• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doing a NV3550 Swap and need a pep talk and advice

tampabronco

I have read the instructions, chilton and watched videos and think I can get it done.

Gonna pull the transmission and transfer case tomorrow and pointers would be appreciated

Little concerned about installing the pressure plate and clutch and any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My first bit of advice is, don't get in a hurry. There are points where you'll need to cut a hole in the bell housing, possibly cut off the input shaft, and assemble the transfer case input shaft. Measuring is critical.
If you have a question, stop and ask.
When installing the bearing onto the input shaft, press it on. Don't just take a hammer to it.

Like I said, don't get into a hurry.;)

If yours is a factory three speed, the clutch goes together just like the one in there right now. The only difference I can think of is with the pilot bushing(if yours is a bushing rather than a needle bearing). It needs to be soaked in motor oil and not greased.

Here is some reading for you:

Attachments

• Instructions.pdf
    605.3 KB · Views: 26
  • cross member.pdf
    479.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:

croft75

I did mine myself watched the videos on my iPad as I worked on it. went pretty smooth everything went together without issues

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
I've got a transmission jack if you want to borrow it. Also got a clutch alignment tool. David

Last edited:

bigcountry

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How many miles are on the current clutch and pressure plate? if a good many I would take the flywheel off and get it resurfaced at an engine shop or some machine shops can do it. It helps to keep the clutch from chattering when pulling off.

Be sure to put blue lock tight on the flywheel bolts when reinstalling and it would be a good time to replace the pilot bearing.