon... these guys are losers, and I let the Manager know in no uncertain terms I wouldnt be back... I dont even think he cared. To be fair, I did the same to Home Depot a few months back. Its Kragen for me from now on

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
Bigbird said:
If I owned a parts store I'd sell all that crap too. That's where the money is at. I don't like it personally. But I got a decent place to get my parts so I dont need Pep Boys. I only get solvents and cleaners there because they are cheap there.

True but I think there should be a difference between Auto Parts stores and Auto Junk stores.

Jerrod4567

Loc.
Bakersfield CA
DoughBoy said:
I've got McFaddendales not too far away. If they dont have it, it doesnt exist. I worked for Pep about 17 years ago... they were borderline then, but at least they had the basics. Now they are just a joke. The last 3 times I went in they were out of what I needed... 15A fuses, 194 light bulbs, and the last was a 2" hitch ball. Now I can see being out of hardware, as they are not a hardware store, but 15 amp fuses? A common light bulb? c'mon... these guys are losers, and I let the Manager know in no uncertain terms I wouldnt be back... I dont even think he cared. To be fair, I did the same to Home Depot a few months back. Its Kragen for me from now on

Oh god... I just realized that you are from La Mirada. Woudn't happen to be the Pep Boys on Rosecrans would it? Heh thats where they sent me for training..... and if it make you feel any better, our stores here in Bakersfield are even worse....

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've seen the pep boys transition from usefull parts to crap, but have had better luck there than at kragen or autozone. I did notice if you go to a pep boys in a lower income neighborhood anything smaller than a steering wheel is behind the counter. I bought some tires in the redondo beach pep boys and they put the wrong tires on. They gave me a $50 gift card for my troubles. Then that night on the freeway my truck started to bounce around. Seems they forgot to balance the right set of tires. They made excuses why they weren't at fault but corrected the problem. They also gave me a free oil change for the lack of balancing. The only problem is I'm afraid to let them touch any of my vehicles after the tire dilema.

U

Unregistered

I stopped shopping at Pep Boys about 2 years ago after the manager would'nt exchange a set of LIFETIME replacement disc pads eventhough I had the original reciept. I was so mad I called the Corporate Office from the parking lot. I ended up getting my pads about 10 min. later and I 've never been back.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D And to think hear in my part of OZ we have no stinken pep boys we have O rileys and they can pi$$ you off when you go in for a part and the dumb girl tells your car dosnt have one of them on it.:eek: :eek: :eek: Bill :cool: %) :p

ltatro

Loc.
Michigan
I shop at the "local" parts store. I know I usually pay a little more for the parts I need, but they usually have them or are happy to order them for the following day. They have been around a long time and one of them is also into early bronco's which helps alot. Sometimes it's not always the price you pay but the free tech help and just good 'ol conversation.

DoughBoy

Loc.
Hemet, CA
Jerrod4567 said:
Oh god... I just realized that you are from La Mirada. Woudn't happen to be the Pep Boys on Rosecrans would it? Heh thats where they sent me for training..... and if it make you feel any better, our stores here in Bakersfield are even worse....

Yep, 2 blocks down from my house... I love how theres more product on the floor than on the hooks & shelves. They put the totes on the floors in the right aisles, but then never put the stuff away... it just sits there for days.

Passauf

Mailorder parts

So who are some of these mail order houses with great prices. Thanks guys

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
I guess I am lucky. The autozone that I go to is pretty good. They have guys that know what they are talking about not some teenager just trying to make a paycheck. Granted they do not always have everything but they can tell you where you can try, and get you on the right track.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA