• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Need ECU location recommendation

signoff1

Doing the 5.0 swap (93 Mustang Motor) into my '68 and wondering where the best option is to remote mount the ECU inside the cab? If there is such a "best" option, because from what i can see, the choices are few. The Part 2 of this is where to best cut the oval firewall grommet hole at...again, few options.

I see several examples in pictures, but its what appears to be a through the firewall mount example that might only be an Explorer swap, not a mustang swap.

Couldn't find in a search this ECU topic. Thanks in advance

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Howdy. What are you using to mount your ECU in? is it sealed like the escape box or open like windstar or explorer?

FWIW, i did the explorer swap and mounted right in the upper middle of the firewall with enough room for the rubberish faceplate which is a typical solution when using the escape box. non sealed tend go inside the cab near pass. footwell area.

Hank

Sporto

I located the plastic bracket that the Mustangs had to mount these, and I used it to secure the box to the passenger side kick panel. It allows access should I need it, and provides a direct path for the wires that pass through the firewall near the back of the engine. I looked at mounting it in my engine compartment and thought the better of it. I also looked at the gap behind the glove box wedged between the upper cowl and the heater, but didn't like that I could not mount it securely. I decided on the kick panel, it actually looks okay to me, but others may not like looking at it all the time.

Good luck,

Rich

BUCKWILD

Loc.
Butte county
I mounted mine right above the hole for the heater cable on the bottom of the cowl and ran the wires over to the side under the heater inlet box (pass side, folow the large gray wire loom)

Attachments

• IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 92

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Above the glovebox for me out of the way and doesn’t take up needed space

meanjean73

Loc.
Oregon
I was able to fit mine above the heater box behind the glovebox. Just to the right of the defroster ducts.

OP
OP
S

signoff1

All good feedback. I'll explore these over the next few days.
My hope was that i could find a home for it without extending the wires of course.
Didn't really think that far ahead to realize that its a bigger challenge than thought, then again, just about everything on this so far has been a bigger challenge. If i had put a carb on this I might be driving it by now ;). Upgraded fuel system, press reg, pump, stainless, AN connectors, SS line, and now this ECU location issue...wow, hope its worth the effort.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
x2 what meanjean said... above the heater . Out of the way, no water access unless you are up to the top of the doors :)