• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Doing a NV3550 swap on my mall crawler

tampabronco

Have the NV3550 transmission and trying to figure out exactly what I need for the conversion kit. Planned on calling the bronco parts house and advanced adapter and see who has the best price. I have a 76 with a fresh paint job and do not take off road.

I've learned the hard way and Would appreciate any advice from those who have this set up.

tinytim02

Contributor
I'm a little ahead of you, have the transmission and all the adapters, just need to get it in the Bronco. I pieced my conversion kit together from the different vendors. I looked to see who had the best price. You'll need:

Small block ford to NV3550 kit
NV3550 to Dana 20 kit
Crossmember kit

Got the NV > D20 kit from Advance Adapters during a "Black Friday" sale.
Got the SBF > NV kit from Jeff's during their December sale 10% off.
got the crossmember kit from Summit with a 10% off coupon.

Total was right around $700 with shipping.

Mtgrizzlymn

You guys buying used trannies if so what mileage should I look for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First time I've heard about regear! What does that entail?

You need to know what gear ratios are in your differentials now, and what tire size you're going to ultimately end up with. And also what your engine is capable of.
Your '76 most likely came with 3.50 gears, but 4.11's were still an option at the time, so "could" be there as well. Not to mention literally 40 years of previous owners that could have swapped out at some point as well.

A stock engine can't lug down in a Bronco-like vehicle on the highway like a modern car (or even a truck!) can. It just doesn't develop the torque to pull it along through the air at highway speed headwinds at 1900 rpm!

Even a gear and tire combo that are matched well for the street and a non-overdrive trans, might not work well with your engine and an overdrive trans.
An EFI equipped engine, or one with a cam and headers and a good tune, will work differently under those conditions than one with a carb and a stock cam and exhaust.

Changing the gears involves parts and labor to the tune of about $500 at a minimum (if you can find used or super cheap parts and labor) to about $1200 for new in an urban area where shop rates are double that of a more rural area.
If you do go down this road, don't let anyone talk you into lockers or limited-slip diffs, or anything fancy. It's not an off-road truck, so you don't need the added cost, complexity and hassle of some of those setups.

Let us know what you know about yours and we can talk you through some of the better combinations to run.

Good luck.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You guys buying used trannies if so what mileage should I look for?

Not really sure there's an answer to that. Other than "the lowest possible!" in the case of a Jeep trans.
Any Jeep trans might have been subjected to severe abuse before retiring from it's original home. So unless you know the seller, be cautious.

Luckily most that are out there are in pretty decent shape. But that's never any kind of a guarantee unfortunately. You have to wonder why a trans is already out of a vehicle of that vintage in the first place.

Good luck. Unfortunately too, the used ones hold their prices too well. That's why I went with a new one myself. I just couldn't find any under $1000 bucks used around here, and I'm not going to buy a used trans and not rebuild it before going to the work of installing it. So I'm not going to spend $1000 bucks for a used one I have to rebuild, when I can buy a brand new one still. Yes, it's more, but it wasn't enough more for me to justify the expense and hassle of the unknown.

Paul