• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

One Link Rear Suspension?

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
Okay, I know I probably will get some slack for discussing this, but I've been looking at linking the rear of my Bronco. 3 & 4 links work awesome, but I've seen some amazing flex from these one link systems, and the guys that do it right (comp rigs, etc) love them. My question is, does anyone have these setups in their EB? If so, what are the driving characteristics? hop, antisquat, etc. My bronco is going to be a wheeler, but I'd also like to safely drive the family around and drive where needed. Many dog this design because of strength, but I feel if done right strength isn't an issue, but again, I'm a rookie when it comes to this.

If you're not familiar with a one link setup, here is a link to a pirate forum that has more info on it. (look at the blue scout part way down) He is using a grader ball as a joint and a panhard in the rear for axle location, I was thinking of doing a cleaner design with a large Summit Machine Jimmy Joint or Evo joint and a cleaner wishbone design with skid plate under the driveline and a panhard at the rear also.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273512&page=2&pp=30

Let me know your input, i'd really like to see if anyone has done this before on an eb with some pics. It's similar to the stock setup in MOGs, many comp buggies run this, and also http://scorpioncars.com/ (sweet chassis) also run these as well with great success.

Attachments

• grader1.jpg
    grader1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 200
  • grader2.jpg
    grader2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 115
  • grader3.jpg
    grader3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 157
  • grader4.jpg
    grader4.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 120

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I only know of one "Comp" rig with a 1 link, and they don't do very well at all.
Anyway, I think running a wishbone 3 link would be better as they are easier to setup.
I would not run a 1 link, IMO. All it does is hold the axle, you don't get any gain from them.

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
Here is a cleaner looking one link

I really like the look of this one link, looks really clean, and the single joint looks really beefy.

Also, the pic at the end is one a guy made into a skid plate also. Just fyi, it's also known as a grader ball, trailer ball, 1 link setup.

Also, there is a pic of a newer style joint that's out. It uses a trailer hitch ball with a really strong greasable housing. It's $250 though!

The final picture is a custom joint someone had a machinist make.

Attachments

• g-69rullaa.JPG
    g-69rullaa.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 114
  • rear1link010small3gs.jpg
    rear1link010small3gs.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
  • rear1link005small1ac.jpg
    rear1link005small1ac.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 58
  • rear1link002small4zc.jpg
    rear1link002small4zc.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 47
  • newbuggy111002small8ka.jpg
    newbuggy111002small8ka.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 81
  • coilbucketa004small3ql.jpg
    coilbucketa004small3ql.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 69
  • new_1_link_mount.jpg
    new_1_link_mount.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 55
  • custom_joint.jpeg
    custom_joint.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
I only know of one "Comp" rig with a 1 link, and they don't do very well at all.
Anyway, I think running a wishbone 3 link would be better as they are easier to setup.
I would not run a 1 link, IMO. All it does is hold the axle, you don't get any gain from them.

I've really been pondering a wishbone 3 link as well. Do you have any pics of one in an early bronco? I did see them in quarterhorse (which looks really nice).

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
1 links are a reall dumb setup IMO. You get unbelievable anti squat and it places all of the load solely on one joint.

It's not that much more work to build a triangulated 4-link for all the mods you have to do to get a 1-link to work. I believe that is what the synopsis of 1 links on Pirate was: WHY?

3 link or 4 link and never look back.

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
1 links are a reall dumb setup IMO. You get unbelievable anti squat and it places all of the load solely on one joint.

It's not that much more work to build a triangulated 4-link for all the mods you have to do to get a 1-link to work. I believe that is what the synopsis of 1 links on Pirate was: WHY?

3 link or 4 link and never look back.

Good opinion! I guess some people look at the difference of cost, buying one joint compared to 8 or 7, but I also don't want to waste time and money on a setup that's not as effective.

Do you know of any good reads for 3 link wishbone setups?

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
While you have it apart, why not build something that will be stable on the trail. 1 links lower the roll axis because they need a panhard bar, have high anti-squat numbers and don't offer improvements in ground clearance. It also looks like a nightmare to mount an appropriately beefy crossmember to accommodate a huge center joint.

Here's some links discussing the two. Triangulated 3 links (1 triangulated upper wishbone) accomplish the same thing as a 4 link, they just need more space to brace the arms and place a lot of force on the top link

A 4-link keeps that plane of motion separate, and subsequently distributes both the tension-compression loads of power and braking, and also the component forces of side loads on the axle, meaning the force necessary to keep the axle centered up on the body.

Dual triangulation keeps the axle steer to a minimum but sacrifices body roll to a degree so it might not be appropriate on a mostly street vehicle.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623152&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629372&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631324&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626567&highlight=3+link+rear

Here's a 10 pager on 1-link

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235977&highlight=3+link+rear

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
While you have it apart, why not build something that will be stable on the trail. 1 links lower the roll axis because they need a panhard bar, have high anti-squat numbers and don't offer improvements in ground clearance. It also looks like a nightmare to mount an appropriately beefy crossmember to accommodate a huge center joint.

Here's some links discussing the two. Triangulated 3 links (1 triangulated upper wishbone) accomplish the same thing as a 4 link, they just need more space to brace the arms and place a lot of force on the top link

A 4-link keeps that plane of motion separate, and subsequently distributes both the tension-compression loads of power and braking, and also the component forces of side loads on the axle, meaning the force necessary to keep the axle centered up on the body.

Dual triangulation keeps the axle steer to a minimum but sacrifices body roll to a degree so it might not be appropriate on a mostly street vehicle.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623152&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629372&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631324&highlight=3+link+rear

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=626567&highlight=3+link+rear

Here's a 10 pager on 1-link

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=235977&highlight=3+link+rear

Thanks for the info. Again, anybody ever seen a one link on a bronco? Just would like to see pics and if it worked well or not. I'm undecided what to do, but am leaning more towards a tri link with wishbone or 4 link.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I guess I have a fire and forget mentality when I think about what works, why would you want to build such an expensive and complicated suspension? Really if your talking about an early bronco the only way to go are: leafs, 3link, and 4link.
even with a bobbed rear you still wont need this crazy amount of flex really.
Now think about the strength, with a 4 link it would be extremely flexible and strong also it would be much easier to plan fuel exhaust and drive shaft set ups, if you did it it would be cool none the less though but not what I would want when it comes to something that is expensive and would most likely break.

68ford

Bronco Guru
if you lift your truck up with a tractor and stand under it for a picture......................................................

your probably a redneck ;D
as mentioned horrible geometry, probably the worst of all the options.

what happens when the trailing arms arent perfect when all is said and done and the axle isnt striaght? even in a jig, it wont be after welding it.

OP
OP
zdaily

zdaily

Loc.
Rogue River, OR
if you lift your truck up with a tractor and stand under it for a picture......................................................

your probably a redneck ;D
as mentioned horrible geometry, probably the worst of all the options.

what happens when the trailing arms arent perfect when all is said and done and the axle isnt striaght? even in a jig, it wont be after welding it.

Good point, thanks for all the info. It seems like it's obviously a not-so-smart setup, obviously no eb owners are running them as a viable option, so it would be smarter to stick with 3 or 4 link (proven) systems. Thanks for the info all.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I am really considering a 4 link for my bronco as well as producing for sale as well, if you do a 4 link please post up with what you did and what didn't work, I think I have a pretty good plan but I don't want to make any mistakes that could have been easily avoided.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
I always equate a 1 link suspension with vehicles built in the side yard of the trailer park that come up for sale on Ebay from time to time, being sold no doubt, to pay off the Yosemite Sam mudflaps bill at the local autorama.

I hope I've painted a clear picture here.

Broncoraptor - the market does not need another 'bolt-in' 4 link that requires so much !@#$%^&*() lift. I don't know what the fascination is with folks and tall lifts, but it sucks on the trail, and the street. I won't entertain any silly comments on the importance of BOA. If you're serious enough about wheeling to consider a 4 link for performance reasons rather than just being the next cool kid on your block, then you're willing to make some serious modifications to your rig to get it in and keep the COG low, and roll axis high.

There, that should stir the pot a little. I'm feeling a little full of vinegar after reading about another Wenzel wannabe on another forum... ;D

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Great comment 68Ford!
The more offroad races I go to, the more linked rear ends I see. They seem to be pretty strong and flexible on the tough desert trails, but looks like they are more common on longer wheel base vehicles.

I did see three EB's in the Baja 1000 contingency line that I believe were all running leafs. If an EB can run flat out running the Baja, thats tough enough and plenty of articulation for me.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Great comment 68Ford!
The more offroad races I go to, the more linked rear ends I see. They seem to be pretty strong and flexible on the tough desert trails, but looks like they are more common on longer wheel base vehicles.

I did see three EB's in the Baja 1000 contingency line that I believe were all running leafs. If an EB can run flat out running the Baja, thats tough enough and plenty of articulation for me.

Let me tell you something about the EB's at contingency....

NONE of them are running leafs because they're superior. Leafs are so freakin limited in performance when compared to a links it's not even funny. They're only running them because of class restrictions. Running a 4 link and coilovers would be so much smoother, it'd make them an entirely different vehicle, even without a longer wheelbase (the other sore issue in Class 3).