• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

FYI- Mass Air ECU's available. Need an A9L...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Talking to tech at Summit today and were discussing '89-93 Fox body computers and Tech said they now carry new, equivalent computers made by Megasquirt that plug into the Foxbody harness and will support about amything!!

Summit carries the line and has them.

# DIYS0010

Nice to hear if you need one you are covered...they aren't cheap but nice to know that the Ford ECU for Mass Air systems will supported for a long time!!

BanditBronco

I wouldn't get too excited... the plug and play is still a megasquirt computer inside of a stock computer case. You can get them to run with a MAF but they are not designed to. They are still a speed density based engine management system that will need to be tuned using Tuner Studio. If someone is looking to buy a computer and start up their stock engine without any tuning or computer work this isn't the computer for them. My first start up on my 351w build was using the MSPNP. After some distributor fidgeting it would crack off super well, run for 10 seconds and die. After working with the guys on stangnet.com for a few weeks with minimal improvement I decided to move back to a MAF based system and stock computer with a piggy back. Luckily I still have one tuner available in my area that can tune OBDI Fords and does it well. I ended up having a bad TFI module that wouldn't advance timing which I could not diagnose myself without being able to even set base timing with the PNP which is the first thing that you have to do. I know there are plenty of people running megasquirt stuff with very happy outcomes, we even have a couple in this community. All I am saying is there is a learning curve. You cant pop it in Wednesday after dinner and drive it to work on Thursday. For extremely built engines or boosted applications this is slowly becoming the only option for OBDI Ford stuff.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Good to know...

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Yes - MegaSquirt is more like plug and play..play for a few weekends. I was shocked when mine started up when I was doing a spark test. But it takes some patience to tune. Cool part is you can change the tune whenever you want. For example I went from 2 into 1 exhaust to true duals. The idle was hunting in gear - two minutes in the tune all fixed. No chance I would use a 20+ year old computer and a MAF.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Think those are expensive?? I'll bet 90% of the guys buying bolt on throttle body sy3have zero idea how much a new computer costs...

I called Holley and Edelbrock before I decided to go Mustang Mass Air...both were over $1100 3 years ago...you can bet they aren't less now!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I bet all the different MAF tables are documented as well. So you can pick a MAF you like, copy the transfer table, and it will run right. What were the tuner chips for the EEC-IV computers running? You just saved that price.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just talked with Garry about these and he said they aren't plug and play... oh well, maybe I shouldn't have posted up so quick but it SOUNDED so good!! :)

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I feel like one of those guys, as the Mustang computers were going away, I started aggressivaly looking on craigslist and junkyard for them, then I sent them out to be rebuilt.
I think I have 4 on the shelf now (I also have them in 3 of my cars).
I'm sure I am part of the reason if other starting putting these on the shelf as well.