• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance. Bitches, Moans, and Complaints

McLeod

As far as using it as a daily driver and going with the standard full coverage for it (actual cash value type policy), one would only need to look at the published values for these Broncos.

Most of the Broncos I see running on the street are somewhere between a 3 and a 4. Most people probably over insure or think theirs is worth more than it is.

These values might be a little lower than you have on an agreed value policy, but not terribly low either.

There is plenty of resources to make your argument about your value even with an Actual Cash Value type policy.
It is just the premium charged that will be more.
I guess that is the price you pay to be able to daily drive it.

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1968-ford-bronco

1968 Ford Bronco- V-8

#1 - concours = $55,200

Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 -Excellent = $33,200

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 - Good- $20,500

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 - Fair - $8,700

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

These numbers don't seem all that unreasonable to me.
But for a DD your premium will probably double and probably be comparable to what a newer vehicle costs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Spartan76

Spartan76

Maybe your state is different but what I see is that you have two licensed drivers and two cars. From that then each of you is assigned to one car as the primary driver. Can you not buy an old beater for $500 and put just liability insurance on it and call that your daily driver then insure your bronco through Grundy or haggerty at an agreed value? That’s basically what I do although I have 4 drivers 2 Broncos and 7 cars in my household. I pay a total of about $500 per year to insure my broncos thru haggerty and I drive them every chance I get. Although I don’t take them off road I will try to re read my policy since I don’t remember seeing those restrictions

Getting a third vehicle is most likely the answer for me. The insurance market, like most other things now, are so complicated and convoluted. I sure hope Ford doesn't screw up the new Bronco, I'm anticipating that being my next vehicle. But the new Bronco is a whole other hornet's nest to stir up...

McLeod

Dilemma: You all know what's coming, insurance company will only insure the sold as new in 1976 value of the Bronco.

I simply want to insure the Bronco against total loss for what it's worth. Hell, even a policy that will pay me what I paid for it. Because its a daily driver and the second vehicle of a house with two licensed drivers, no go.

What does the "sold as new in 1976 value of the Bronco" mean?
If this is a regular DD type insurance policy paying actual cash value, and you are probably close to the values I posted a few posts up I can't imagine there being a problem other than the higher premium for a DD.

Don't get caught committing fraud on the insurance application. It's a violation of federal law to knowingly misrepresent your info to an insurance company.
Many insurance companies do perform mileage checks to make sure the claimed usage is accurate.
Good luck!