• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Incredible Tire Deal

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Just like the title says. This can be for your bronco, or like I am doing, for my hauler trailer. Buy a set for DD truck if you have 17" rims. I have 6 sorta mixed and matched Heep rims and tires on my hauler trailer. The rims are perfect for this application because they are the same 5x5 lug pattern, there are tons of them for sale on CL, and they typically have very good quality Goodyear Wrangler tires on them. Well I knew I would need a good set of tires before I even thought about driving to Super Celebration 2016, let alone any distance driving before then. So I have been on the look out for a good set. I saw an ad on CL a few days ago. It showed 3 different styles of Heep rims and tires. The prices seemed incredible, so I figured they were junk. There was no phone number, but there was an address. The address was for the local Heep Dealership. I drove over to the dealership, and was directed to the sales manager. He jumped in my truck with me, and we drove to the back of the dealership to a big warehouse. He unlocked the big roll up door, and there were maybe 30 sets of 5, of brand new take off tires and rims. He said they pull off maybe 4 sets a week to put larger custom rims and tires on. The rims are 17x7.5 aluminum rims. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Raised White Letter, 255/75/R17. They are brand new. Maybe 3 miles on them. I bought 6 of them for $250. You might want to check your local Heep Dealership for the same deal. If not, drive to Baton Rouge and buy some of these. I wanted the Sahara Rims, which he had 10 sets of those, but a guy came in 2 days ago and bought all 50 tires and rims. They were selling those for $350 for a set of 5.

Attachments

• Jeep Tires.jpg
    Jeep Tires.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 311

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I won't put "P" rated tires on my trailer, good deal for any other light duty use though. Guy I know here locally has around 50-60 of those laying around.

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
I won't put "P" rated tires on my trailer, good deal for any other light duty use though. Guy I know here locally has around 50-60 of those laying around.
Aren't the Goodyear Wranglers most of those factory Jeep wheels come with LT tires not P rated? Should be good for up to C load rating.

Wish this worked for me, my trailers are 10K GVWR and all require load-range D tires. You can't even get LT tires in D rating at least not in my wheel size.

Edit: just looked these up. The Goodyear Wrangler SR-A in P255/75R17 are P rated, but also carry a 2,535# load rating... So probably not bad for a 7k car hauler...

popedaddy

Loc.
Central Mississippi
Down here in Mississippi we run anything on a trailer that will hold air. If you asked someone if it was a P tire they would look at you like you were from mars.

those tires bouree mentioned would out perform 90% of the tires on the road down here - car, truck, or trailer.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
Just like the title says. This can be for your bronco, or like I am doing, for my hauler trailer. Buy a set for DD truck if you have 17" rims. I have 6 sorta mixed and matched Heep rims and tires on my hauler trailer. The rims are perfect for this application because they are the same 5x5 lug pattern, there are tons of them for sale on CL, and they typically have very good quality Goodyear Wrangler tires on them. Well I knew I would need a good set of tires before I even thought about driving to Super Celebration 2016, let alone any distance driving before then. So I have been on the look out for a good set. I saw an ad on CL a few days ago. It showed 3 different styles of Heep rims and tires. The prices seemed incredible, so I figured they were junk. There was no phone number, but there was an address. The address was for the local Heep Dealership. I drove over to the dealership, and was directed to the sales manager. He jumped in my truck with me, and we drove to the back of the dealership to a big warehouse. He unlocked the big roll up door, and there were maybe 30 sets of 5, of brand new take off tires and rims. He said they pull off maybe 4 sets a week to put larger custom rims and tires on. The rims are 17x7.5 aluminum rims. Tires are Goodyear Wrangler SR-A Raised White Letter, 255/75/R17. They are brand new. Maybe 3 miles on them. I bought 6 of them for $250. You might want to check your local Heep Dealership for the same deal. If not, drive to Baton Rouge and buy some of these. I wanted the Sahara Rims, which he had 10 sets of those, but a guy came in 2 days ago and bought all 50 tires and rims. They were selling those for $350 for a set of 5.

5 x 5 are an odd pattern for trailers too. My trailer has four steel rims and 4 car tires on it. Everyone I know has told me that the car tires do not have the sidewall strength needed for trailer use. I am in the process of switching over to trailer d rated tires. For this kind of pricing though I would jump on a set! They also have told me that aluminum car rims are not recommended for a trailer either but Like I said, for this kind of money I would have to think long and hard against saying no.

OP
OP
BoureeOne

BoureeOne

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madisonville, La
Thought I would give a little update on this. I realized that my axels are actually 5x4.5. These new rims are 5x5. I realized also that I needed a little more clearance on my fenders, so I moved the springs to on top of the axels. That got me about 3 inches. I also realized that the fenders were going to be a little tight between the new tires, so I made some mods to create some room. I also ordered some adapters to change from 5x4.5 to 5x5. I understand the comments about the rating of the tires. Yes a true trailer tire is the best choice. But I don't think these tires know the difference of being on an aggressive off road 4x4 vehicle, or on a car hauler. I would not hesitate to drive cross country with these tires.

Attachments

• IMG_20150523_101949757_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20150523_101949757_HDR (3).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20150524_135241288_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20150524_135241288_HDR (3).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150524_140030061_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20150524_140030061_HDR (3).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20150524_140207986_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20150524_140207986_HDR (3).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20150524_141344752_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20150524_141344752_HDR (3).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20150524_143500660 (3).jpg
    IMG_20150524_143500660 (3).jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 59

TAC71

Contributor
Trailer tires are designed for the side loads they will see. A tandem axle trailer will twist the carcass of the tie tire in turns. The tires actually have to twist to negotiate turns. Something that tires on a car wont see during normal use Eventually they will fail with loads. Been there ...tried that .... won't waste my time again.

ransil

Bronco Guru
not like trailer tires last a long time, I have seen so many "trailer "tire blow for no reason, tread separation or what ever sometimes you don't know what causes them by the time you get off the road its destroyed.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Trailer tires are for trailers...truck tires are for trucks. Get D or E rated tires for your trailer and be sure to get a good brand like Maxxis etc. Trailer tires get about 3,000-5,000 miles tops. Truck tires on a trailer I'd never try it. I have Goodyear SR-As on my pickup and they are 3/4s worn at 25,000 miles. They were factory equipped junk.

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
Maybe I been lucky?
I have been rnning car tires on my trailers for 40 years or more. Never had one blowout and I use to drag them old dirt cars all over the South. I have ALWAYS had to replace the tires due to dry rot cracking, way before they wore out.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
We are getting brand new trailers direct from the trailer manufacturer (big name, forget which on at the moment we have so many) and they are coming with LT truck tires. The LTs are doing much better than the regular trailer tires that we had been using. All in tandem axle applications with GVW ratings as low as 10k and some upwards of 15k. And we run them at about 80% load.

My personal stuff, tandem axle boat is running radial trailer tires (12" bastards). My standard box trailer for hauling the bike, making home depot runs, single axle, runs 14" P tires (and I don't load that trailer near to the capacity of the tires). The beater pickup bed trailer used for hauling landscape rock, more P tires that will likely die of rot before anything else.

One thing about running P or LT tires is they have a much higher speed rating. ST rated tires are speed rated at 65 MPH and if you overinflate by 10PSI they are good for 75 MPH (this is the tire manufacturer putting this in print, I have seen it myself). Around AZ it is common to be towing at 80MPH for long stretches. Sucks going into California and having to creep along in the slow lane.

Of all my personal trailer tire failures, most have been on trailer that were parked. The maypops turn into didpops. But that is mostly from using second hand junkyard tires and letting them rot in the sun for months or maybe even years before they finally let go.

House

Minutia Militia
I ran trailer tires on my fifth wheel toy hauler and got sick of losing them to separation.
I always kept them covered, aired up, and well within their load rating.
Once I switched to a Toyo LT I never lost another...? My feelings are the trailer tires are junk...