• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Long time, first time: My 74 Build Thread

amfw

Well as the title says, after 14 years on this forum and on my second Bronco I have decided to start my first build thread. I have long been a fan of this forum for both the recorded knowledge and community access it provides and the more time I spend here, the more a build thread seems to make sense as both a way for me to keep a record of my progress, to share any problems and solutions that arise and to serve as an expanded “signature” with more detailed info about me, my truck and our history/experience.
So with that I will start with myself. I didn't grow up around people that worked on cars. It wasn’t a thing that my father was into, and while I liked cars and trucks as a kid it was never something that I was super into. But in 2000, I ended up with a used 1987 Jeep wrangler. It was the first car that I ever had that felt “cool”. I loved riding with the top off and found myself looking back at it when I walked away from it (a feeling every Bronco owner knows). I had a friend named Andrew (who ended up totaling this jeep haha) who helped me install a custom stereo in it and thats when I started getting into customizing cars/stereos.
One day I parked my ‘87 Wrangler next to an ‘86 CJ7. When I looked in that CJ and saw the flat metal dash with the big old gauge cluster and all the knobs that pull like the old cigarette machines, I was SUPER interested. I waited around to talk with the owner and when I found out that our vehicles were only one year apart I was wondering what the hell wen ton over at jeep that made them throw all that plastic crap in between 1986 and 1987. That was the day I became obsessed with Jeep CJs and a few years later in 2005 I got my first 70s 4x4, a 1979 Jeep CJ7.
As we all know, owning a vintage car means that like it or not YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO WORK ON IT. So this Jeep is the car that I started to get some more experience on, in working on it, researching finding parts, and building a tool and skill set. Somewhere in here, I saw Bill Murray driving a blue Bronco in he first Charlies Angels, and from then on, I knew the Jeep just wasnt gonna cut it. I started my search for a classic Bronco and in 2008, I bought Betsy, a red and cream ‘76 that I paid 5k for and drove for a year before needing to do anything.
Unfortunately, Betsy wasn't long for this world, and in 2012 it was absolutely destroyed by a drunk driver while parked near my house. It would be 9 years before I was able to replace her. In that 9 years though, I kept at my DIY hobbies, working on my ‘98 Cherokee and doing a ton of work and a buildout on a ‘88 E250 4x4 Econoline Camper Van.
As of today, I generally TRY and tackle anything that comes up on my own, and resort to calling in friends or forum members for help when I need it. I had a 4wd shop about 50 miles away that I used to use for stuff that was beyond my capability, but they have closed as of this year, so I think even more will be in my court. I have mostly basic tools, and some more specialty stuff. I don't have a garage, but I do work in a portable garage that is set up in my driveway. I do not currently weld, though I am hoping to learn this year.
OK that is quite enough about me, now about the Bronco!!! In the 9 years between Broncos I never stopped hankering for another one. By early 2021 I had finally got myself in a position to replace my ‘76 and started a search in earnest. I was looking pretty much anywhere in the US since, while expensive everywhere, they are expensive and RUSTY in the northeast where I live, so I kind of ruled out getting one locally. When I saw this hot ginger 74 in Louisiana, I got that feeling you get when you know you’ve just found the truck you’ve been looking for. The seller and I reached a deal pretty easily, and the truck shipped up here SO fast. Like I ordered parts from Wildhorses the day I closed on the truck and the truck got here (Boston) before the parts!
1653489098675.png
So I will tell you all what I know about the truck. Its a ‘74, spent its whole life in Louisiana until purchased by me in 2021. I think it was flooded at some point just based on the amount of caked up mud I find in weird places. Its got the 302 in there, carbed. It’s got the 3 speed moved to the floor. T- case is the Dana 20 J shift (with the duff lever) Not sure about axles/gearing yet. I have power steering and four wheel disc brakes (blazer up front, 79-85 Eldorado in the rear). Aux fuel tank has been deleted. There is a suspension lift installed (unsure of brand/height) as well as (I think) a 1 inch body lift.
When I got it it would start and move but was not actually driveable. There was so much mud caked in the 3 speed floor unit that it couldn’t move side to side so only options were reverse and first. The factory J shift lever was absolutely trashed as well so it was in 4wd. Also the seat tracks were rusted/frozen so the drivers seat was so far from the clutch it was comical to engage. FIrst thing I did was to free up the seats and repair the 3 speed floor unit. After that it was actually VERY nice to drive!
Goals for the truck are pretty mild. I would like a nice driver to enjoy reliably with some added modern convenience and adherence to the spirit of the vintage design, but not a strict restoration.

Over the last year and change here is the list of repairs/upgrades I have done

REPAIRS

New Seat belts
New seat brackets
Clean and paint roll bar
Chevy mirrors - I run no doors, and the PO had factory mirrors mounted on the fender in a useless location. These mirrors mount in the same spot but are visible
1653488879855.png
Restored factory horn wiring from dash mounted horn
Replaced aftermarket bumpers with stock chrome
Replaced reverse light switch
Fixed 3 speed floor unit
refurbed dash
-new paint, knobs and refurb gauge cluster

Fixed water temp sensor
Replaced Pads/Rotors on front discs
Cleaned and painted steering column, brake/e-brake/accelerator levers

UPGRADES

Dual electric wipers with synchro switch
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...tors-links-pics-write-up.313714/#post-3413202

Factory radio faceplate with bluetooth https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/stock-faceplate-bluetooth-upgrade.315236/#post-3433835

65 thunderbird console
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/ford-thunderbird-console-swap-build.313836/
1653489193448.png

Roadster panel speaker install
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/t...ation-in-roadster-panels.308951/#post-3364028

Relay wiring and H4 lamps/enclosures
Bronco script roadster treads
1653488985166.png

Rampage soft top
Replaced factory rear gate linkage with the cable kit from WH

CURRENT ISSUES

Thermostat housing leaks
Unknown oil leak
Core support bracket is rusted through
No E BRAKE/ Need new calipers for rear.

ALL RIGHT So thats me, my Bronco and the start of my build thread. Please always feel free to offer advice or ask questions either here or via PM. I will probably continue to start threads for specific issues but will also link those threads here.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
looks and sounds like a fun driver:)

I too avoided a build thread for a long time, mostly due to the differentness of my build. I eventually caved to the requests. I'm glad I did, I find myself referencing it from time to time as my memory gets fuzzy LOL

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Happy to report I've been doing more driving than wrenching! I got the rear brakes/E Brake squared away about a month ago, and finally got around to getting an inspection sticker. If you've ever tried to get one in MA on an old truck, you know what a PITA it can be. I spent a lot of time making sure everything was good to go, and we passed!

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I've been messing around with some small 3d printed brackets and clips to make a "silencer kit" for my soft top hardware. All the clanking around really gets annoying quickly. My first version used some clips that were combo spacers/clips (I copied the design from the clips that came with my hiking poles) but they seemed to stretch too much and I wasnt fully pleased. Now im on V2.0 and the bracket has a pass through for a cinch strap and a more affirmative snap fit. I ditched the clip design for the spacers and went with just a spacer that takes a strap. it all feels much tighter now. Looking forward to putting the new design stuff on tomorrow and taking it for a ride.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Happy to report I've been doing more driving than wrenching! I got the rear brakes/E Brake squared away about a month ago, and finally got around to getting an inspection sticker. If you've ever tried to get one in MA on an old truck, you know what a PITA it can be. I spent a lot of time making sure everything was good to go, and we passed!

Well that's always a plus :)

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

I've been lazy about posting on this, but also haven't done too much to it over the fall and the winter. I DID fix that thermostat housing leak mentioned above, but still haven't tackled the rusted core support bracket, and it's still leaky :)
Most of my winter was spent developing the RestoModern Radio which actually got installed in a couple other Broncos before mine. Mine went in a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it. I was happy with the mod, but this is definitely a lot cleaner and fully fleshed out.
The soft top bow silencer clips I was working on also were brought to completion and have been working just as expected.
I'm anxious to tear into anything while the truck is running so well and the weather is so nice, but also really don't want to let some of this stuff slip into another year.
I think next issue to tackle is my power steering leak/low speed steering belt squeal. Not sure if I need to do a full upgrade or just replace the stock pump and check the steering box for leaks...

blade

Contributor
Maker of sharp things
Loc.
Santa Fe
Just read through your console build, great work! Really nice bronco!

OP
OP
amfw

amfw

Just read through your console build, great work! Really nice bronco!
Thanks! I'm very proud of how that came out, especially given how many unknowns there were heading into it. Its something I would have wanted to do with my first Bronco but wouldn't have had the skill to implement well. But that's the cool thing about skills, the more you use and test them, the stronger they get until one day you surprise yourself.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've been lazy about posting on this, but also haven't done too much to it over the fall and the winter. I DID fix that thermostat housing leak mentioned above, but still haven't tackled the rusted core support bracket, and it's still leaky :)
Most of my winter was spent developing the RestoModern Radio which actually got installed in a couple other Broncos before mine. Mine went in a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it. I was happy with the mod, but this is definitely a lot cleaner and fully fleshed out.
The soft top bow silencer clips I was working on also were brought to completion and have been working just as expected.
I'm anxious to tear into anything while the truck is running so well and the weather is so nice, but also really don't want to let some of this stuff slip into another year.
I think next issue to tackle is my power steering leak/low speed steering belt squeal. Not sure if I need to do a full upgrade or just replace the stock pump and check the steering box for leaks...

all you can do is one thing at a time right..

bulletpruf

Contributor
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Nice Bronco! We have similar backgrounds; I had an '85 CJ7 and then a '79 CJ7 as my daily driver in college (LSU - mid to late 1980's) but now on my 4th or 5th early Bronco.