• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Incredible Flying Bronco !!!

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I tend to come up with new and unusual ways to work on my bronco and I thought I would show you my latest and greatest fun way to work underneath mine without crawling around on the floor or fighting a creeper .

Attachments

• flying bronco 001.jpg
    flying bronco 001.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 410
  • flying bronco 002.jpg
    flying bronco 002.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 323

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Full droop. Good balance point too. can you spin it?

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Uhh, hate to say it, but I sure wouldn't feel comfortable working under that vehicle. No positive safety and since you can't turn gravity off......

Cool pic though! You should PS the straps out and tell people you filled the tires with Helium....

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Full droop. Good balance point too. can you spin it?

It will spin and that is where it really becomes a problem because the bronco keeps moving away from me . That is definitely at full droop ;D

I know it really doesn't fit the "Safest Place On Earth " category and I am very cautious when looking under it . But that is about the extent of it . It is a 30 ton overhead crane (inspected annually) and the strap is rated for 10 tons (inspected before each use). My bronco tips the scales at 3000 lbs.

I like the photo shop ideas !! That's why I lifted it up there to take the pictures ;)

howiebilt

PotterFX4

Loc.
Parma, OH
Uhh, hate to say it, but I sure wouldn't feel comfortable working under that vehicle. No positive safety and since you can't turn gravity off......QUOTE]

I agree, at least put some pipe stands under the axles just in case...

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Uhh, hate to say it, but I sure wouldn't feel comfortable working under that vehicle. No positive safety and since you can't turn gravity off......QUOTE]

I agree, at least put some pipe stands under the axles just in case...

Just so everyone understands ... I don't lift it that high to work on it . I lift it that high to move it from one end of the building (over other objects) to the other end so that I can lower it and work on it . I recently replaced the rear axle seals and did this with the crane by just lifting the rear of the bronco slightly off the ground . When I went to put the tires back on , I had problems with the whole rear of the vehicle moving . I know the consequences of gravity and falling objects and I don't work underneath the bronco while it's hanging . I want to thank you guys for pointing out the flaws in my work station but I'm not looking to be the poster child for stupid accidents ;D ;D ;D I'm only half as dumb as I look ;)

howiebilt

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Cool pics...certainly makes loading it on the flatbed nice and easy. Ceiling cranes are nice when you've got a lot going on in one bay...I sure do miss the ones where I used to work at times.

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to work somewhere that had a 30 ton overhead crane for working on heavy equipment. I've been under much heavier loads and felt safe - wouldn't make a habit of it but don't see the harm here - 30 ton crane with 10 ton strap and 1.5 ton bronco. Heck we used to hook a strap to the rear hitch and front tow straps - lift a work truck up to change the oil etc. Very convenient to have around to say the least.

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
I was def. not trying to find fault. I figured that things were generally safe and I'm glad you thought about that kind of thing already. For me it's just a bit of the old "every gun is loaded" mentality (I used to be a rifle instructor too).

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
LOL I can picture you chasing the bronco around in circles to try and keep up with what you are working on;D we have 6 30 ton cranes here at work. we were goofing off one night and hooked up a strap in a cradle and i set in it then my buddy lifted me up about 15' then the butt head went to break?:? ;D

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
I was def. not trying to find fault. I figured that things were generally safe and I'm glad you thought about that kind of thing already. For me it's just a bit of the old "every gun is loaded" mentality (I used to be a rifle instructor too).

I took no offense to your statement . I'm pretty safety concious , sometimes ;D

I'm more interested in the rifle instructor part ... where at , what for ...do tell ! I was once on the Governor's rifle team . One of the top marksmen in the state but missed out on the nationals match .

OP
OP
howiebilt

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
Nice tool boxes!!

It's nice to be able to work on my own stuff when I get off from work .
Tool boxes full of tools , CNC and manual equipment , water jet , welders and whatever else I might need ;)

I guess I should consider it as some of the perks to my job :cool:

howiebilt