• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Toms Offroad 4-Link Rear Suspension

SavageBurro

Hey everyone... I was extremely fortunate to work with Toms this last year to test out some prototype 4 link rear suspension.

I have done a fair amount of testing on and offroad and am super impressed with it so far.

My understanding is they will have it available for sale around the first of the year, with different options for different ride heights. The mid-frame brackets connect both the lower and upper rear links... they also provide a connection for their new extended long arms if you want to run them.

On-Road: superb ride over any bronco leaf springs I've ridden on (and ive personally owned or ridden on just about every bronco leaf pack out there). i would call it plush. Does have some body roll but not horrible. My setup uses slightly softer spring rates. I tested with slightly firmer rates that do provide slightly less body roll. If I were going to do mostly road driving, a sway bar would be recommended. Toms can provide all the 4 link calculations but I can tell you the rear does not noticeably lift or squat on take off. It miiiight have just a tiiiiny but of squat on hard takeoff.

Off-road: Wow. it articulates and tracks so well over obstacles. I haven't done a lot of ledges yet but the few logs and steep inclines ive climbed up and over it has zero issues with. It seems to put just the right amount of pressure on the tires for traction with no noticeable hop. I'm running 39s w 1" body lift. Flares are not cut all the way to body line but close. With the current 10" bilstein coilovers, I have the link set up to be equivalent to a 5.5" lift using 200lb uppers and 250lb lowers. I believe they are going to offer different bracket heights to accommodate different coilover lengths... or maybe even coil buckets for standard coils?

Quality and fitment of the links and brackets: Quality is excellent / beefy. Fitment on first prototype resulted in some minor improvements that they have since integrated. They basically changed a couple bracket angles by a couple degrees and raised the lower side axle brackets to be flush with the bottom of axle tubes.

Exhaust. I have a 2 into 1 exhaust that tucks up tight, fits around my 4R70w and atlas, that comes up and over the links then out the back corner... so exhaust fitment is very do-able.

Other than going fast through some deep potholes, I have yet to try it out offroad at speed like in desert woops.

If you're looking for a quality ride and performance out of your suspension - I highly recommend you give Toms a call and look into their new 4 link!

Mike S.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Would love to see some pictures of your setup!

will do but keep in mind, whats in mine was a prototype so its not as perdy and as clean as what they are going to be selling. Also, i have the 4r70w and used the longer factory explorer tcase adapter and the long atlas output... so my drivetrain is pretty long. I ended up notching their driver side bracket a tad to give me extra room to install and remove tcase. Based on my measurements, that notch would not be needed if using the 4r70w and d20 or the short adapter w atlas and short output. When I notched it, I weakened it a tad - so I added another gusset to reinforce. I highly doubt 99% of folks will run into that clearance issue but if you do it is my understanding toms will offer that or a similar gusset. That said, I do not want to speak for them so if your drivetrain is 4+ inches longer than factory and tcase is clocked-up tight to the frame- you should ask them.

Some pics:

Attachments

• 20210825_190906.jpg
    20210825_190906.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 404
  • 20210825_190813.jpg
    20210825_190813.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 20210825_185320.jpg
    20210825_185320.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 20210707_114341.jpg
    20210707_114341.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 395
  • 20210815_164138.jpg
    20210815_164138.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 398
  • 20210825_185343.jpg
    20210825_185343.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 390
  • 20210825_183921.jpg
    20210825_183921.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 20210825_183907.jpg
    20210825_183907.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 388
  • 20210825_190801.jpg
    20210825_190801.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 345
  • 20211112_051311.jpg
    20211112_051311.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 377

jmhend

Bronco Guru
Mike,

Thanks for posting the pictures and the write up. Looks like a pretty cool system. I can't wait to see it hit the market.

hossbronco

Contributor
It's nice to see this finally come out, hopefully. I've been waiting 2 years, but I may be more likely to build my own at this point. I'm glad they're keeping coilovers as an option, and I'll definitely take a look at this kit before I make any decisions. Thank you for the review!

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I'm interested to see how near the center of gravity the lower links are at the frame. Looks well sorted from what I can see here. I like the adjustable uppers, you fellas in the PNW like more anti squat because your always in the mud with no traction. where as the SW like to be more neutral due having more traction, and the rest of the country is somewhere in the middle.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

I'm interested to see how near the center of gravity the lower links are at the frame. Looks well sorted from what I can see here. I like the adjustable uppers, you fellas in the PNW like more anti squat because your always in the mud with no traction. where as the SW like to be more neutral due having more traction, and the rest of the country is somewhere in the middle.

Hi Yeller,

First - very glad you're chiming in. I'm sure the folks at Toms would appreciate your expertise and input!!

I am not even remotely close to understanding the affects of all the different link angles, links etc. I know just enough to sort of understand when someone explains it to me. I do wheel a lot of different terrain and also do a fair amount of on-road cruising... making for a decent test dummy I guess.

I don't recall if this 4 link calculator printout is from an earlier setup or if it matches what I have, but it's probably really close (other than being setup for 35s and i'm running 39s). After talking w a good buddy of mine that builds a lot of rock crawling buggies in Az (and has built a fair number of desert race rigs/ and ultra 4 combination rigs) I believe he said he likes the anti-squat to be close to 100% for rock crawling but said anything over 85ish is good. (I don't recall what he said he shoots for for desert racing)

I 'think' Toms production brackets raise both the upper and lower axle-side links a tad from what is in this calculator. I am sure you know better than I but it was certainly difficult to get everything to work right for a stock wheelbase. I'm super happy with how it handles. While the body roll is not what I would call bad, I will likely also add a sway bar w disconnects at some point.

Attachments

• 4 link calculator.jpg
    4 link calculator.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 102

TN1776

Bronco Guru
That looks nice. Glad to hear that more suspension options are coming to the market. I really like that center link mount where the front and rear links all can connect. And it looks like the bracket hangs about as much as your Atlas, so that's not so bad. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

That looks nice. Glad to hear that more suspension options are coming to the market. I really like that center link mount where the front and rear links all can connect. And it looks like the bracket hangs about as much as your Atlas, so that's not so bad. Thanks for sharing.

You bet. I will likely weld a couple tabs flush w the bottom of their bracket that will allow me to run a skid plate under the atlas.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Forgot to mention - they index their brackets w specific holes and factory marks on the frame - making for simple and precise locating.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Thanks for the compliments, just a humble, hard working guy sharing experiences.

Not sure that's the same calculator for what you have due to the overhead view but the numbers do look good. My only concern is the overall length of the arms. It's not a deal breaker and does help with overall drive ability in a kit that has to fit multiple vehicles with many variables, really how many are built identical? That would be boring. The arms are at or past center of gravity front to rear and it only has draw backs on extreme vertical climbs, it will try to lift the front. Like I said not a deal breaker and it actually helps with other factors. Everything is a compromise, for my builds I try to keep link length to less than 40% of the wheelbase, which on a bronco is 36” maximum, and that applies front and rear, remember what goes up must come down. Nothing wrong with what is going on here just a different set of end goals and thought processes.

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Thanks for the compliments, just a humble, hard working guy sharing experiences.

Not sure that's the same calculator for what you have due to the overhead view but the numbers do look good. My only concern is the overall length of the arms. It's not a deal breaker and does help with overall drive ability in a kit that has to fit multiple vehicles with many variables, really how many are built identical? That would be boring. The arms are at or past center of gravity front to rear and it only has draw backs on extreme vertical climbs, it will try to lift the front. Like I said not a deal breaker and it actually helps with other factors. Everything is a compromise, for my builds I try to keep link length to less than 40% of the wheelbase, which on a bronco is 36” maximum, and that applies front and rear, remember what goes up must come down. Nothing wrong with what is going on here just a different set of end goals and thought processes.

Rt on. Thx yeller!

OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Took the bronco out to play in the snow last weekend. Loving the control that the coilovers w 4 link provide.

widowmaker77

Contributor
So in the finished version, will the rear floor need to be cut for the mount like in the third pic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
SavageBurro

SavageBurro

Sorry for delay - just saw this. They have an option that does not cut into the floor. I 'think' it requires a 2" body lift and slightly shorter coilover. Otherwise - yes, you will need to cut into the floor. I recommend reaching out to Jake at Toms for details and options.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey everyone... I was extremely fortunate to work with Toms this last year to test out some prototype 4 link rear suspension.

I have done a fair amount of testing on and offroad and am super impressed with it so far.

My understanding is they will have it available for sale around the first of the year, with different options for different ride heights. The mid-frame brackets connect both the lower and upper rear links... they also provide a connection for their new extended long arms if you want to run them.

On-Road: superb ride over any bronco leaf springs I've ridden on (and ive personally owned or ridden on just about every bronco leaf pack out there). i would call it plush. Does have some body roll but not horrible. My setup uses slightly softer spring rates. I tested with slightly firmer rates that do provide slightly less body roll. If I were going to do mostly road driving, a sway bar would be recommended. Toms can provide all the 4 link calculations but I can tell you the rear does not noticeably lift or squat on take off. It miiiight have just a tiiiiny but of squat on hard takeoff.

Off-road: Wow. it articulates and tracks so well over obstacles. I haven't done a lot of ledges yet but the few logs and steep inclines ive climbed up and over it has zero issues with. It seems to put just the right amount of pressure on the tires for traction with no noticeable hop. I'm running 39s w 1" body lift. Flares are not cut all the way to body line but close. With the current 10" bilstein coilovers, I have the link set up to be equivalent to a 5.5" lift using 200lb uppers and 250lb lowers. I believe they are going to offer different bracket heights to accommodate different coilover lengths... or maybe even coil buckets for standard coils?

Quality and fitment of the links and brackets: Quality is excellent / beefy. Fitment on first prototype resulted in some minor improvements that they have since integrated. They basically changed a couple bracket angles by a couple degrees and raised the lower side axle brackets to be flush with the bottom of axle tubes.

Exhaust. I have a 2 into 1 exhaust that tucks up tight, fits around my 4R70w and atlas, that comes up and over the links then out the back corner... so exhaust fitment is very do-able.

Other than going fast through some deep potholes, I have yet to try it out offroad at speed like in desert woops.

If you're looking for a quality ride and performance out of your suspension - I highly recommend you give Toms a call and look into their new 4 link!

Mike S.

Thanks for sharing Mike..