• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

New Bronco Vs. New Jeep

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
A new Expedition Platinum Max starts at $74500 with no added options and you can option a new F-350 up to over $90000.

Reminds me of the old saying about a fool and his money.....

That $75 K expedition will be worth $10k in about 8 years
Probably still comes with an engine that spits out spark plugs and eats timing chains and cam phasers

And you can't even get a manual transmission in the 150 anymore

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
JUst pulled up next to a new 4 Runner, very nice looking, and if the new bronco is more like the 4runner, I'd pick the 4runner, My niece works at Toyo in Tn.

What US cell phone maker do you buy your phone from? TV? Yeah, like I thought...:) I hope some of those come back to the US.

4 runners are legendary for their durability

Escape and edge and explorer , not so much

They will most likely slap the bronco decal on an edge or some other unibody four cylinder front wheel drive minivan

I'd bet the new bronco won't even be available with a manual transmission

Hearing a lot of stories about the carbon monoxide getting into new explorers and the brakes fading to nothing after one or two hard 80-0 stop

I still don't understand why the explorers flipped over so easy but that wasn't a big issue for any other SUV

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
These videos just make me more anxious for the BRONCO. It's just going to be so difficult to design something that doesn't look like something that already exists.

yes, espec when they have to include all the DOT safety standards in new autos

ame

I suspect the Bronco will be IFS but unless someone been sleeping under a rock they have noticed somthing called a Raptor which is also IFS and works very well. Now Im sure the lower trim levels will have no where near that level of suspension but we can hope Ford will offer a package closer in line with the Raptor then glorified minivan and be capable off road. Maybe a little smaller shock diameter aimed at low speed off road vs high speed which the smaller wheel base is not as suited for when thinking of the average driver.

I deal with solid axles every day and while they have some pros its pretty hard to deny that modern IFS has come along way and has the ability to provide fantastic on road handling with pretty damn good off road ability so the new Bronco being IFS would not be a deal breaker for me.

I hope it can at least be optioned with the 5.0 and manual trans but not holding my breath for either.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I still have hopes for the solid axle. IFS works great on the Raptor for high speed desert running which is what it was designed for. A solid axle still works better on the rocks. I'm not holding much hope for a V8 although it would be great. IF the new Bronco has everything else to make it off-road worthy AND they do make it customizable, then I am sure there will be SAS and V8 kits available in the aftermarket. You can put a new Hemi in a Wrangler; somebody will figure out how to get a Coyote in a new Bronco!

ame

I still have hopes for the solid axle. IFS works great on the Raptor for high speed desert running which is what it was designed for. A solid axle still works better on the rocks. I'm not holding much hope for a V8 although it would be great. IF the new Bronco has everything else to make it off-road worthy AND they do make it customizable, then I am sure there will be SAS and V8 kits available in the aftermarket. You can put a new Hemi in a Wrangler; somebody will figure out how to get a Coyote in a new Bronco!

If you look at some cars built for races like King of the hammers IFS is starting to appear and work decent. I agree solid axle is still best for straight rock crawling but how many people are going to use a new Bronco for that? Probably not many.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you look at some cars built for races like King of the hammers IFS is starting to appear and work decent. I agree solid axle is still best for straight rock crawling but how many people are going to use a new Bronco for that? Probably not many.

Very true. The Vaughn Gitten IFS Bronco is awesome!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru

Ford has already said the new Bronco won't compete with the new J33p on the rocks.
So there is no point to hoping for a solid front axle in the new Bronco from Ford.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Not compete on the rocks? There it is, that tells me they are going for the 4Runner market then.

BTW, as awesome as the Raptor is, no way it can go into the trails or forest service roads without losing all it's paint. And no way it can crawl over the rocks like a jeep/bronco. It is as noted a great prerunner platform, like it was designed for. Just like why you don't see any fullsize pickup on the trails other than to haul in a bronco or jeep:).

ame

Not compete on the rocks? There it is, that tells me they are going for the 4Runner market then.

BTW, as awesome as the Raptor is, no way it can go into the trails or forest service roads without losing all it's paint. And no way it can crawl over the rocks like a jeep/bronco. It is as noted a great prerunner platform, like it was designed for. Just like why you don't see any fullsize pickup on the trails other than to haul in a bronco or jeep:).

Oh my 06 2500 Mega cab has plenty of pin striping from trails, well aware of size issues. I dont see them making the Bronco full size but Ford has shown there ability to build well functioning suspension for a wide variety of terrain should they choose to do so.

ame

Very true. The Vaughn Gitten IFS Bronco is awesome!

There is some really cool stuff coming out, obviously a production vehicle wont have near as expensive IFS setups at least the R&D is out there to see just what IFS is capable of.

roundhouse

Bronco Guru
I suspect the Bronco will be IFS but unless someone been sleeping under a rock they have noticed somthing called a Raptor which is also IFS and works very well. Now Im sure the lower trim levels will have no where near that level of suspension but we can hope Ford will offer a package closer in line with the Raptor then glorified minivan and be capable off road. Maybe a little smaller shock diameter aimed at low speed off road vs high speed which the smaller wheel base is not as suited for when thinking of the average driver.

I deal with solid axles every day and while they have some pros its pretty hard to deny that modern IFS has come along way and has the ability to provide fantastic on road handling with pretty damn good off road ability so the new Bronco being IFS would not be a deal breaker for me.

I hope it can at least be optioned with the 5.0 and manual trans but not holding my breath for either.

Ha!

Ford doesn't even offer a manual Trans in their best selling vehicle
The 150

And no longer offers a V-8 in the expedition . All you can get is the turbo 6 with all its problems

ame

Ha!

Ford doesn't even offer a manual Trans in their best selling vehicle
The 150

And no longer offers a V-8 in the expedition . All you can get is the turbo 6 with all its problems

Hey were talking hopes and dreams here until anything comes out officially, then there may be a lot of disappointment to go around! But until then.......

Justafordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Does ford make a car that cost that much ?

Maybe a crew cab diesel 4 wd pickup ?

Anyway I'm sure it holds more than two people , which was the problem with the retro thunderbird

Sure they do, what about the GT it has two seats and is way more than $76k. ;D

But mine is an F350 King Ranch. ;)

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
2017 JK 2 Dr = Modern version of EB.

My money says that is as close as we'll see as a modern rendition of an EB: solid axle, removable top and doors with folding windshield vehicle. Inch for inch, pound for pound my comparison showed it was a brother from another mother.