• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

I have Rick Halle's Bronco I guess: Looking for help

grinchyfella

I was told I bought Rick Halle's old bronco and I have questions. I was told he is extremely disliked due to custom top design and debt. I hope the people that read this don't take it out on me. I bought it from a guy who traded a mustang for it. I don't know whether to keep it or sell it and I was hoping I could get some insight on the rig. It leaks pretty much everywhere and I was curious about a few things. The rear diff leaks and has been shaved for clearance. I would like to know if it sealed after the modification or not. Why is the rear air locker not hooked up to a switch and ran directly off the bottle? Is the tie rod end the wrong size on the drivers side or is the knuckle shot? Why is the power steering line disconnected from the cooler? Any other info would help. I live in Oregon so I don't know a thing about the guy. Again I hope he is not held against me, I would just like some help if possible. Thanks, Steve 541-740-8080. I have the rig half ass for sale for $7,500.00 but I don't know if it is way to high or to low and I would like to keep it but I wanted to test the waters.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
too hard to tell by descriptions, but knowing rick things may have been done half ass. i don't think anybody is gonna hold it against you for owning the bronco, i think we just wanna know how to find him to recover some of the ripped off money.

like bundy said, see if you can post up some pics of the problems and we'll try and help you out.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Sounds like you are a couple of owners removed from Rick. Nobody should hold that against you.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
bottom lines its yours now no telling what he or the PO did to it. Now you just have to fix the issues. Its really been a few years since rick has been on this site so we wouldnt reallyknow what was up with his bronco especailly if it had another owner since that time.
Rear diff leaking well if its leaking from the shaved area then there welds were not very good. But I would make sure thats where it is leaking from it could be leaking from other places.
As for the rear locker hook up well who knows maybe they just liked it hooked up contantly. I'd double check to make sure it does have the locker installed still.
PS cooler not hooked up well maybe the line had a hole and they just bypassed it for a quick fix and never hooked it back up. Tie rod loose well your going to have to pull it apart and inspect it longer you let it go the more likely it is to wallow out the knuckle if it hasnt done so already.
really other than the tierod issue which is serious the rest is really nothing to worry about just stuff to tinker with.

zombie66

Loc.
Beaverton, oregon
Welcome to the board. It never hurts to check all your bolts, suspension, everything. And as far as anything that was welded before you got it I'd do some checks for any cracks. I think there was some welding issues people had with some soft top frames he put together not holding up when he was selling them. Never know!

crab

Bronco Guru
Post pics of the problem areas and you'll get a lot better response. Although, any pics of that bronco might bring back bad juju......

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
No bones to pick with you as the current owner. I am sure he spent a lot of money on the Bronco so fix it an enjoy it. Would be nice if you could track him down with some hard hitting buddies though. :+) My brother and I would love to take a trip to Oregon and come back with big smiles.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Welcome grinchyfell! Looks like Admin helped you out with a fresh start!

I figured you'd get some attention to your thread by mentioning the name of one of the previous owners. I don't think anyone here will associate you with that PO. I hope most everyone will keep in mind the spirit of this site, and offer you genuine help and advice.

The rear diff leaks and has been shaved for clearance. I would like to know if it sealed after the modification or not.
Done properly, shaving a 9" isn't a bad modification and should not leak. I suggest you get some degreaser/engine cleaner, clean off all the oil, then wait for it to reappear so you can confirm exactly where it's leaking. Then we can help.

Why is the rear air locker not hooked up to a switch and ran directly off the bottle?
Switches, wiring and solenoids are things that can fail. I don't own an ARB but run a selectable locker in the front and a Detroit in the back. I can see someone, for the sake of simplicity, deciding they will run an open differential on the street, and lock it up solid all the time when running off-road. Doesn't get much simpler than "open the valve" and "close the valve". If that doesn't work for you, the switch and solenoid aren't that expensive.

Is the tie rod end the wrong size on the drivers side or is the knuckle shot?
That''s going to be hard to tell, even with pictures. That will probably take some investigation on your part, like comparing the two sides. But there are repairs that can be done to the knuckle if it's worn. With a stock size tie-rod end, if the knuckle is worn, there are tapered bushings available that will work to repair the hole. Just ream out the hole a little bigger and install the bushing. Worst comes to worst, the hole can be brazed smaller, then reamed.

Why is the power steering line disconnected from the cooler?
As was suggesed, maybe there's an issue with the cooler, and bypassing the cooler was the simplest solution. Like bypassing a leaking heater core. Test the cooler for leaks and if it doesn't leak, hook it back up.

Any other info would help. I live in Oregon so I don't know a thing about the guy. Again I hope he is not held against me, I would just like some help if possible. Thanks, Steve 541-740-8080. I have the rig half ass for sale for $7,500.00 but I don't know if it is way to high or to low and I would like to keep it but I wanted to test the waters.
If you want to keep it, we can help get it fixed. If you want to sell it, post up some pictures and detailed discription and we can price it. It's up to you!

OP
OP
G

grinchyfella

I would love to know the worth of it. Where would I put up info and pics? I have it on Craigslist, can a link to that be sufficient for you? The listing is what I know from the previous guys description.
http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/2610549217.html

As far as the repairs I was hoping someone might know the issues before tearing into it. The tie rod as an example, (with fingers crossed), could have been the wrong size part put on the rig to get it off the trail then never replaced with the proper size.

Bundy

Bronco Guru
Become a contributor to post pics on the site or you can get a free photobucket account and use the links they provide after you upload them.

We prefer the former over the latter ;)

astark

Contributor
Bronco God
Here are the pics from the Craigslist add

Attachments

• 3ka3p03l45Y15U35X5b9l3534a5155dcb162a.jpg
    3ka3p03l45Y15U35X5b9l3534a5155dcb162a.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 3ka3p53l35V45Z55S4b9lc4f699b9630a129c.jpg
    3ka3p53l35V45Z55S4b9lc4f699b9630a129c.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 3kf3m43o45W45P35X0b9l80381883bdae10a1.jpg
    3kf3m43o45W45P35X0b9l80381883bdae10a1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 3n03m23lc5O05U05S6b9l2cbfc2553c4c1eb8.jpg
    3n03m23lc5O05U05S6b9l2cbfc2553c4c1eb8.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 62

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
As far as the repairs I was hoping someone might know the issues before tearing into it. The tie rod as an example, (with fingers crossed), could have been the wrong size part put on the rig to get it off the trail then never replaced with the proper size.

Sorry, you're not going to find anyone here intimate with the issues as the immediate PO wasn't a member here and the dingaling before him was banned some time ago.
You can probably research his posts for information on his rig AND/OR you can dig into the problems and take pics of anything in question and we can help you as you go along.
Sounds though as you intend to turn this around and make some dough, nothing wrong with that either, but it might be worth the investment to become a contributor to this group so we can help better.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Sorry, you're not going to find anyone here intimate with the issues as the immediate PO wasn't a member here and the dingaling before him was banned some time ago.

LMAO, that's a G rated word for him right ;) among many others.