• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Insurance. Bitches, Moans, and Complaints

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Crush, I am not saying your wrong, I'm saying according to Hagerty direct, not a rep that sells Hagerty, but the Company itself makes it very clear that they will NOT insure you even if you're on a gravel USFS road, beach, much less the Rubicon.

X2 what Todd Z was saying as we were comparing notes back then on this subject also and yes, I chatted with Izzy a few times also...did waaay too much research...

I was told by Hagerty that a sales agent can say anything they want (or you want to hear) but the policy itself is what claims are based on...in other words the 2 different guys I talked to at Hagerty direct a little over one year ago were very clear in saying I would NOT be covered no matter what the agent promised me because Hagerty doesn't insure vehicles in those situations. I told them I wanted to take it camping on USFS roads, the beach, and drive it several times/week. Many restrictions with Hagerty...stored inside a LOCKED building, not a DD, no off road, etc, etc...

Just typing this out so hopefully someone doesn't get burned...

Check with Hagerty direct and read the policy...don't go by what the agent says. I ended up paying to get mine appraised so I could be covered as I needed an agreed upon value.

Hope this helps...

Brian

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Same issue with Haggerty which I am going with and did use on two other broncos. Same response when queried: no work, no daily, no camp, no trips, no leaving it out, and BTW show us a photo of the garage it's in. Yep, wanted a photo, so I gave them one.

My take, I'm only worried if someone hauls it away from the garage while I'm gone, the house burns down with it in the garage, it's road raged or stolen from a coffee shop lot, or on the road to from someplace which was not a "destination".

I always figured if I balled it up in the rocks i'm not making a claim and just biting the bullet and fixing it. Think about it, your going to get T-boned or rear ended or slide off the pavement in serious rain. Not roll down a hill, at least not me cause my nerves of steel have toned down to nerves of foam.

Are they going to "know" it was rock crawled last week prior to it being snatched from your garage? No.

Any insurance which covers claims on rock scrapes like on a new car will quickly result in them cancelling your insurance next period or seriously raising your rate.

BTW USAA laughed when I asked about market value not stated value, all they pay is new bronco price from 1973, in my case. Don't know where someone gets the market value coverage from USAA, they don't have it to my understanding.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
Anyone in AZ need coverage let me know! Ive been in the insurance industry for 14 years and have access to several types of policies depending on what you need!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Words from an insurance salesperson isn't good enough. Get it in writing that they are ok with your intentions.
A friend of mine had his car covered by them and his car was damaged at a show event. Sure they covered it, but they required evidence that the damage happened at the show. They will interrogate you.

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyone in AZ need coverage let me know! Ive been in the insurance industry for 14 years and have access to several types of policies depending on what you need!

I'll PM you. Hagerty wanted $1400 for a construction policy, which strangely included liability limits that my DD has. I asked why I needed liability for construction coverage (coverage while you're building it and it's undrivable). He couldn't answer and suggested I just get collision which only came with book value of a 40 year old truck. idiot.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I'll PM you. Hagerty wanted $1400 for a construction policy, which strangely included liability limits that my DD has. I asked why I needed liability for construction coverage (coverage while you're building it and it's undrivable). He couldn't answer and suggested I just get collision which only came with book value of a 40 year old truck. idiot.
Hagerty will do storage only/theft coverage as long as you have a daily driver insured and the Bronco isn't registered

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Crush, I am not saying your wrong, I'm saying according to Hagerty direct, not a rep that sells Hagerty, but the Company itself makes it very clear that they will NOT insure you even if you're on a gravel USFS road, beach, much less the Rubicon.

The rules vary depending on your reason for the travel. You can be off-road at an event and be covered but, if you go to the same place for no reason you are not covered.

I’ve called Hagerty at least a dozen times. Here’s a summary.

They told me that gravel, dirt roads, etc. are fine for occasional travel and if attending a vehicle hobby related event. Basically no different than pavement.

I asked if I could take a drive on a dirt road to visit friends. They said it was fine and no different than pavement. Same rules apply and common sense should prevail.

They also stated that the Bronco is covered when parked outside if I am attending a hobby related event or traveling to/from an event. They confirmed I am covered if I stay at a KOA on a gravel road while attending a Bronco event.

I asked them if I can drive on a gravel road and do some overnight camping, the answer was “no”. That’s because the Bronco will be outside overnight due to travel not associated with a hobby related event. It has nothing to do with the type of road.

I asked about taking a casual drive to the mountains and spending the night at a hotel. The Bronco is not covered if stolen overnight. If I wreck it on the way there it is....

So, you can see the pattern here. Event related activities are covered. Travel to/from events is covered. Casual usage is covered but you start to stretch “casual usage” when you stay overnight.

That doesn’t mean that we are not getting different answers, even from Hagerty. It just means you can’t trust an agent to tell you what you can/can’t do.

McLeod

It seems many of you refer to your insurance as "stated value/agreed value" and/or use the terms interchangeably.

They are not the same types of insurance.
There is a difference between the two.
Make sure you know what you are buying!!!

Try American Nation Property and Casualty (ANPAC). They have agreed value program called Chrome for classic vehicles. Similar restrictions.
Through these guys my '66 was insured for 16.5k w/ 1k deductible.
250/500k medical
300k prop damage
towing (up to 4x/ year)
was able to drive to work etc as long as it wasn't my regular commuter
no timed or completion events
Must be in garage at night
my premium was based on <7000 mi yr

$82 for 6 months

But jalopies or projects need not apply. Vehicle must be restored or in very good condition to get this with these guys.
The valuation they insured me at was the maximum they would go without a profession appraisal being done.

I totally get and partially agree with NothingSpecial @ #6 on liability only. Self insuring and not wasting big dollars if you can afford to cover the loss yourself.

I figure that there is a much higher chance of someone else damaging my vehicle than me. If they are insured their ins. co is on hook to make you whole which would be current valuation by industry rating companies- ie: NADA, Blue Book & other proprietary valuation companies.
You would be screwed in a garage fire, theft etc though and under/ non insured drivers would need to be dragged to court on your dime too.
Life is one big risk

Last edited:

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Sorry i had to quote the whole post but ...

What if you happen to buy a "new" old car or Bronco...you're hauling it home or you have had it for a week and it catches on fire...can't sue anybody for hitting you and you're out $15-40,000??? that's a lot of years of premium payments?

I now pay under $300/yr for $30,000 coverage. In 10 years I've paid out $3,000 dollars and don't have to worry quite so much about getting t-boned by an uninsured motorist or causing a total of my vehicle with it being my fault... a LOT of piece of mind for $3K for 10 years!!

Just my take, glad your's works for you too.

My agent that insurance through couldnt insure my bronco with them, so she also sells Hagerty and a few others. I told her to shop it around and I wanted to drive it ant way I wanted to for as many miles as I want to. She understood that I wanted to go camping, drive forest roads, use on trails and with unlimited miles. She was able to get me a full coverage policy with my requirements from hagerty for the same $300 a year nvrstuk. I also required a $30,000 stated/agreed value policy. made sure she understood that I didn't want to be depreciated if something happened where it was a total loss/stolen and not get my $30,000. Also told her about the broncos increasing values and how I had under insured it at that amount. she was able to get me what I wanted from Hagerty. the only thing they wont cover is if Im Rock crawling or some other extreme 4x4 activity and I roll it or try to claim damage from rocks and trees. It prolly helped that when I did this Hagert had just published an article about the Bronco being a sound investment and up and coming vehicle

so get with your current agent and see what they can do with other companies.

Wow, I think those are good buys! I thought I was doing good with them at $490 per year

Tugross302

I just read my haggerty policy and nowhere in the policy did it say I couldn’t drive on dirt or gravel. It says “our custom designed policy doesn’t restrict usage to just parades and car shows; we encourage you to drive your classic just for the fun of it. “. It also says “ you must own a regular use vehicle which must be insured by a separate insurance policy. In no event will this policy serve as your only auto coverage “. They also never asked for proof of a garage. They just wanted pictures of all four sides of my bronco and I chose the value. They accepted it immediately. I went through my insurance agent that I have everything else insured by

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
It seems many of you refer to your insurance as "stated value/agreed value" and/or use the terms interchangeably.

They are not the same types of insurance.
There is a difference between the two.

This can't be stated (no pun intended) enough! Most people use the terms interchangeably as you note and they are two very different coverages. Always look for 'agreed value' coverage.

Todd Z.

Nothing Special

....What if you happen to buy a "new" old car or Bronco...you're hauling it home or you have had it for a week and it catches on fire...can't sue anybody for hitting you and you're out $15-40,000??? that's a lot of years of premium payments?

I'm not saying that you will always come out ahead paying for damages rather than premiums. Clearly in that situation you'd be better off with insurance. But odds are that won't happen. And clearly what I'm talking about is playing the odds. ON AVERAGE insurance companies come out ahead on insurance policies so ON AVERAGE consumers lose. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy insurance, it's just food for thought.

I now pay under $300/yr for $30,000 coverage. In 10 years I've paid out $3,000 dollars and don't have to worry quite so much about getting t-boned by an uninsured motorist or causing a total of my vehicle with it being my fault... a LOT of piece of mind for $3K for 10 years!!

As other's have noted, that sort of sounds too good to be true. If the coverage is really as good as you were told, then great.

And I echo how you ended your post...

Just my take, glad your's works for you too.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I was quoting the Hagerty phone call I made and an Internet reply when I was quoted:

Haggerty question-Event with your Club off road. Answer, not covered at all...

Haggerty Q- camping with Club anywhere off a paved road- not covered at all...

Haggerty Q- so if I"m at a club event accessed off a paved road, sit with my car the whole time I'm covered? Answer yes

Haggerty Q- If I drive into town and go pick up parts at a box store am I covered... Answer- yes...but neither guy I talked to were happy about it

The differences in these answers (from my experience and the answers in the post above) from Haggerty themselves makes it impossible to guarantee coverage...you have GOT TO SEE IT IN WRITING to know if you're covered... remember that an AGENT can say and promise anything they want and you won't be covered if the written policy states differently...

I'm not an agent, but learned alot when shopping off and on for over a year.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
I just read my haggerty policy and nowhere in the policy did it say I couldn’t drive on dirt or gravel. It says “our custom designed policy doesn’t restrict usage to just parades and car shows; we encourage you to drive your classic just for the fun of it. “. It also says “ you must own a regular use vehicle which must be insured by a separate insurance policy. In no event will this policy serve as your only auto coverage “. They also never asked for proof of a garage. They just wanted pictures of all four sides of my bronco and I chose the value. They accepted it immediately. I went through my insurance agent that I have everything else insured by

THIS IS WHAT MY POLICY SAYS TOO!!!! when my agent that i have used for 20 years was talking to her contact at hagerty o the phone. their response to all her questions were if i had other vehicles covered through her that they would insure for whatever i wanted to use it for and for an amount that was legitimate to the vehicle. in other words they would not insure a $500 junker for 30k

when you call hagerty direct or do an online quote you get a telemarketer most of the time that has a script in front of them to read and knows nothing about what they will or will not insure

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I went through this and settled with Grundy. I am covered when traveling and overnight out of towntays. I made certain of that as I plan to drive it to events and have. Being in the garage they are betting the odds that most of its time will be in a safe place, that's why the policy is not outrageous but you have agreed value. Mine is covered for 60k and it runs me 400 a year. Had to show pics, receipts etc. they accepted my spreadsheet of purchased parts over the years. Only things I cannot be covered for are off road and daily driving however I have no limitations on miles.

Bronco Maniac

I talked with Grundy and they started telling me the restrictions. I could go out in the Bronco and get ice cream, but not go to the grocery store. I asked, what if the ice cream shop was next to the grocery store? The reply was no. So I kept shopping. I have Safeco for $50K.

Some have mileage limitations, but I have never heard of them asking about odometer readings every year.

Slowleak

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Georgia
Haggerty question-Event with your Club off road. Answer, not covered at all...

Ask them to define “off-Road”and you can have some fun on the phone.

I had a long debate with them. “Off-road” could be interpreted to include parking in an event field, like at Super Celebration.

Traveling off-road in order to get to an “event” seems to be accepted but if traveling off-road is the “event” it’s completely different.

As always, they said it is up to the adjuster to determine if usage was appropriate.

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I talked with Grundy and they started telling me the restrictions. I could go out in the Bronco and get ice cream, but not go to the grocery store. I asked, what if the ice cream shop was next to the grocery store? The reply was no. So I kept shopping. I have Safeco for $50K.

Some have mileage limitations, but I have never heard of them asking about odometer readings every year.

I asked them the same thing and got a different answer. The policy reads no grocery shopping etc. and anything resulting in what can be classified as daily driving use and chores. I also specifically asked the underwriter to clarify because when we go to Townsend we have to go to the store etc. and since it is our only means of transportation for the event it is deemed acceptable. I even asked about date nights etc. and they said all acceptable, I said even if one of the frequent restaurants is in the way mart plaza and they said they have to accept that. I also asked them about the Windrock event and I was covered to and from it and as long as the vehicle was a static display it was covered during the event. If any damage were to happen to it that would not have happened at a static display they would not cover that but you just have to read the policy and they will provide you an outline so you can better make your decision. I find that most reps we talk to have no clue outside of the norm and we operate on the outer fringe of that with this type of vehicle. You will be extremely hard pressed to get one to accommodate a daily driver status on agreed value, the odds are simply not in their favor and if they do accept that kind of coverage, your policy will cost a small fortune to say the least.