• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need New Blank Dash Cut. How do I find someone?

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Need a new custom designed dash CNC cut for new layout. I'm not a metal guy, so how do I search for a place or person who can do this? What am I googling? Who do I ask?

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You will most likely need to provide a dimensional CAD/DXF file.
Our laser guy charges us $150 a panel (setup) regardless of size or if it has one hole or ten.
Google laser cutting in your area.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Wow. I did not know this. Do they need a cad drawing? Or just dimensional like I'm currently doing in photoshop?

Mine was hand drawn on scrap paper. I'm sure a cad drawing would work but call BCB and ask to speak with Jason for directions.

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
Most of your holes look to be round (from the other thread Custom Dash Design). Have you thought of trying to drill them yourself?
I bought an adjustable carbide tipped hole saw from ebay for mine. I think it was all of $20. Did the big holes 1st then the smaller ones. don't be in a rush or push it hard. Nice and slow and lots of cutting oil and it worked ok.

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 113
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 111

Superwoody

Loc.
Skyline
Most of your holes look to be round (from the other thread Custom Dash Design). Have you thought of trying to drill them yourself?
I bought an adjustable carbide tipped hole saw from ebay for mine. I think it was all of $20. Did the big holes 1st then the smaller ones. don't be in a rush or push it hard. Nice and slow and lots of cutting oil and it worked ok.

Cool, the boring bar loos like the way to go. Clamp it to some plywood and then to your drill press table

OP
OP
ObscureMachine

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters

Sadly, I have no drill press. Plus, I don't trust myself enough to start cutting a new blank dash.

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
This is the layout I think I am going to go with for my dash. Trying to keep it simple, but have the components I need. I am going to put the remaining A/C vent tucked under the dash on the driver side.

Attachments

• Dash Layout.jpg
    Dash Layout.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Dash Layout2.jpg
    Dash Layout2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 77

Casey4wd

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Looks like a nice layout. You may want to look at moving one of those A/C vents closer to the steering column so it reaches you.

I am planning to dump the other AC vent (vent #3) under the dash and on the drivers legs/feet. Was hopeful that would be enough.

If I move it over, I think it hurts the symmetry of the dash. For something so simple, I have been through many edits and can not seem to find a perfect solution.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the clearance for your radio. A double din goes up so high into the dash.

That is where the space gets really narrow behind the dash and your defroster ducts are there.

I would mount your AC and double check clearance's before cutting a new dash. It was hard on clearance installing old school radios back in the day and that was down at the bottom edge of the dash.