• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Traveling to Moab June 4th through 11th. Not taking the Bronco but flying out to check out the area

bluemule

Headed to Moab June 4th to check out the area. Plan is to rent a side by side and ride a trail or two. Any suggestions on points to look at. Next year I want to take the Bronco out but it’s not ready for this trip.

OP
OP
bluemule

bluemule

What is your definition of checking out the area???

Do you have any special interests that you would like to see if available.
I have never been. I have watched and read a lot about it but just timing wasn’t right I guess. I’m getting older and pushing this up higher on my priorities list. My wife, son and daughter are going to be there to. I bought my 76 in 1983 and the kids grew up riding around in it. I still have it but she is a long way from getting on the road much less a trail. When my son turned 16 he wanted a Bronco. We found one local and he poured a lot of work into it and helped where I could. I think I am rambling here a little bit gnpenning.
Looking for points of interest, camping and what I need for gear. What does the sand feel like.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
The sand is fine, it blows and drifts easily. The rock is like sand paper. Part of the trick driving is to not go fast but keep vehicle motion on the ledges and steep climbs. It’s amazing what you can just drive up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The other year a co-worker went through and spent a day. Found a Jeep was a better deal than a side by side. Cost less, full road legal including highways. Rubicon with a few upgrades.

gnpenning

Contributor
Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Take a trip to the needles district. Stop at newspaper rock on your way by. Go to the confluence. This is where the green and Colorado rivers meet. Been awhile but there used to be camping spots along the way. Elephant hill is at the beginning, not particularly hard just some tight switchbacks that requires you to back up into spots depending on what you are driving.

Not overly popular with most of the people that go to Moab, go up into the manti LaSalle mountains and do the loop road. It has some spur roads that go back to old mines. Might want to have a saw for downed trees. Camping along the way.

Some want to drop down to 4 corners just so they can be in 4 states at once. Nothing else really beautiful there but in the direction of the needles district.

On your way to poison spider there are dinosaurs tracks with tubes to look through. If you go for a walk you might be able to find some petroglyphs in the same area. Used to be a corn maize stash a short hike off the road further up the main road.

Not sure what route you planned to take for getting there, Utah has many things on the way if you are interested. Hit the national parks. Used to be a back way into arches. Watch for desert bighorn sheep.

If you are rock hounds there's geode sites north of Moab as well.

Hard to give much more without knowing the types of things your family members like.