• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need a recommendation for a cam

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
A friend of mine is helping restore a 74 Baja Bronco with a C4. It needs the motor freshened and to remove the 4 bbl carb. He wants to keep it stock appearing. And he doesn't want to take away from the value of what it is.

He asked me what aftermarket Cam to buy to give it a little "Getty-up" without it having a "Lopy Idle".
We did not talk about it being a smog motor, reduced compression, EGR, etc. They have not been in the motor to see what is in there yet.
My experience is with Roller motors, so I thought I would reach out to the group for suggestions...

Doug

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Are they sure the four barrel wasn’t a Stroppe option Doug? I was pretty sure I had seen the occasional Holley four barrel on Baja Broncos back in the day.
I’m sure Andrew would know, and maybe you’ve already determined that that was not the case.
Is it an old ancient looking intake manifold though? Or something out of a newer catalog?

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
A friend of mine is helping restore a 74 Baja Bronco with a C4. It needs the motor freshened and to remove the 4 bbl carb. He wants to keep it stock appearing. And he doesn't want to take away from the value of what it is.

He asked me what aftermarket Cam to buy to give it a little "Getty-up" without it having a "Lopy Idle".
We did not talk about it being a smog motor, reduced compression, EGR, etc. They have not been in the motor to see what is in there yet.
My experience is with Roller motors, so I thought I would reach out to the group for suggestions...

Doug
You already know my answer.

Anyone that puts a flat tappet cam into a small block ford on purpose is not serious about performance or reliability. Anyone that puts a performance cam in a small block ford that is not a roller deserves to be ridiculed, and should be kicked out of the club.

Your roller motor experience is FAR more valuable than anything with a flat tappet. Ford hasn't put a flat lifter in an engine in 30 years. There is not one instance where an engine did not perform better with a roller cam. (not countng the Cummins 6BT, the exact opposite of a performance motor...and I wish mine was roller...) OK, don't count the MOPAR new Hemi's or anything that isn't pushrod or anything built with a Pentastar on it...

A nice Explorer hydraulic roller with a set of link-bar aftermarket rollers will get it done. Nice idle, all the power you need, and runs on any kind of motor oil.

But don't listen to me. Go source a "muscle car" cam from a Comp Cams cast blank, add too much lift, add too big of springs, and then try to figure out why your Bronco overheats, the EFI won't work, the vacuum signal is crap, and the lobes went flat.

The value of a Stroppe comes from the fact that it's a Stroppe. Put the original engine on a hook in the garage, and put a 5.0 roller long block in it. You can even use a carburetor. Ditch the C4. Explorer 5.0 with a stand alone 4R70W and the D20. You can get the whole thing for $1500 from a dead Mountaineer.

Done.

Last edited:

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Anyone that puts a flat tappet cam into a small block ford on purpose is an idiot. Anyone that puts a performance cam in a small block ford that is not a roller deserves to be ridiculed, and should be kicked out of the club.
This is the best way I have ever heard it put! Anyone who puts a flat tapper cam in today is cheap and about to get more broke.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Couldn't agree more. No flat tapped. While your at it, ditch those 70's smog heads. Put on some E7's minimum else you will get no benefit from a cam swap.

Tim

wsager

Hmm, to high jack a little along the same line, I have a 73 with original engine. My dad rebuilt it with a “rv” cam. The truck had about 90,000 on it at time of rebuild back in the late 70’s. It’s been on an engine stand since that time. I figured I would have to at least get some new heads and a new cam(so I knew what it was). It probably has flat tops too. So you all are saying that it makes more sense to at least pick up an explorer/mountaineer and go from there? It’s got a fiberglass tub from the same period, so there’s no argument to keeping it original. Btw, Dad planned on finishing it during retirement, but got sick and only saw retirement while sick. Oh, and he was working on engines from a young kid, so besides being an undesirable 302 from a bad year, it’s probably good to run. If the answer is buy a roller, I’ll save this thread to show the wife. :)

jamesroney

Contributor
Loc.
Fremont, CA
Hmm, to high jack a little along the same line, I have a 73 with original engine. My dad rebuilt it with a “rv” cam. The truck had about 90,000 on it at time of rebuild back in the late 70’s. It’s been on an engine stand since that time. I figured I would have to at least get some new heads and a new cam(so I knew what it was). It probably has flat tops too. So you all are saying that it makes more sense to at least pick up an explorer/mountaineer and go from there? It’s got a fiberglass tub from the same period, so there’s no argument to keeping it original. Btw, Dad planned on finishing it during retirement, but got sick and only saw retirement while sick. Oh, and he was working on engines from a young kid, so besides being an undesirable 302 from a bad year, it’s probably good to run. If the answer is buy a roller, I’ll save this thread to show the wife. :)
OK, you might be the exception. But that's only because the money is already sunk.

A 1973 Ford 302 with an RV cam with 90K on the clock is good for another 90K in stock configuration putting out 138HP. I'd find a bottle of ZDDP, and I would absolutely run it as-is.

Sometime in the next 90,000 miles, I would source a good running Explorer 5.0, or a wrecked 86-95 Mustang 5.0, or a 1994-96 (YUCK) truck Econoline/F150/Bronco that has a 1-3-7 firing order, and good compression that doesn't smoke. Shouldn't have to spend more than $700. When your 302 gets tired, I'd run the 5.0.

Go read the thread on 302/347/408 Engine and you can tell your wife that I just saved you $7,000.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A better than stock cam for a stock engine, not a performance build. Stock heads are a choke point anyway. So an old school little better than stock.
Summit Racing house ham. 204/214 .448/.471 cam. Works with stock heads. It is the same as the Edelbrock Performer cam, one step above stock. Ford Motorsports sold the cam forever as well, they might still do? The cam was super common and sold by just about everybody who would stick there name on a part. Summit racing house grind was always the most affordable.

Is it the latest and greatest? No! It is a cam that has been around forever. I've known of it since at least the mid 80's. And it was probably a decade old (or more) back then. Some zinc flat tappet cam break in additive for at least the break in, and I run half a bottle during oil changes these days.

OP
OP
904Bronco

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
In talking with Andrew Norton, who used to own the rig in Question, he recommended staying with a flat tappet cam and going to earlier cast iron heads.
My buddy who is doing the work, has reached out to the Owner to discuss the options... His preference is to also remain with Flat Tappet.
(Broncobowsher, appreciate your recommendation and have forwarded the recommendation.)

There was an interesting sidebar conversation with him (Buddy) on the value of Cars today. How many Buyers are looking for a true original vehicle or want something that is a Restomod type vehicle? Coyote and fresh paint seem to be big sellers today for someone who plans to drive it (as this Owners intends to do) Verses someone who wants everything original. Baja Broncos have value because of what they are and their limited numbers. If the Owner retains all the original pieces it can be returned to original condition. I guess we could have a whole thread on this conversation...

I appreciate all the replies and looks...